Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paddrino

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Louisville, KY
My friend let me borrow her fixed 50mm and I could not master it for the life of me. The viewfinder would look crystal clear but on-screen there's still a little blur.

More than likely it was the low aperture that may have caused the blur. Since the D40 doesn't auto focus (unless you have the af-s model) then the 100 dollar 50mm is manual focus. If you are shooting in low light with a very low f-number then your depth of field is very small. If you are off just a little with the focus (especially when your subject is close) you will get blurred subjects. Sometimes it's hard to nail the right focus point by hand without a ton of practice. I guarantee you that if you go with the d80, the 50mm f1.8 (or if you can afford the 1.4) is probably the best lens in this price range (typically around 100 bucks or less).

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
If the D90 is THAT much worth it, I can wait. I would like to take portrait, landscape, and wide-angel photo's, and hopefully put them up for a portfolio. I also wanted to get the hang of the features on it, so hopefully when I get out of college in 2 years (if everything goes right), I will already be on my way to start making money on the side.

The thing is, I can sell the D40 body, along with some other stuff to hit $500 (which is what the guy is offering for his D80 body), but as I mentioned, $1000 is going to take a hell longer, cause for my summer job I'm using that hopefully for a Pro (saying I get it), and I don't know how much leftover I will have. I've been through having to scrap up money to buy expensive things I need, but more-so, doing it for this may not be worth draining the rest of my savings.

When I do take photos, there are time's where I wish I made more room, cause I like making giant photography. Hopefully, ones that can be printed out and hung up on the wall. I figure though, the same thing can be achieved by the D40.

As the NEED vs. WANT. I know when I want and I know when I need, I stay as far away from asking my parents, unless I need it, which the D80/90 I really do not at the moment to be honest. As I said, if the D90 is worth it, I can wait however long (let it even be out of school), to achieve that. I like to get things that are worth it and will last awhile.

Thanks for the input.
If you are shooting in low light with a very low f-number then your depth of field is very small. If you are off just a little with the focus (especially when your subject is close) you will get blurred subjects.
Thats probably it. My friend went to a shop that lets you rent lens, maybe I should try it out first (anything thats fixed).

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Check out the D5000. It's supposed to be out any day and replace the D40. Nikon Rumors has info on it.

Specs so far:
  • 2.7″ vari-angle screen
  • D-Movie
  • Image edition capability
  • 19 scene modes
  • Quiet shooting mode
  • Target following AF
  • AF 11 points
  • Airflow control system, Image sensor cleaning system
  • Supports high sensitivity ISO 3200

D5000_18_55_SLup_fr34l_l.jpg

D5000_LCD_2_l.jpg

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Why waste money on a Video SLR if I'm never going to use the video mode? I have a digital camera for that, so I can guarantee thats going to be way out of even being halfway close to my price range. Even the D90 is currently.

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
As the NEED vs. WANT. I know when I want and I know when I need, I stay as far away from asking my parents, unless I need it, which the D80/90 I really do not at the moment to be honest. As I said, if the D90 is worth it, I can wait however long (let it even be out of school), to achieve that. I like to get things that are worth it and will last awhile.

Here's one more option:

I am in a similar situation (have a D60--looking forward to upgrading), but my plan is to keep the D60 body. Then I can have two separate lenses ready to shoot in some circumstances, or use the older camera when I want to shoot in less than ideal conditions (like a recent day at the shore when a strong wind was blowing lots and lots of sand. I ended up quitting shooting before I wanted to, because I was just too worried about all that sand ... !) :eek:

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I suppose I should look into new wide-angel lenses. Perhaps, maybe some side gigs could aid in the quest for a D90. Just a college kid with dreams.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Why waste money on a Video SLR if I'm never going to use the video mode? I have a digital camera for that, so I can guarantee thats going to be way out of even being halfway close to my price range. Even the D90 is currently.

I wouldn't dismiss the D5000 so quickly. It has been announced now, and the list price for the body only is $730.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Yes, and that's the list price. If you wait a while, the street price will kick in at something even lower. This new camera has the same sensor as the D90, by the way.

And there's no release date? It's just suppose to pop-up anytime? That mean's I have to find somethings to sell. I have an SB-600 with my D40 but I think I'll need that. Or I'll just wait until I have enough.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
And there's no release date? It's just suppose to pop-up anytime? That mean's I have to find somethings to sell. I have an SB-600 with my D40 but I think I'll need that. Or I'll just wait until I have enough.

I read on Nikon Rumors that it is supposed to come out early May.

So thats a better choice than the D5000?

I would say no given that the D5000 has a new sensor and is a newer camera in general. It does lack a second LCD though. Someone who has a D200 could tell you more.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I would like a second LCD, as I mentioned, so I wouldn't have to keep pressing the Info button see the readings.
Here's your answer (put it in the cart):
If only I could.

Paddrino

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Louisville, KY
Keep in mind that the new 5000 does NOT have the auto focus motor. The only advantages it has is a better ISO performance than the d40 and d80, video mode (Although it is only 720p and not 1080p), swivel screen (not exactly a very useful feature), live view, and a few more pixels.

This camera really sits in between the 40 and the 90 as far as features go, and is really just a replacement of the d60.

If you really want to get into photography, I'm sticken with my original recommendation. D90 if you can wait (yes it is worth it). D80 if you absolutely can't wait or really NEED a new body NOW.

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
Well I like the D40 so much I've now bought two, with a different lens on each. So, what do you think of that?

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Well I like the D40 so much I've now bought two, with a different lens on each. So, what do you think of that?
If you want me to be honest I could really careless. I'm asking for help and advice, not what you do with your spare money. But congrats on my behalf.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Here's the thing, maybe this will help:

I understand that the D90 is worth it over the D80, but in terms of money, $900, even $800 is going to be a while before I have THAT much spare.

The reason I said the D80 is cause I could sell the D40 body (hopefully around $400? It was $512 for the whole kit), get some extra cash, and get the D80 body. Learn the controls, so that way when comes time, I can sell the D80 (for however much it may be worth), and pay the difference for a D90 (or perhaps the body), and be on my way to knowing what I'm doing.

Is that a good deal? The guy emailed me back and now is asking $500 for a D80 body.

Lord of Sound

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
Personally I've never had d40 or d80, but I had a chance to use them both.
Major differences have already been pointed out in this tread above.
I've been using higher range, d100-d200-d300 and every time Nikon upgrades you can see that the change in electronics affects ISO, focus speed and shooting speed.
The rest is the combination of optics that you have available and your abilities as photographer.
To update or not, first question would be if you have money. If you do than I would advice going for d90. If you don't maybe you can consider saving up a little bit. d300 bodies are twice cheaper how than what I payed when it just came out.
In addition I would say that lenses are just as important as the body if not more, don't forget to consider switching from kit lenses, which costs at least another grand:(((

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
You missed the point on the D200 someone posted. When you add it to cart you can see the real price, which seems to be $599 and therefore extremely cheap. The image quality will be better on a D5000, the D200 being more on a par with the D80, but that is not the whole story. The D200 has a much more solid body and control system, for a start.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Yeah, my friend who does professional photoshooting has a D200, I'll have to look into that. So is it the online price only?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.