Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Wow, these are looking pretty incredible. Like many others here I did think that the Hi3 ISO setting was going to look pretty horrific and was a simple exercise in marketing. Whilst you (obviously) wouldn't wish to use this setting unless you really had too I'm still very impressed with what has been achieved.

The ISO 6400 shots look about as grainy as ISO 1000 on my D200!!!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Wow, these are looking pretty incredible. Like many others here I did think that the Hi3 ISO setting was going to look pretty horrific and was a simple exercise in marketing. Whilst you (obviously) wouldn't wish to use this setting unless you really had too I'm still very impressed with what has been achieved.

Really remarkable high ISO. Very impressive!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

I was skeptical at the Nikon-supplied high ISO shots on their website, but these shots are truly impressive! :)

I'd bet that Hi3 ISO would look pretty sweet rendered in gray scale (i.e. black and white).

My only quesetion is, why do some of these shots have strange ISO numbers? 10159? 8063? Is that a Nikon thing?

sarcasticdesign

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
I was skeptical at the Nikon-supplied high ISO shots on their website, but these shots are truly impressive! :)

I'd bet that Hi3 ISO would look pretty sweet rendered in gray scale (i.e. black and white).

My only quesetion is, why do some of these shots have strange ISO numbers? 10159? 8063? Is that a Nikon thing?

Nikon has an auto ISO feature where it automatically compensates the ISO in relation to what the meter reads combined with your aperture and shutter speed.

Sometimes when you shoot like this, it gives you oddball ISOs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.