Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I am trying to decide between the Nikon D60 or the Canon Rebel XSi for my first digital slr. I have always owned nikon P-n-S cameras and have been somewhat pleased but not overly impressed to build a strict brand loyalty.

What are your feelings about the two cameras and is the Digic III that much better than the CCD sensor. What do you feel the advantages are of one over another? The camera will be used by both my fiance and myself. She likes the XSi and I am undecided. The Canon felt great in my hands but is it worth the extra money? The Nikon menu seemed superior to the Canon's though.

I plan to buy the camera from BestBuy because I have a few hundred dollars in Gift Cards to use. I was thinking about buying the camera with two lenses because they are discounted. The Nikon D60 is $750 with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. The Canon is $930 with the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses.

Extra $50 gift card with purchase deal ends tomorrow.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well I haven't own my own DSLR yet but like you, I was trying to decide its either 1000D (Rebel XS) or D60.

I'm choosing the 1000D because:
1. My dad owns a Canon 100mm USM Macro lens.
2. Canon seems more value for money (features to price)
3. Canon take the best photo quality at the higher ISO, although its maxes out
at ISO1600 (D60 - ISO3200 but the photo quality is bad so I don't think I
will miss the higher ISO, im very picky with noise)
4. Canon XS and XSi shares the same battery grip which is very useful, if Im
not mistaken, there is no battery grip accessory for the D60.

Both are good cameras, the only reason I can think why you prefer the D60 menu over the XSi is because you used Nikon before so you will have a better idea of how things work. I do like the fact that Nikon beginner DSLRs has a info help system (tells you what this feature does and etc.), really useful for beginners.

Oh yea just to correct you, Canon Digic III (CMOS - sensor), Nikon Expeed (found in the D60 is CCD - sensor)

Hope this helps you :)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The choice of camera really just boils down to matter of taste: I wouldn't get bogged down on things like noise charts. Taken from the dpreview of the D60:
dpreview of the D60 said:
As the graphs show there's not a huge difference between the D60 and its predecessor at lower ISO settings, but you can see the slight difference in the way the Expeed processing deals with noise as you move up the range. In truth you can't see these differences in real world images.
Likewise, megapixels don't matter either.

What does matter is that you like how the camera works: I suggest, you try out both cameras and take the one that feels better in your hands. This is more important than anything else: if you don't like the feel of your camera, you will probably take worse pictures with it. It probably won't hurt to try other brands as well (Olympus, Pentax, Sony) even if it is just to compare them to Nikon and Canon.

@wheelnot
There are third-party battery grips for the D60, but I don't think this is particularly relevant for the OP at this point.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
My preference has always been Nikon or Canon. My fiance's parents own a canon dslr and her grandparent own the d-80 with 3 different lenses. So no matter which brand we go with I will have a fair choice of lenses to borrow if needed.

Right now I am leaning towards the Canon.

Is it worth it to buy the second 55-250 IS lense for the extra $200. We are going on a cruise in a month and a half and I fear I may miss a shot with the 18-55mm due to lack of distance.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
My preference has always been Nikon or Canon.
I understood that much from your post, hence I did not recommend any other specific cameras from other manufacturers. It's good to know that you can borrow lenses no matter if you go Canon or Nikon.

Try out both cameras and see what you prefer.
No matter which camera you get: don't save money on the bag, a good, padded bag with room to spare is an essential.
Also, at least Nikon has a small and very useful flash, the SB-400. It runs about $100 and it is much better than any built-in flash. It literally fits in your pocket, but is definitely strong enough for typical indoor portrait situations. Although I don't think Canon makes a flash of similar size, it makes a flash of similar price (you cannot bounce it, though).

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
There are third-party battery grips for the D60, but I don't think this is particularly relevant for the OP at this point.
aah, okay, didn't know that. Is 3rd party battery grip cheaper then the manufacturer battery grip? Just wondering.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I plan to buy the camera from BestBuy because I have a few hundred dollars in Gift Cards to use. I was thinking about buying the camera with two lenses because they are discounted. The Nikon D60 is $750 with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. The Canon is $930 with the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses.

Skp the second lens and use the money for something more usfull.

How to decide between brands? Don't look at the bodies. Those are not important. What matters is that you will be tied to the brand for many years. You will buy a lens and then a flash and then you will need to upgrade/replace the body and you will need to get the same brand. So think ahead 5 or more years. Some day you will want a higher end lens look at those figure out what you might want and who has the best options down the road.

Why not get the D40? I think it's a better deal and that leaves you more money for a better lens later.

Buy the 18-55 "kit" lens and the shoot 1,000+ frames and maybe in batches of 100 edit each batch thhen go shoot another subject. Only AFTER 1000 oe 2000 frames, only then buy a second lens. I'll bet you will not buy that cheap f/5.6 200mm zoom.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Is it worth it to buy the second 55-250 IS lense for the extra $200. We are going on a cruise in a month and a half and I fear I may miss a shot with the 18-55mm due to lack of distance.

But how many other shots do you miss because you 18-55 lens only opens up to f/5.6 Maybe what you need is a f/1.4 prime? How do you know with you would need more a faster r a longer lens?

What subject might you want to shoot with the telephoto? Can't you just walk up closer?

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
yeah just get the Canon nikon sucks....lol I am just kidding, seriously it all comes down to feel IMO just go to a shop and hold both of them, which one feels bette rin your hands, easier access to all the buttons while you are looking thru the view finder,,, i was gogint o gte a d40, i was so sure of it, then i went to the store and held them both, and the Canon jut felt a lot better in my hands.,..sooooooooo i got the canon

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
yeah just get the Canon nikon sucks....lol I am just kidding, seriously it all comes down to feel IMO just go to a shop and hold both of them, which one feels bette rin your hands, easier access to all the buttons while you are looking thru the view finder,,, i was gogint o gte a d40, i was so sure of it, then i went to the store and held them both, and the Canon jut felt a lot better in my hands.,..sooooooooo i got the canon
Haha, that is funny, thank goodness you didn't end at the Canon, Nikon sucks, if not this thread will end up with people flaming each other. LOL

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006

The "hold it in your hand" thing was good advice back when people bough an SLR body once every 15 years. but today SLR bodies are like computers, no one will want to use one that long. 3 to 5 years is about it. After that you will see that the new Bodies are so much better and so much cheaper. Cameras used to be more like fine watches than like consumer electronics. You might keep a fine watch many years but I'd bet most Sony Walkman disc players are in landfills by now. SLR bodies are different beasts then they were.

It is still a good idea to handle the cameras first but handle all camera in the brand's lineup, even the high end ones you can't afford. Choose a brand not a body.

But when you decide to buy a Nikon that means the replacement body you buy will have to be a Nikon (Same for Canon) So if you hold the D40 and like it and buy it you have also decided in advance to buy the (I'm making up some names) the D45 and D64 and D91. These camera have not even been designed yet but by buying the Nikon today you've pretty much committed to buying them too. What you want to do is look to see which company wil make what you want in the future. So look over the ENTIRE line and see which LINE you like. Hold each of them if you like. Then buy the brand you like best. Choose the model to suit your budget. Just remember you are buying a brand more then you are buying a camera body.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
But when you decide to buy a Nikon that means the replacement body you buy will have to be a Nikon (Same for Canon) So if you hold the D40 and like it and buy it you have also decided in advance to buy the (I'm making up some names) the D45 and D64 and D91. These camera have not even been designed yet but by buying the Nikon today you've pretty much committed to buying them too. What you want to do is look to see which company wil make what you want in the future. So look over the ENTIRE line and see which LINE you like. Hold each of them if you like. Then buy the brand you like best. Choose the model to suit your budget. Just remember you are buying a brand more then you are buying a camera body.
Yup, unless you buy a D40 and never bought any other lens beside the given kit lens, then you are not bounded to any company, but that defeats the purpose of owning a DSLR though :eek:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I don't think anybody in this thread has yet mentioned that the Nikon D60 has no internal focusing motor, so many of the shorter length prime lenses currently available from Nikon will not autofocus on that camera. You can still use them, but you'll have to focus manually.

Canon has updated its lens lineup so that this problem does not apply to any of its cameras.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Haha, guess we get so hooked up with the Nikon-Canon conversation that we forgot to mention it :eek:

*smack on the head*

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
i did not know that (the internal motor missing) i figured the D60 replaced the D40x no? didn't the D40x have an internal, if thats the case? wouldn't you want to take a look at the D40x as well?

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
I love Canon, have always owned Canon (4 P&S, 1 SLR, 1 dSLR), and will always own Canon.

I own the XSi and I wouldn't own anything else. :)

Sorry for my biased opinion. ;)

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Just wanted to let you guys know I picked up the Canon XSi kit along with the 55-250mm lens.

Funny thing is that I saw how Circuit City dropped their price on the D80 to $750 and it made me think once again whether or not I made the right decision. I don't plan on opening it until Thanksgiving so I still have a few weeks to decide once again.

All I hear is why buy the D60 when you can buy the D80 for near the same price. In my case the D80 costs $20 more than the XSi without the second lense.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Just wanted to let you guys know I picked up the Canon XSi kit along with the 55-250mm lens.

Funny thing is that I saw how Circuit City dropped their price on the D80 to $750 and it made me think once again whether or not I made the right decision. I don't plan on opening it until Thanksgiving so I still have a few weeks to decide once again.

All I hear is why buy the D60 when you can buy the D80 for near the same price. In my case the D80 costs $20 more than the XSi without the second lense.

Open it and enjoy it! Why wait? The D80 is a great camera, but a bit older technology, and it lacks Live View (which is very helpful for tripod work, manual focusing, and for awkward vantage points).

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Open it and enjoy it! Why wait? The D80 is a great camera, but a bit older technology, and it lacks Live View (which is very helpful for tripod work, manual focusing, and for awkward vantage points).

Yes, actually I thought the same thing after posting my previous message before. After reviewing the specs I don't feel I would be getting anything advantageous. It was a superior camera at its time but still old technology.

WHY WAIT TO OPEN IT.
I am not real familiar with pricing on DSLRs so my question would be does any expect to see great deals on black friday the day after Thanksgiving. This would be my reason for waiting. Do retailers ever heavily discount or package DSLRs that day from past experience or would you say my price of $930 for both the camera with the 18-55 and 55-250 lens is a good price.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
WHY WAIT TO OPEN IT.
I am not real familiar with pricing on DSLRs so my question would be does any expect to see great deals on black friday the day after Thanksgiving. This would be my reason for waiting. Do retailers ever heavily discount or package DSLRs that day from past experience or would you say my price of $930 for both the camera with the 18-55 and 55-250 lens is a good price.

Well I can't give any comments about that, but if its me, I would open it up and use it straight away, keeping it there just tempts me more and the earlier you open it the more time you have to learn to use your new camera and hopefully by that time you will be able to take some good shots especially when its thanksgiving :D

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Did you also thought about 35mm film?

As I shoot SLRs only for a little time of around 1 year, I am more and more looking after a descent 35mm film body.

As for a price of roughly 200 - 500 USD, one can get one of the most advanced professional 35mm bodies, that where made before digital hit the market.

Today the processing of the film to digital (files on DVD) is also done quite comfortably by the labs (in your city or online).

The only gotcha is, you should know already a little about shooting, because there is no instant checking per LCD.

I think about getting a Nikon F3, F5 or F100 body, to complement my digital body for wide angle shooting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.