Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
hi guys just want to know what you think about these 2 photos it's been a week since i started to take photos

3903706309_a542820179_o.jpg

3903700905_2d68393c77_o.jpg

thanks in advance

captainmeowtron

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
I like the first one, although I can't tell exactly what it is. It has atmosphere. The second one is a little average for me.
I'd mess around with the first one and try different colors than orange, just to see. :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Neither one is sharp, and they don't look intentionally blurry, so the blurriness is unappealing.

In the dark one, I can't make out what I'm supposed to be looking at. The right orange tip of the (faux?) cat-o-nine tail draws the eye because it is the brightest point in the frame, but that bit is out of focus, and there is all of this fussy stuff around it demanding some attention...and then there is the shadow. So there is a lot of visual competition and no sense of resolution in this one.

The outdoors one is similar. What is the subject of the photograph? The rock? If so, it should be in focus, and should have more "presence" in the frame, either by being larger or by being framed by something or by having leading lines running toward it (and there are other ways, of course). In addition, this shot lacks interesting light, so it has a very plain, matter-of-fact quality about it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
cat-o-nine tail draws the eye because it is the brightest point in the frame, but that bit is out of focus, and there is all of this fussy stuff around it demanding some attention...

It's a cattail, a cat-o-nine-tails is a whip. Three lashes for the misuse, unless it was wishful thinking, then none at all! :p

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
hi guys just want to know what you think about these 2 photos it's been a week since i started to take photos

3903706309_a542820179_o.jpg

3903700905_2d68393c77_o.jpg

thanks in advance

The first one has no compositional elements to help it- be it leading lines, negative space or contrast- any of which would help. You should know that the eye is generally drawn to the brightest spot in a picture, and will follow diagonal lines as well, so those are good basic compositional elements.

The second one is taken mid-day which is the worst time to take pictures as the light is "flat" and doesn't add contrast. try early morning and late evening when the light is slanted and has more contrast giving detail to the subject as well as colors that aren't washed out.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It's hard to see what the first image is about. That is OK some tine just line and color is good but abstract images need some kind of "composition". If the main subject of the secocond image is a water fountain then it is not well isolated, white on nearly white make it hard to see and there are to many elements in the photo.

The main rule: get close then take two more steps

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
thank you so much for the comments and suggestions you gave me at least i know what i did wrong and that i still have a lot to learn in photography can't wait to read understanding exposure by bryan peterson to learn about more. hope to hear from you guyz the next time i'll need suggestions and comments
but for now i'll practice more to improve in taking photos

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
but for now i'll practice more to improve in taking photos

That is by far the best way to learn, practice, practice and a bit more of the same.

I assume you are using digital? In which case it's free to practice, unlike when I started on film and it cost a fortune.

Also I would recommend putting the camera into full manual mode (if possible) and then playing around with the exposures that way. Yes you'll get a lot of shots that are under or over exposed but you'll learn a lot more than you can do in full auto.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Surprised nobody has asked yet.

But were you trying to do anyway, what are the purpose for these images to exist. These are just snaps or they look like those test shots you take before taking snaps.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Well

"But were you trying to do anyway, what are the purpose for these images to exist. These are just snaps or they look like those test shots you take before taking snaps."

Not trying to be offensive or argumentative or anything, but CrackedButter, after havinga look at your site provided in public profile, most of the images seem to be in the same "Just snaps" general feel.

IMO i don't think that every photo needs to have a "purpose." I think alot of photography is just capturing the randomness of life. Some of my best shots, imo, were "just snapped" and ended up being my most popular.

Again, CrackedButter, nothing against your photos, I actually really like alot of them for the "just snapped" feel they convey. I just get tired of hearing that mindset preached.

OP: Framing, framing, Framing. With your 2nd shot, nothing is the center of attention. It is so busy with things sticking out of the frame that could have easily been captured in their entirety. But keep it up, and just keep shooting!

The way I look at it, the more annoying your friends think you are for constantly shooting, the better you will potentially get.

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
i'm not offended coz the truth is i'm only at the first steps of learning how to take photos seriously.
all of the images i took were in full manual mode coz i thought that's the best way to learn how to take pics with an eos 500d. infact i always bring my camera with me so i that i can take photos anytime i can.
guyz i have a question to ask you is it a good idea to take another lense maybe an 18-200 or 55-250 or i should stick with 18-55 for the meantime?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
i'm not offended coz the truth is i'm only at the first steps of learning how to take photos seriously.
all of the images i took were in full manual mode coz i thought that's the best way to learn how to take pics with an eos 500d. infact i always bring my camera with me so i that i can take photos anytime i can.
guyz i have a question to ask you is it a good idea to take another lense maybe an 18-200 or 55-250 or i should stick with 18-55 for the meantime?

The 18-55, assuming it's the IS version, is a very capable little lens. If there is one other lens a beginner should consider it would be the "nifty fifty," the Canon 50mm f/1.8, which is very affordable (only about $100). Basically any fast prime is recommendable, but that one gets you in the door for a nominal outlay of cash.

The reason I recommend a fast lens (by "fast" I mean it has a wide maximum aperture/low f-number) is because it will enable you to experiment with shallow depth of field (sharp subject, blurry background), which is a great technique for practicing subject separation--it forces you to think about the subject/setting relationship. Also, having a prime lens will force you to "zoom" with your feet and think more about your positioning in relation to your subject. If you can get the hang of a single focal length with a variety of apertures, you should be able to advance nicely from there. I think it's a good way to start out.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
18-200

The 18-200 f/3.5 IS is a pretty useful lens, but my advice is to listen to phrasiekliea and get the 50mm f/1.2. I have been shooting for years now and finally got around to buying that little guy, and boy, oh boy, what a lens. Dirt cheap. Feels dirt cheap. Looks dirt cheap. BUT the images it can produce are fantastic, ESPECIALLY when you take the price into consideration.

get the 50mm f/1.2 first, then go from there. One of my biggest regrets was not picking that up immediately after my dslr.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America

My purpose wouldn't be to offend, I'm just rather blunt. Glad you're not offended, I'm still interested in the purpose of these images though.

"But were you trying to do anyway, what are the purpose for these images to exist. These are just snaps or they look like those test shots you take before taking snaps."

Not trying to be offensive or argumentative or anything, but CrackedButter, after havinga look at your site provided in public profile, most of the images seem to be in the same "Just snaps" general feel.

IMO i don't think that every photo needs to have a "purpose." I think alot of photography is just capturing the randomness of life. Some of my best shots, imo, were "just snapped" and ended up being my most popular.

Again, CrackedButter, nothing against your photos, I actually really like alot of them for the "just snapped" feel they convey. I just get tired of hearing that mindset preached.

OP: Framing, framing, Framing. With your 2nd shot, nothing is the center of attention. It is so busy with things sticking out of the frame that could have easily been captured in their entirety. But keep it up, and just keep shooting!

The way I look at it, the more annoying your friends think you are for constantly shooting, the better you will potentially get.

Don't worry about offending me, anything goes.

But I am interested in how you can jump from the images presented here to my own work and would like a better explanation before I reply. :)

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
thank you so much guys i'll see if i can buy that 50mm lens so i can practice to shoot with the depth of field at least acceptable :)
hope to post some photos as soon as possible coz i'm a bit busy now with my work

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
The 18-200 f/3.5 IS is a pretty useful lens, but my advice is to listen to phrasiekliea and get the 50mm f/1.2. I have been shooting for years now and finally got around to buying that little guy, and boy, oh boy, what a lens. Dirt cheap. Feels dirt cheap. Looks dirt cheap. BUT the images it can produce are fantastic, ESPECIALLY when you take the price into consideration.

get the 50mm f/1.2 first, then go from there. One of my biggest regrets was not picking that up immediately after my dslr.

I think you mean 50 1.8. The 1.2 is beautiful, but damn is it expensive (somewhere north of $1500).

OP the 1.8's come up used all the time (with very little use). The 1.8 is slow to focus in low light and lacks full-time-manual focusing, so many people upgrade to the 1.4 (~$350). Anyway, the 1.8 isn't bad to start with, so buy used and save yourself some money (and the tax). If you want to upgrade in the future, you can sell and get your money back.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
jexzy these are a massive improvement on what you produced before that were out of focus and blurry, try and keep your vertical lines vertical and your horizontal, horizontal!

You have a great little kit lens, work out what you want to shoot, and then look at other lenses.. The 55-250is is also a capable little performer.

Get yourself over to: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Theres lots of great tips, advice etc, but the best step you can take is reading the book you have bought which is excellent! and then practice!

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
yeah i know i still have to fix a lot of things but i wanted to post photos without fixing them in pp just to know your opinions about them. i'm glad that someone said that i have some improvements compare to the first photos i posted well the learning process is still long let's see how far i can get

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
yeah i know i still have to fix a lot of things but i wanted to post photos without fixing them in pp just to know your opinions about them. i'm glad that someone said that i have some improvements compare to the first photos i posted well the learning process is still long let's see how far i can get

Only show your best photography, otherwise why bother? You've done the right thing by making an edit, now edit those images before showing them.

You wouldn't want to show off a new car that is dirty when asking people what do they think of your car. The first thing they will say is that the car is dirty, because its in the way of viewing the car. So you'd clean it first before showing it off, do the same with your images.

After that you won't get comments from others saying you should edit them. It wastes everybody's time.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I have to agree with CrackedButter. If you're going to post a photo for critique, it should be ready for viewing--a finished product. Otherwise, people will just tell you what you already know (it's crooked, too dark, etc.), and you'll be less likely to get any really useful feedback.

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
well thats only my point of view and i'm really very sorry if i've waisted your precious time looking at my photos next time i'll try to edit them before posting. thanks anyway

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
well thats only my point of view and i'm really very sorry if i've waisted your precious time looking at my photos next time i'll try to edit them before posting. thanks anyway

No need to be flippant. We're trying to help you. You have to admit it's not the best use of your own time to invite people to tell you what you already know.

So try to take it all in stride and post something when you feel it's ready and you really stand to gain from the feedback you'll receive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.