Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
don't get me wrong phrasikleia as a matter of fact i do appreciate your help and your comments helps me a lot to keep on learning every single day. that's why i registered to this forum. unfotunately i don't have any program to edit my photos other than iphoto hope to have one soon so i hope you understand

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
don't get me wrong phrasikleia as a matter of fact i do appreciate your help and your comments helps me a lot to keep on learning every single day. that's why i registered to this forum. unfotunately i don't have any program to edit my photos other than iphoto hope to have one soon so i hope you understand

iPhoto has a straighten tool.

iPhoto is fine for what you're doing at the moment. What is it you think you need from something else like Photoshop or LR or AP. I don't use Photoshop that much and its very complex. Drill down into iPhoto first, know it inside out they you'll know what you want from a high software package.

Also...

Don't be flippant, and expect criticism, some of us don't mess around and will be blunt. Think of it this way, those that do comment actually care and want to help so don't react negatively. IT was me who said you wouldn't show off a dirty car so why show unfinished images. You have to admit there is a logic to it, but at the same time you shouldn't take it personally either. Keep shooting.

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
Rule number one of asking for critiques on a forum - take everything in stride and thank everyone who replies for their time, even if you disagree. Nothing makes people not want to help you like giving attitude back to people after you asked them to criticize your work.

I've had a lot of my stuff critiqued on Flickr, and some of it has been just brutal. You just have to take it in stride and use the info to get better.

Your subsequent shots are much improved from your first shots. You first landscape was flat, and the trees with the cut-off tops were jarring. Their was nothing interesting about it at all.

Your cathedral shots were much more interesting. It's a great place to shoot, and you had some nice lighting going on in the shots. They were skewed, but that can be fixed.

Check out some of Bryan Peterson's books - most people start with "Understanding Exposure." Worth the investment, IMO.

Good luck!

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
thanks for the advice crackedbutter,and sorry i didn't mean to be flippant and personally i like to receive comments especially from guyz like you that has more knowledge than me in photography coz it's a way to learn more things.
i'll try to fix the photos and repost it as soon as i have more time to spend. and i got my book only yesterday so i still have to start reading it.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
thanks for the advice crackedbutter,and sorry i didn't mean to be flippant and personally i like to receive comments especially from guyz like you that has more knowledge than me in photography coz it's a way to learn more things.
i'll try to fix the photos and repost it as soon as i have more time to spend. and i got my book only yesterday so i still have to start reading it.

Hey no worries, I was in your shoes once, uploading pics without editing them just because I was eager to receive feedback on the content instead. But it can't be done that way.

Take some pictures of people. Do some portraits.

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
ok i'll do some portraits as soon as someone that i know has some spare time to spend, they are too busy thats why i'm always all alone walking around rome to take some shots maybe i'll post a picture that i took the other day and edited with iphoto.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
ok i'll do some portraits as soon as someone that i know has some spare time to spend, they are too busy thats why i'm always all alone walking around rome to take some shots maybe i'll post a picture that i took the other day and edited with iphoto.

When doing portraits make sure you nail the focus on the eye and compose everything else around that. As viewers it is the thing we most connect with when judging whether a portrait is good or not.

Also if you have a female sitter just remember to ask yourself whether the portrait is good because it's fundamentally a good picture or because the sitter was beautiful to begin with.

I still make that mistake when doing my documentary work. Thinking I have a great picture when I don't, because i've confused it with being just beautiful.

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
here are my edited photos hope i didn't screw

3927898091_2f6c57e9e4_o.jpg

3928679434_5d6925dbf0_o.jpg

3927896707_8bc158803c_o.jpg

3928678870_dbdbe33e6a_o.jpg

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
Very nice! I like the first in particular - very interesting angle (an intentional one this time ;) ) looking up on the ruins.

The second is still skewed - look at the roofline of the main building.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Much better. Still need to use the straighten tool on the last 2 or position yourself in a way so that the image is symmetrical in camera first.

You got no blown highlights or anything!

jexzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
rome
hi guys just wanted to post other photos to hear your opinions if i made some developments :)
3985027274_a430cca7b3_o.jpg

3984265845_207b0d3a81_o.jpg

3985030966_077f9ed6b0_o.jpg

thank you in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.