Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
See, you purchased it when it was compatible with Mavericks, and I did that when I used High Sierra, i.e. this year, and as of this day High Sierra is the minimum (not even Sierra). So, no, it's not possible.
Have you tried it? I'm just checking, because I've done this with lots of apps that I definitely purchased after Mavericks compatibility was dropped, and it has always worked. You must attempt the download from the purchased screen in order for it to offer the option.

(Do Something When is working great too, though.)

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Writing from Mavericks. Nope, as I said not possible, tells me to update to High Sierra and higher and the situation is recurring: I purchased an app in High Sierra's MAS and wanted to download a Mavericks-compatible version, no dice. I'll take a look at that another app you mentioned, although have never heard of it.
Anyway, I always strive to learn new things, so I don't mind bet over blocks if it means I'll become smarter.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Writing from Mavericks. Nope, as I said not possible, tells me to update to High Sierra and higher and the situation is recurring: I purchased an app in High Sierra's MAS and wanted to download a Mavericks-compatible version, no dice.

That's so strange! Just for reference, the app store says I bought "Readkit" on October 16, 2019, less than a year ago, and many years after that app dropped Mavericks support. I was using a High Sierra machine at the time of purchase. But on Mavericks, it still offers to let me use the last compatible version if I click "Install" from the purchase page. I wonder why it's different for you.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Downloaded. I'm not sure I'm using it right but a lot of options are greyed out, it sees only 1 partition, not the one with Mavericks (the active volume's name is "OS X Mavericks", not "Macintosh HD" and the latter is dedicated to Lion), although it's active and bootable. See yourself. Seems not developed in years.
do-smth-when.png

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Downloaded. I'm not sure I'm using it right but a lot of options are greyed out, it sees only 1 partition, not the one with Mavericks (the active volume's name is "OS X Mavericks", not "Macintosh HD" and the latter is dedicated to Lion), although it's active and bootable. See yourself. Seems not developed in years.
Change "Mounts" to "Launches" and "Select Application" will become available (because you can't mount an application!) Then you can run your Applescript applet when iTunes is opened.

Reactions: maverick28

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Ok, so now that I had time to play with this utility, it kinda works when it doesn't crash but it can't run compiled scripts, at least AppleScript ones. Instead, it opens them as ordinary documents. Guess, this is it.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Ok, so now that I had time to play with this utility, it kinda works when it doesn't crash but it can't run compiled scripts, at least AppleScript ones. Instead, it opens then as ordinary documents. Guess, this is it.
Export the Applescripts as apps!

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
It actually works, when a script is saved as an applet, just like you said it would. Not as versatile as EventScripts (though I'm not sure whether it was the case when Mavericks and Lion were the hit of the day) but enough for what I wanted to achieve. The thing is since it was last updated in 2005, in the "Tiger" era, it relaunches SysPrefs in a 32-bit mode. I tried to find the developer, Ahmad Ahzari (which, I suppose, is the correct spelling and "Azahri" in the "About" pulldown could be misspelt either inadvertently or on purpose), and there're references to him here and there but no contact information and Twitter wasn't much of a help either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.