Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ooze

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2019
Howdy y'all. Long time no see. in 2022 I received a pcie Powermac G5 dual core 2.0 (not dual cpu) because a friend of mine was emptying out some old stuff of his mother's and because he knew I was a macmodding guy he gave it to me. I installed linux on it, played around, compiled a bunch of software- had loads of fun computing time with it, but eventually I hit a wall with my experience that could only be solved by adding more power- so for the last 2 years I've been assembling the parts to get it a heavy upgrade. I found a Motherboard from a 2.5 G5 Quad that came out of an old studio unit who's power supply gave out one day in Ireland (they had already sold the cpu assy and cooler to someone else), and a power supply almost a year later that was in great condition and looked to never have even been installed in a machine. I bought an identical 2.0 G5 cpu out of another Powermac g5 pcie model just like mine out of Korea, even checked the exact make on the cpu itself.

Now I've torn down the machine, replaced the older 700- watt power supply with a 1k power supply meant for the quads, replaced the motherboard (which is identical except for the extra cpu slot soldered into place), installed a ram upgrade, and hooked everything back up- all upgrades except for the second CPU I bought. The truth of the matter is, I don't have a liquid cooler from a quad, and I've been unable to find one in two years of looking. The machine runs fabulously and the current upgrades are wonderful- but that empty CPU slot calls to me like a mermaid in the lake.

So, let me propose a question to you all- with some info in mind.

here is the extra info: I build modern machines all the time, and I have been building PCs since around 2009. Specifically I did everyone's classic route, build powerful machines with spec'd out gpus and cpus- overclock them to the bare nuts and see how hard we can run em. About 6-7 years ago I got sick of it entirely and decided, why not make some builds that did the opposite- effective clockspeeds, undervolted cpus, modded bios for GPUs to get them to run WAY colder than spec, hyper quiet, hyper power efficient builds- and it's been fantastic, I even briefly contributed to getting more modern MXM gpus to run in iMacs they were never made to run in by modding them to get them to run well with many magnitudes less power- one thing I've always continued doing though, even for many of my quiet, power efficient builds is making custom liquid cooling loops- I have done a butt load of liquid cooled machines. I do great work and I'm very confident in my skills- and I'm looking at this as my way to make what is probably the most power efficient and ice-cold G5 Quad ever built.

Here is the question- Do I wait till I can find a G5 Quad liquid cooler to retrofit- give a new radiator/tubing/reservoir/pump or whatever it'll need? or do I just build a custom solution myself, waterblock included and finally finish my project? What is- I think, the worlds first and only PowerMac G5 Quad 2.0. They only ever made the model in 2.5, and maybe 2.3???

To wait or not to wait.

And to anyone out there who might want the 700W power supply or the Mobo I'm no longer using, let me know so they can get some use from someone.

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
I'd prefer to have my quad all air cooled, and would love if I could buy a ready-to-install part that would just work. Then I'd have a quad liquid cooler to sell to you.

Needleroozer

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
Howdy y'all. Long time no see. in 2022 I received a pcie Powermac G5 dual core 2.0 (not dual cpu) because a friend of mine was emptying out some old stuff of his mother's and because he knew I was a macmodding guy he gave it to me. I installed linux on it, played around, compiled a bunch of software- had loads of fun computing time with it, but eventually I hit a wall with my experience that could only be solved by adding more power- so for the last 2 years I've been assembling the parts to get it a heavy upgrade. I found a Motherboard from a 2.5 G5 Quad that came out of an old studio unit who's power supply gave out one day in Ireland (they had already sold the cpu assy and cooler to someone else), and a power supply almost a year later that was in great condition and looked to never have even been installed in a machine. I bought an identical 2.0 G5 cpu out of another Powermac g5 pcie model just like mine out of Korea, even checked the exact make on the cpu itself.

Now I've torn down the machine, replaced the older 700- watt power supply with a 1k power supply meant for the quads, replaced the motherboard (which is identical except for the extra cpu slot soldered into place), installed a ram upgrade, and hooked everything back up- all upgrades except for the second CPU I bought. The truth of the matter is, I don't have a liquid cooler from a quad, and I've been unable to find one in two years of looking. The machine runs fabulously and the current upgrades are wonderful- but that empty CPU slot calls to me like a mermaid in the lake.

So, let me propose a question to you all- with some info in mind.

here is the extra info: I build modern machines all the time, and I have been building PCs since around 2009. Specifically I did everyone's classic route, build powerful machines with spec'd out gpus and cpus- overclock them to the bare nuts and see how hard we can run em. About 6-7 years ago I got sick of it entirely and decided, why not make some builds that did the opposite- effective clockspeeds, undervolted cpus, modded bios for GPUs to get them to run WAY colder than spec, hyper quiet, hyper power efficient builds- and it's been fantastic, I even briefly contributed to getting more modern MXM gpus to run in iMacs they were never made to run in by modding them to get them to run well with many magnitudes less power- one thing I've always continued doing though, even for many of my quiet, power efficient builds is making custom liquid cooling loops- I have done a butt load of liquid cooled machines. I do great work and I'm very confident in my skills- and I'm looking at this as my way to make what is probably the most power efficient and ice-cold G5 Quad ever built.

Here is the question- Do I wait till I can find a G5 Quad liquid cooler to retrofit- give a new radiator/tubing/reservoir/pump or whatever it'll need? or do I just build a custom solution myself, waterblock included and finally finish my project? What is- I think, the worlds first and only PowerMac G5 Quad 2.0. They only ever made the model in 2.5, and maybe 2.3???

To wait or not to wait.

And to anyone out there who might want the 700W power supply or the Mobo I'm no longer using, let me know so they can get some use from someone.

If you’re not committed to the idea of watercooling and have the tooling or willpower to do so, you might consider trimming down the air-cooling heatsinks from normal G5s to fit on your quad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.