Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Was just posting in another thread about the Logitech keyboard case. Thought I would share in case anyone coming from the iPad Air 2 made the same mistake I did. How could Apple get rid of such a great case?!? What do you guys use for full case protection? This is what I wrote in that thread:

"Maybe I should check on the iPad Pro 10.5" leather case that I ordered from Apple to make sure that they didn't change something from the way the leather case for my iPad Air 2 looks."

It was then that macduke realized that he f'd up.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They only have leather covers now, and they charge $69 for them? I'm pretty sure that's how much the whole leather case cost for my iPad Air 2! I might as well buy that keyboard cover for that kind of money! Guess I'm going to have to initiate the return process. That is super irritating! I love my 9.7" iPad Air 2 leather case. It's the best case I've ever owned. Why and when did they stop making it?

I get that it's my fault for not paying close attention, but I was trying to order quickly so I could get my order in on time before the shipping dates slipped or something. The names are very similar and I'm pretty sure it's the same price as my old leather case, so it didn't seem weird. Damn.

Reactions: RevTEG

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Went ahead and ordered the keyboard cover. Might as well!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
i'm interested how the keyboard looks on the 10.5. I know it is perfect for 12.9 but how the keyboard is on a smaller screen will be interesting.

think i will just stick with the smart cover

Reactions: macduke

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
The leather was my only case for my Air 2 that I've had since launch day in 2014. They discontinued the smart case with the introduction of the iPad pro and the keyboard case. Not sure what I'm going to buy since I would love to get a Zugu case but they never have anything ready for launch day.

Reactions: macduke

blitzwing

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I hope logitech releases the CREATE version for 10.5. The newly announced slim case isn't as nice as the CREATE imo

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I'm hoping that the back covers come for both 10.5 and 12.9 soon...

But does it ever happen ? That after some days of the product release Apple comes out with Covers for it ? Has it ever happened in the past ? Looks unlikely to me that now, Apple will come out with the back covers for the 10.5" iPP !

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
But does it ever happen ? That after some days of the product release Apple comes out with Covers for it ? Has it ever happened in the past ? Looks unlikely to me that now, Apple will come out with the back covers for the 10.5" iPP !

Not so sure about that. Apple may just have decided to not make a back cover. People complained about the cost but I have found little better that adds so little to the device size and weight.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
New accessories come out all the time.

I agree this is weird and not understandable. Why would Apple choose to leave that money on the table?

cjhacker23

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
Not so sure about that. Apple may just have decided to not make a back cover. People complained about the cost but I have found little better that adds so little to the device size and weight.

My beef was that the front cover (of the Pro 9.7) by itself didn't fit properly, it was too big and flopped around. A rare and surprising design fail on Apple's part. Apple told me it was "meant" to pair with the back cover. Ugh, that back cover added too much bulk and weight and hid the beauty of the design, IMO. I wanted what I had with the iPad Air: a bare tablet with a form-fitting front cover.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
The leather was my only case for my Air 2 that I've had since launch day in 2014. They discontinued the smart case with the introduction of the iPad pro and the keyboard case. Not sure what I'm going to buy since I would love to get a Zugu case but they never have anything ready for launch day.

The keyboard isn't a case, it's a cover. I ordered it because I'm going to have to get some kind of back protection anyway, might as well spend the extra to get the keyboard.

My beef was that the front cover (of the Pro 9.7) by itself didn't fit properly, it was too big and flopped around. A rare and surprising design fail on Apple's part. Apple told me it was "meant" to pair with the back cover. Ugh, that back cover added too much bulk and weight and hid the beauty of the design, IMO. I wanted what I had with the iPad Air: a bare tablet with a form-fitting front cover.

So they used to sell a back cover to go along with the front covers and keyboard cover? I skipped the first Pro so I didn't pay attention. I remember for older iPads that third parties used to sell rear cases to go along with smart covers. I freaking love the Apple leather case on my Air 2 so much. It's really disappointing that it's not even an option. I work at a university so I'm always toting my iPad all around campus, and that case as saved me a few times. I know so many people who have cracked their iPads around campus because they didn't have adequate protection.

Reactions: BlueParadox

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

My Apple 9.7 front cover and back covered seemed to fit fine for me.

I do not want to leave the back of the device uncovered so I can lay it down and not worry about any scratches. I really wish they would do the smart case again but that will not happen here.

Hopefully a 3rd party will make something to cover the back of my 10.5

Reactions: bevsb2 and RevTEG

cjhacker23

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
The keyboard isn't a case, it's a cover. I ordered it because I'm going to have to get some kind of back protection anyway, might as well spend the extra to get the keyboard.

So they used to sell a back cover to go along with the front covers and keyboard cover? I skipped the first Pro so I didn't pay attention. I remember for older iPads that third parties used to sell rear cases to go along with smart covers. I freaking love the Apple leather case on my Air 2 so much. It's really disappointing that it's not even an option. I work at a university so I'm always toting my iPad all around campus, and that case as saved me a few times. I know so many people who have cracked their iPads around campus because they didn't have adequate protection.

yeah, for the ipad airs, if i remember right, there were two options: the silicone smart cover, or the leather full case (i agree, i had the leather case for my 1st gen ipad air, and it was lovely). the smart cover paired perfectly with the bare ipad, and of course the leather case was form fitting, so that fit perfectly as well. when i upgraded to the thinner, lighter ipad air 2, i just got the front smart cover and kept the back bare, and boy was that nice. so light and thin and beautiful to hold!

then came the ipad pro (9.7). there was a silicone back cover, and a front smart cover that was designed to pair with the back cover, and the keyboard cover (also designed to pair with the back cover. however, the front cover, on its own, didn't fit. there was this slight but really annoying overhang that made the magnets not catch the cover, so it just kind of flopped around. it was really quite useless. if you look at the review of that smart cover on their website, it gets an average of 1.5 stars, with countless complaints about its poor fit. it's a small thing, granted, but it was surprising that apple, with all its attention to detail, would let that out the door.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

cjhacker23

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
My Apple 9.7 front cover and back covered seemed to fit fine for me.

I do not want to leave the back of the device uncovered so I can lay it down and not worry about any scratches. I really wish they would do the smart case again but that will not happen here.

Hopefully a 3rd party will make something to cover the back of my 10.5

The front and back paired fine. As I said, they were meant to pair together. The issue was when you *only* used the front cover. This is how they marketed the ipad air and air 2, with just a front smart cover. It fit great on the bare ipad (if you wanted full protection, they offered a full leather case for that purpose). the problem was with the ipad pro covers. the front covers by themselves did not fit properly. they hung over the front edge, in order to match up with the back cover. but if you didn't have a back cover, the front cover was too big and just flopped around.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The front and back paired fine. As I said, they were meant to pair together. The issue was when you *only* used the front cover. This is how they marketed the ipad air and air 2, with just a front smart cover. It fit great on the bare ipad (if you wanted full protection, they offered a full leather case for that purpose). the problem was with the ipad pro covers. the front covers by themselves did not fit properly. they hung over the front edge, in order to match up with the back cover. but if you didn't have a back cover, the front cover was too big and just flopped around.

I understand and will look closely at my 9.7 back cover to see why it would effect the fit of the front cover. I had to actually use my thumb to slide the front cover for enough overhang to grab it and open it.

I have ordered a third party back cover for now and my front cover will arrive tomorrow for the 10.5 that will arrive next week.

cjhacker23

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
I ... will look closely at my 9.7 back cover to see why it would effect the fit of the front cover.

Better yet, take off the back cover and keep on the front cover. It hangs over the edge of the bare ipad. The smart covers for the Air and Air 2 were flush. The real issue comes when you fold it back. The Air/2 covers clicked nicely against the magents and stayed in place, fitting perfectly against the edges. The newer covers, because they're a bit too big, don't stay put when folded back.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
I ordered the 2nd one because it will work with Apple's cover where the first one will not. For $7.99 it is worth it while waiting on something better.

I just ordered the same thing for the wife and I. I wanted something that would work w/ the outrageously overpriced smart cover I just purchased.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I ordered the 2nd one because it will work with Apple's cover where the first one will not. For $7.99 it is worth it while waiting on something better.

I wonder why the first one isn't compatible with the smart cover... it does say that, but it says it is compatible with the smart keyboard. Am I missing something?

Reactions: RevTEG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.