Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
As I shoot SLRs only for a little time of around 1 year, I am more and more looking after a descent 35mm film body.

As for a price of roughly 200 - 500 USD, one can get one of the most advanced professional 35mm bodies, that where made before digital hit the market.

Today the processing of the film to digital (files on DVD) is also done quite comfortably by the labs (in your city or online).

The only gotcha is, you should know already a little about shooting, because there is no instant checking per LCD.

I think about getting a Nikon F3, F5 or F100 body, to complement my digital body for wide angle shooting.

Was this supposed to be posted in response to my question about holiday deals? Appears to be by accident. It's okay though.

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Congrats on purchasing your 1st DSLR. I shoot Nikon, my business partner shoots Canon. In the studio I only shoot Canon & shoot just fine. I'm really not emotionally attached to the hardware, it's all about the pleasure of shooting. My brother has a Canon XSi & he's very happy with it (he's taken a lot of great family candids with it so far). My Pop has an Olympus E-500, which I swing by & borrow for my 'Adventure Sundays' (wakeboarding, 4 wheelin', spearfishing trips to the keys, etc.). I have GB's of priceless memories I've taken with that camera. I guess what I'm getting at is the fact (or opinion) that it's not the name on the camera that matters, as much as what you do with it.

Although you have the range of '27' to '375' covered, down the road you might consider investing in the 24 -70 2.8, which is effectively 36 - 105. It's a great 'workhorse' lens, ideal when you can only lug one with you.

Anyway, when you do open up that badboy, enjoy shooting! :D

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Was this supposed to be posted in response to my question about holiday deals? Appears to be by accident. It's okay though.

Obviously missed the topic there - anyway, down the road you maybe play with the idea to get a second body for whatever reason - let it be a pro 35 mm film body. Canon did them too with the same superior quality as Nikon and the second hand prices of well taken care of amateur bodies are cheap.

Congrats of your new tool - you will have good fun with that (make sure, to handle the post processing and printing side of things as well).

Dont rush with buying new glass and accessories (you will know, what you really need, when running in your new camera for a few month, not when a good deal comes up or a sales guy tells you so ;))

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I posted it above but anyways...... the Canon XSi with the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Oo 55-250mm lens, sweet.

Yes, the lens worked well on our first random adventure photoshoot at the beach. We were able to catch some dolphins coming into the shore to feed. They swam in groups and we attempted to catch them mid-jump. We are still new to DSLR but it provided an exciting first experience.

I am definitely happy with the camera and additional lens. I also feel at $930 for the package it was a reasonable deal from BestBuy.

Side Question: Is it normal for the 55-250 lens to not want to AF and snap a shot if it feels you are too close to an object? Basically what was happening was my fiance was trying to take a picture of the top of a palm tree while standing underneath it but when the 55-250 lens was on it the body keep on beeping and the lens didn't want to find an focal point.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Wow, thats soo nice. You got a EF lens rite? so with the crop factor included, it means you got a lens with the length of 400mm? <---- that's awesome

Well I'm not sure why it can't autofocus, the only thing I can think of is maybe cause its too dark/poor lighting and such so the camera gets a hard time trying to autofocus?

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Good choice.... the XSi! I would have preferred though you get a 18-200mm...

As far as AF is concerned... its most probably the light! If something light this happens... you can manually choose an AF point from the 7 provided or flash a torchlight on the area where you want it to focus!

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Wow, thats soo nice. You got a EF lens rite? so with the crop factor included, it means you got a lens with the length of 400mm? <---- that's awesome

Well I'm not sure why it can't autofocus, the only thing I can think of is maybe cause its too dark/poor lighting and such so the camera gets a hard time trying to autofocus?

Yes it's the EF lens.

Apple Ink, why would you have said the 18-250. Just to eliminate the switching of lenses? I know that would have been an option if so but Since I was able to pick up the 55-250 lens for $200 bucks I though it was a decent deal. Also, I am not sure I would want to have such a large lens on the camera all of the time.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Well... the 18-200 is definitely better at image quality. The only place it lacks is the high aberration! Besides... at 200mm you dont usually find images this sharp!

Its just 600gm, 200gm more than the 55-250mm which also only has a min aperture at 55mm of 4!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.