Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
That D40 sounds kinda crap. I don't know why you'd buy a D40 over a Pentax K100D if you were looking for an inexpensive, small, lightweight camera to replace your p&s. They're around the same price, but 11-AF points are nice, as is shake reduction (or is it only 9 points? I forget). :confused: I don't mind the camera so much as the Graphical UI. I can see why it's good for people who want a p&s, but also want good quality photos. This is essentially what that is, but with ability to switch lenses (with only like 1/3rd of Nikon's lens lineup available to you).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0611/06111603nikond40handsonpreview.asp

And that new SB-400 speedlight: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0611/06111602nikonsb400speedlight.asp

Well....it IS small. :eek:

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I am not impressed with the size. The E-400 weighs 100 grams less with batteries (about 20% reduction).

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
For what it's worth (and speaking as a D70 owner), I think the D40 looks pretty good for an entry level Nikon. Lots of good points: smaller, lighter, ISO3200, larger viewfinder, bigger LCD, new mini flash.

The only obvious downside to me is lack of two command dials (which the D50 didn't have anyway, making me plump for an EOL D70 kit), and the internal focus motor. But then I still use my AFS 18-70mm kit lens for >95% of my shots. And I'm very happy with them.

I'm sure prospective D40 owners will be just as happy with the 18-55, and will probably never upgrade. Or if they do, they'll get an 18-200mm VR (expect availability of this lens to drop even further with the D40 out).

What I do hope it mean is that AFS/DX 12mm, 16mm, 24mm, 32mm lenses are on their way. Hopefully with max apertures in the 1.4-2.8 range.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I think for a lot of users the larger viewfinder and LCD and smaller size and lighter weight are more important that things like being able to use Nikon's whole line of lenses or being able to adjust in 1/2 steps instead of 1/3 steps.

Also, given that you can set the background wallpaper on the LCD display in status mode, it's pretty clear who the target audience is.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Doesn't matter. A D50 exists and it's more camera than the D40 is

Back that up with facts.
I can think of several areas where the D40 is superior:
1) ISO up to 3200
2) Real AUTO ISO (just like the D80)
3) Bigger viewfinder
4) 2.5" LCD
5) SDHC compliant
6) Programable func. button
7) In-camera retouching
8) b&w mode (makes it very attractive for a IR mod)

Now, how important are these for YOU is really subjective, some people would rather have a large LCD than the ability to use non AFS lenses.

They are aiming at different markets, the D50 will not be discontinued.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Back that up with facts.
1) ISO up to 3200
3) Bigger viewfinder
4) 2.5" LCD
5) SDHC compliant
7) In-camera retouching

Now, how important are these for YOU is really subjective, some people would rather have a large LCD than the ability to use non AFS lenses.

I agree with all of your post except the last half of the last sentence. The D50 is going to have something happen to it.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Yes, there is obviously a D50s/D55/D60 on the horizon. The D70s will probably be discontinued at the same time, leaving:

D40
D60
D80
D200
D2h/x

If the D50 becomes a 50s, the sensor may not change, but the viewfinder, ISO range, and LCD probably will.

If the D50 becomes a D60, it is more likely to get the D80 sensor too. Essentially becoming a D50 with a D80 sensor.

Until more AFS lenses are out with good availability, I doubt any other body is going to get rid of the focus motor any time soon.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I hope they go the route of making something more "pro" like the D70s the camera between the D40 and D80 and drop the D50, rather than giving two "consumer" oriented cameras below the D80. The D80 is a lot of bucks for most folk.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Back that up with facts.
1) ISO up to 3200
3) Bigger viewfinder
4) 2.5" LCD
5) SDHC compliant
7) In-camera retouching

Some of these specs don't mean much. Just the controls needed to change the settings indicate this. I'll change my statement and say that a D50 is more camera for photographers. ;) I guess this camera isn't aimed at the same market.

The only things I really like about the D40 is the sliiiiightly larger viewfinder, SDHC compliance, and ISO 3200, although none of them are deal breakers. The larger viewfinder would really be nice, though. :)

I wonder how much money Nikon saved by developing a new Multicam 3 point AF system for this camera when they could have just used the 5-point AF from the D50? :confused: They must have saved something to go through that much trouble to give you less AF points.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
It seems the D40 has the best image quality of the 6mp cameras, but it has the same exposure issue as the D50 and D80.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Some of these specs don't mean much. Just the controls needed to change the settings indicate this. I'll change my statement and say that a D50 is more camera for photographers. ;) I guess this camera isn't aimed at the same market.

Exactly. The changes don't mean much to you.

For example, the D40 is now the bestest deal for an infrared camera out there.... but who cares? it's a question of different strokes for diff folks :p

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
How is the D40 the best deal for IR when it's more expensive than the D50 and you also cannot buy the body alone?
And in the US, how is the K110D for IR, which is even cheaper?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Chasseur d'Images says that they had to modify pages already written to accomodate the D40 test. I guess the D40 also preempted the cover. The tests of the Olympus E-400 and the Leica M8 are not even mentioned there. Isn't this too much?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
How is the D40 the best deal for IR when it's more expensive than the D50 and you also cannot buy the body alone?
And in the US, how is the K110D for IR, which is even cheaper?

Exactly. If the D40 was significantly less expensive, then great. People have a $400 D40 option, and a D50 that's only $100-200 more expensive (I'm not from the US, but I think that sounds right). Since the D40 is released 2 years later, has several minor upgrades and tweaks (an ISO 3200 mode that might be useful if desperate) while keeping the same or similar sensor, and is a downgrade to the D50 in many other respects while being priced similarly, I don't see how it's a better deal, even for a beginner. Leave the D50 in AUTO mode.

And again.....despite missing a few things and still not being the smallest or lightest as a result, how is this a better IR or beginner "mom and dad" DSLR when something like a K100D is better and smaller for the same price? I know the D40 is aimed at a different market, but it's the same price, and I think with electronics, you'd rather get too much in return rather than a camera from a company that's telling you that you only need this much and no more.

Why money was spent on developing this new MultiCam AF system instead of using the one already used in the D50, I'll never know. It just seems easier to use what Nikon already made and designed.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yesterday I went out shooting with a couple of fellow photographers. One of them mentioned that one of our local photo shops was having a big sale and so after we'd finished the shoot we drove out to that store for a look. There were several reps there with Nikons, Canons, Leicas and Tamrons.... I was standing at the Nikon area (naturally!) wistfully handling a D2Xs when the man standing next to me said, "oh, there's the new D40." Thinking that either I'd misheard or he was incorrect, I glanced at the table of cameras again and sure enough, there it was! Cute little bugger! I put down the hefty D2Xs and picked up this tiny thing with its tiny new 18-55mm lens and experimentally fired off a shot. I was startled when the LCD screen informed me that "the subject is too dark." Huh?! I laughed and took another shot, this time deliberately making a typical beginner's mistake just to see what happened. No message this time but the image was blurred. I had put it into Aperture priority mode so that may be why no nudging messages....I expect that's only in "Auto" or "Program" modes.

The layout is a bit different on this camera from its bigger brothers and also the menu system as well. The camera is indeed lightweight and small -- not small enough to fit into a pocket, probably, but certainly it would be an easy item to toss into a bag or purse. I think that with the limitations set on it, the greatest appeal will be to those who want to move up to a DSLR from a P&S and to those who want a small DSLR in the Nikon line that they can use with their existing AF-S lenses. I wouldn't want to put a large, heavy lens on this thing, though! My hunch is that the prospective buyer/user will be perfectly happy to slip an 18-135mm or 18-200mm VR on it and never bother with changing lenses....

The camera won't be available in stores until December; this was a demo model that the Nikon rep had brought along to show off....

I also got my hot little hands on a Leica M-8. Mmmmmmmmm......drooool!!!! Ooh, that is a gorgeous camera, wonderfully engineered! Someone else was handling the other Leicas so I didn't get to play with any of them, but it was great to at least touch and hold an M-8 for a few minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.