Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Hi guys, I don't know whether I should open a new thread, so I just continue in this thread, this is supposedly a macro photo, but I don't have a macro lense, and I use tamron 17-50mm, taken at f 4.5 iso 800 and speed 1/80 at 50mm. so what do you think?

Attachments

• DSC_5971.jpg
    DSC_5971.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_5956.jpg
    DSC_5956.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 72

bhdean

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
Houston
In regards to your first set of shots.

Try playing with your depth of field. I don't know what lens you have, but try going to your lowest aperture setting (your Fstops) to set a shallower DoF. This will help you isolate your subject from the back ground.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The subjects are nice and sharp and contrasty. The backgrounds are very artificial-looking though- unless there's something very pleasing visually about the background you really want a more natural looking background for nature subjects, even if they are shot in a controlled and artificial environment.

Paul

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Nice! She's expensive enough as it is!

My exposures are so much better when I borrow my friends SB600 or my sisters SB800. These were taken with two SB600's as a slaves last Christmas. The back light was window light pretty much blown-out.

edit: FYI: 50mm, f2.0. ISO100

Hi, the first one I really like, the second one not so much, the hand just melds into the body IMHO.

Otherwise nice high key shots...

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
The subjects are nice and sharp and contrasty. The backgrounds are very artificial-looking though- unless there's something very pleasing visually about the background you really want a more natural looking background for nature subjects, even if they are shot in a controlled and artificial environment.

Paul

Thanks compuwar, it's not on a controlled environment, it just happened, right outside my porch. It's just trying to shot a macro, not even using a macro lens ( don't have it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.