Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
Hello,

By the end of June 2022 I received MacbookPro 2021 16 inch in original packing from my employer for work.
I was his owner for 18 days then I have to give it back to our IT department, because it was logging me off continuously and it was taking a lot of time for it to turn on.
I was thinking that it is some compliance issue.
They have send it to service. And in service they told us that the notebook was water damaged and disassembled unprofessionally..
I have done anything from it...it was the company notebook so I had no reason do it.
Please, check the pictures before judging anything.
095BBD80-716E-4F81-9968-14960EFCED9B.jpeg

A3ACAC94-A154-43EE-9E6F-3BABEC881307.jpeg

F33739BA-B1D9-4622-91DE-1A6B63F3FCE6.jpeg

FAB00EF1-8B89-4C47-B30D-E783C9B16522.jpeg

The laptop was completely rusty, my issues were due to cable being disconnected from motherboard due to how much corroded it was and it just fallen off...
I am writing into this forum, because I would like to know, if anyone knows, if this level of corrosion can happen in 2-3 weeks. I started having problems with it after 8 days.
I am communicating with Apple support and service for two weeks, but the not able to check, if that notebook was really new or tell, how such a corrosion can appear in two weeks.
I received a corroded and disassembled notebook and I have no idea, what to do about it
Does anyone have any experience with it?

The notebook is in factory right now for claim, but I am not sure if I should bother to go to another service or there is really any other way how to tell
I would be thankful for any help

Kristina

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
Perhaps the poster can be clearer why they are asking. For example does the IT department blame them for the damage? The author is looking for information to prove it cannot have been them if water corrosion takes longer?

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
Hello everyone, thanks for reply.
Yeah, in fact no one in our IT department knows how to disassemble MAC. We are mostly Dell company, but in our team we are using Docker often, so we can use MacBook.
And I care for two reasons.
  1. We do not have the insured notebook so the company in similar cases want the money back from employee (It will be decided in disciplinary commission)
  2. I received a corroded notebook that looked completely fine from the outside and it worked without bigger issues for 8 days. I would like to know, what kind of magic is this and how that could happen :(
Honestly I am mostly searching for proof that it could not have been me. The IT departments blames me (or my relatives) but my Macbook is always locked in my room where only I can enter. And my parents would not disassemble Mac, we do not even have that instruments.

I was speaking with my managers and they are fully supporting, fortunately. But I was really baffled when I saw that pictures and I would like to show something more to the disciplinary commission than swear on my soul.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: LeeW and robotica

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Is this one of those threads where you're trying to get someone to say a specific thing so that you can try and use it as proof of something at the Apple Store or something like that? (From what I've heard that never works)

That aside, there's no way of knowing what happened to that computer. Obviously somebody did something to it. So it was either whoever had it before you, or it was you.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Sounds like that IT department to me. There is always someone who wants to have a go when they don't know what they are doing.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I would ask your managers why the IT department does not spend a measly $399 for insurance on a $2K+ device. That’s just asinine.

Reactions: davidg4781

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
There's something missing from this story that we don't know, and I'm guessing the OP will probably never come back.
Seriously. When my CTO asked about warranties on our machines I plainly told him “I will not be involved in purchasing any computers for this company without a warranty. The cost of just dealing with the logistics of repairs without them is not worth my or my teams time”.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Sounds like a 'he said, she said' situation where the only ones who know the truth are the OP and whoever previously used this laptop and may (or may not) have caused the issue.

It should be the companies responsibility to maintain the devices they provide to employees and unless the employee signs some kind of document taking responsibility for damage then there should be no basis for requiring the employee to pay for damage, even if it was the employees fault.

Of course that doesn't mean that the employer cannot hold the employee responsible anyway, and the only recourse would be some kind of action against the employer that creates the kind of conflict that nobody wants to have.

Unfortunate. The employer should be able to trust an employee and expect them to be honest regarding whether or not they did or did not do anything to cause this. It sounds to me that the OP's manager is believing his story, so there does not seem to be any issue here after all. As to what may have caused this, again if whoever was actually responsible does not take responsibility, then that will never become clear.

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
That is nice that all of you are saying, but it will not help me to solve the issue if two weeks old notebook could be this corroded. I received that notebook in original packing, so just imagine that it would happen to any of you.
I have never throw liquid on it or opened it, and still I am trying to find out what could have happened, because from what I know I received completely corroded notebook that was in original packing.
If I would buy it on my own, I would lost over 2K dollars.
Now, as it is a company notebook, maybe I will pay, maybe no, but it will be exactly that kind of he said-she said story.
Because in Apple support, they are not even able to find out, where that notebook was sold, so there is now way for me to know, if it was some scam with older notebook

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Again, why would any of this be your problem if this is truly a "company laptop"? Just give it back to them. If they're going this hard at you about the damage, they must feel pretty strongly that you did this.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
That is nice that all of you are saying, but it will not help me to solve the issue if two weeks old notebook could be this corroded. I received that notebook in original packing, so just imagine that it would happen to any of you.
I have never throw liquid on it or opened it, and still I am trying to find out what could have happened, because from what I know I received completely corroded notebook that was in original packing.
If I would buy it on my own, I would lost over 2K dollars.
Now, as it is a company notebook, maybe I will pay, maybe no, but it will be exactly that kind of he said-she said story.
Because in Apple support, they are not even able to find out, where that notebook was sold, so there is now way for me to know, if it was some scam with older notebook
Does your IT department not configure the computer before handing it over to employees??? They have employees do the setup?

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
I gave it back to them. They are not going strongly after me, unfortunately, in our company is it normal that you have to pay it. Managers believe me, because many of them drowned their laptops and they were working after, so they know the difference between the corrosion they have caused and what is on the pictures. And we are as well as lucky, that for macbooks we are doing the setups on our own, because our company is mostly using dells. So at least our IT department is all clean in this, lucky ones

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Does your IT department not configure the computer before handing it over to employees??? They have employees do the setup?
Every time I get a new MacBook from work, it comes in the retail box and shrink wrapped straight from Apple. It's usually a new one, but my 16" Pro seems to be one that someone else used for a couple of months and then left the company, so it was sent back to Apple to be repackaged and cleaned up and formatted and then they send it straight to me. The particular computer you're talking about hasn't even been on the market a full year. It's not like it's been sitting around on someone's desk since 2015, they spilled their coffee on it, and then sent it to you.

The last 3 positions I've held have worked this way, whether you're a Mac or Windows person. The company usually has a partnership worked out with all the major hardware vendors so they can more easily handle warranty problems, fix problems for you quicker than IT can, and get you replacements for things when necessary.

There's something you're leaving out of this story. I know there is.

Reactions: VaruLV

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Ok I'll say it: no one here is going to be able to tell you why a 2 week old computer is rusty.
Based on the information you have told us, what exactly do you want us to say?
Is this normal? Obviously, no.
There is more to this tale than you know, or more to this tale than you are telling us.
Either way, we cannot help.

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
If you cannot help that is all that you need to say. I was hoping someone here might has experience on this, but I see that this is another pointless discussion.
Maybe this thread will at least help someone else, when they will find out that the new notebook they receiveid is ready for thrash.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Every time I get a new MacBook from work, it comes in the retail box and shrink wrapped straight from Apple. It's usually a new one, but my 16" Pro seems to be one that someone else used for a couple of months and then left the company, so it was sent back to Apple to be repackaged and cleaned up and formatted and then they send it straight to me. The particular computer you're talking about hasn't even been on the market a full year. It's not like it's been sitting around on someone's desk since 2015, they spilled their coffee on it, and then sent it to you.

The last 3 positions I've held have worked this way, whether you're a Mac or Windows person. The company usually has a partnership worked out with all the major hardware vendors so they can more easily handle warranty problems, fix problems for you quicker than IT can, and get you replacements for things when necessary.

There's something you're leaving out of this story. I know there is.
Okay so your business is enrolled in one of Apple’s enterprise programs, like how you can get an Autopilot agreement with Lenovo and others to be pre-enrolled in an MDM solution. Employee gets machine and connects to the internet, machine checks in to the company, policies are applied.

Somehow I don’t think a company that doesn’t buy a warranty on a computer has the smarts to set up and enroll in this kind of MDM solution. So you’re right, we’re missing entire chunks of this story from the OP.

Reactions: spiderman0616

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
If you cannot help that is all that you need to say. I was hoping someone here might has experience on this, but I see that this is another pointless discussion.
Maybe this thread will at least help someone else, when they will find out that the new notebook they receiveid is ready for thrash.
Listen, I’ve clearly engaged in good faith on this thread. But there’s a lot of things that don’t add up here from the logistics of how your IT department works.

I gave you an opening to see whether the machine was handled by your IT staff prior to you getting it, but you say the device was in factory condition. So there’s a lot that doesn’t add up here, purely from the perspective of it sounds like the company you work for is entirely inept…or we’re not getting the full story.

Reactions: MajorFubar

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
Unfortunatly, you are not missing anything. They are enrolled in Apple enterprise program, but they do not buy warranty.
Why, I have no idea. I was pretty surprised by that as well, but it seems like they think they will save some money on that.
But any of this post can help me to answer my question. If you think I am liar, you can think that. I have no issue with that. You can ignore this thread as you are lucky enough that you did not received that notebook.

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
They are quite inept when they have to handle the macbooks. We have only guy that is providing us the support for mac in a pretty big company and he is really not at all into it.
And I am not sure what does not add up to you. Our IT department buys a laptop. I take it from IT department and to the setup because they do not want to lay a finger on that.
We are very small team in that company that uses macbooks, and mostly they are angry that they even have to handle that

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
Who took the photos that you included with your original post? Was it disassembled by your IT group and the damage found before it was sent out for service?
no at the service. All the pictures were taken there. Our IT department, does not open macbooks, from the reasons that I mentioned above

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
This are even the reasons, why I do not worry that much about the paying, because they did not check anything.
At that notebook was having small issues from the start, that I raised, but seemed unimportant for all of us and we thought it will get better with some update...
As I mentioned, I really worry more because I should have received a new notebook but it was completely corroded. And dissembled.
So I think there was some scam made on me and I would like to have at least some proof-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.