Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I really can't believe it is that corroded after just a few weeks of ownership even if you had spilt something in it.

Reactions: Koleso

Koleso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
I really can't believe it is that corroded after just a few weeks of ownership even if you had spilt something in it.
Yeah...I was really having it only for 18 days. Moreover, the serviceman told me there was no burning as well (at first I thought that the port burnt after seeing the pictures). You would say there will be soem short circuits or something, but practically the only issue was, that the cable deteriorated from the mother boards. My keybords, tochpad (I was nou using ports) everything was working

Pierre535

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Was the laptop shrink wrapped when you received it? Besides that, absolutely no one here can help you as we have no idea what/when this happened!

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
I would ask your managers why the IT department does not spend a measly $399 for insurance on a $2K+ device. That’s just asinine.
That sounds like a crazy amount to spend on insurance for a device like that. Let’s say brand new it is $2,800 then the insurance is 1/7th of the price of the new unit. So to break even you would have to assume that out of every seven units you buy at least one will be damaged without the option for a repair. You are likely better off not buying any insurance and just buying a spare brand new machine for every seven units.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
That sounds like a crazy amount to spend on insurance for a device like that. Let’s say brand new it is $2,800 then the insurance is 1/7th of the price of the new unit. So to break even you would have to assume that out of every seven units you buy at least one will be damaged without the option for a repair. You are likely better off not buying any insurance and just buying a spare brand new machine for every seven units.
We keep them running until they can’t anymore, so we get the battery replaced under warranty at the end of life and down cycle from there.

We have 10 macs, to 400ish PC’s. I *never* have to deal with those Macs. Nobody cares that’s I get the warranty, but it pays for itself with one or two broken screens and the free battery replacements.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Why would IT disassemble a brand new computer the company purchased themselves before sending it back to Apple to have them assess it?
There's so much doesn't make sense about his scenario that you could ask questioners forever.
As soon as a two week old laptop doesn't work you send it back to the supplier, what you don't do is go p*ssing around inside it when you (OP's IT dept) have zero experience of servicing and repairing Macbooks.
None of this makes sense at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.