Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Okay, so I might be a bit biased because I shoot with a D70s everyday, but I've noticed some things.

Yesterday I was shooting with a new D80... Aside from the new layout of the control buttons on back (that's something I can get use to), I found the D80 to be less a user friendly camera, and on auto mode, the colors a bit wacky in comparison to my D70s. Everything seemed a bit unnatural, and I just didn't like the shots I was getting, mainly due to the off-looking colors that were showing up in my images. I made sure all the settings were factory default too, so I know it wasn't something like that that was causing this. Anyone know what was going on here?

And SD Card?? I much rather the professional standard of CF, this seems like an odd step back....

Anyway, just observations. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my D70s, and won't mind skipping the D80 for a D200 when the time comes to upgrade. :)

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
And SD Card?? I much rather the professional standard of CF, this seems like an odd step back....

I was at my local camera shop the other day and I was asking about the D80, D200, etc. and why Nikon was using SD and CF. The guy, which is a Nikon rep also, said the official word from Nikon was this:

That the majority of professionals that have used film all of their careers are not used to this whole idea of digital cameras and storage. They are taking the CF cards and (from time to time and not all of them) putting them in backwards. Well with those few individual professionals they are then forcing the CF card in and bending the prongs to hades!

I couldn't stop laughing but it made sense. I agree though on the whole SD vs. CF just for the simple fact of that I've owned like 2 SD cards for an old Dell Axim I used to use. I lost both of them! The CF card I like because of the size, etc. but that's just me.

~Crawn

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I was at my local camera shop the other day and I was asking about the D80, D200, etc. and why Nikon was using SD and CF. The guy, which is a Nikon rep also, said the official word from Nikon was this:

That the majority of professionals that have used film all of their careers are not used to this whole idea of digital cameras and storage. They are taking the CF cards and (from time to time and not all of them) putting them in backwards. Well with those few individual professionals they are then forcing the CF card in and bending the prongs to hades!

I couldn't stop laughing but it made sense. I agree though on the whole SD vs. CF just for the simple fact of that I've owned like 2 SD cards for an old Dell Axim I used to use. I lost both of them! The CF card I like because of the size, etc. but that's just me.

~Crawn
Interesting little bit of insight! Comical too.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what's the difference between CF and SD... essentially, what's the big deal?

Also, does CF go up to 32GB like SDHD does?

(I had no idea SDHD capacities were that large!)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
CF is currently at 64GB and it's maximum theoretical capacity is 137GB since version 1.0

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I looked for awhile at cameras, before the D80 came out and was debating between the Rebel XT and Nikon D70s. In the midst of my indecision, the two companies came out with the 10MP "prosumer" cameras. I haven't shot much with the D70s, but it seemed like a capable camera... although I'm quite satisfied with my D80. When I first bought it I shot mostly in JPEGs and found them to be fantastic right of the camera. Now I mainly shoot RAW, of course. The D80 is a fantastic camera... I hope most of us "Nikonians" are happy with our cameras.

Kinda wish I just would have gone for the D200 intially, but is in the works now... unless in the midst... they update it ;)

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I looked for awhile at cameras, before the D80 came out and was debating between the Rebel XT and Nikon D70s. In the midst of my indecision, the two companies came out with the 10MP "prosumer" cameras. I haven't shot much with the D70s, but it seemed like a capable camera... although I'm quite satisfied with my D80. When I first bought it I shot mostly in JPEGs and found them to be fantastic right of the camera. Now I mainly shoot RAW, of course. The D80 is a fantastic camera... I hope most of us "Nikonians" are happy with our cameras.

Kinda wish I just would have gone for the D200 intially, but is in the works now... unless in the midst... they update it ;)

I think most people get very comfortable with their cameras very quickly, and then wish they'd bought a better model. However, as my dad loves to tell me, there's always something better out there.

Socorso

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
D70 a great camera... what happened to the D50?

When researching cameras a couple of years ago, the
D70 was my goto. Due to budget constraints, I decided to purchase the then new D50. My research showed that this was supposedly a replacement fot the D70 as it had almost all of the features of the D70. Its a fantastic camera, much better than the rebels. But then it disappeared and the D40 came out. It seems like a totally different camera. Anyone have any experience with it.

Not sure if this thread is for 'pros' but just wondering...

As mentioned before, I love my camera, but wish I could afford the next one up...

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
When researching cameras a couple of years ago, the
D70 was my goto. Due to budget constraints, I decided to purchase the then new D50. My research showed that this was supposedly a replacement fot the D70 as it had almost all of the features of the D70. Its a fantastic camera, much better than the rebels. But then it disappeared and the D40 came out. It seems like a totally different camera. Anyone have any experience with it.

Not sure if this thread is for 'pros' but just wondering...

As mentioned before, I love my camera, but wish I could afford the next one up...

The D50 was below the D70. It was roughly D50 -> D70/s -> D100
Now it's D40/x -> D80 -> D200 etc.
The D40 is a replacement for the D50, but it's been quite controversial. Some people (like me) feel that despite the lack of AF motor it really is a true upgrade. Others feel that it's a "sidegrade" or even a downgrade. Either way, the D80 is the new D70/s.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core

I suspect the story is more that people who are coming to their first DSLR are coming from P&S cameras that use SD cards and therefore Nikon is targeting that audience with their consumer-level bodies. The D200 and the D2X/s are using CF cards and my guess is that when Nikon's next D--series body comes out it, too, will follow in the CF card footsteps rather than SD. Personally, I prefer CF cards to SD cards because they feel so much more substantial and less prone to damage or loss.....

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
I suspect the story is more that people who are coming to their first DSLR are coming from P&S cameras that use SD cards and therefore Nikon is targeting that audience with their consumer-level bodies. The D200 and the D2X/s are using CF cards and my guess is that when Nikon's next D--series body comes out it, too, will follow in the CF card footsteps rather than SD. Personally, I prefer CF cards to SD cards because they feel so much more substantial and less prone to damage or loss.....

True, like I've said elsewhere, I take anything anyone has to say as a grain of salt. It would make sense though and I could give kudos to Nikon for thinking ahead like that.

~Crawn

P.S. But it still made me laugh when the guy told me! :D

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It seems like the electronic storage market as a whole is moving away from Compact Flash and towards SD, Mini SD, and even Micro SD. Smaller storage means you can carry more of it around (okay, at the sizes we're talking about there's little practical difference; but people see the smaller form factor as being more advanced). I think that's likely all there is to it.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
It seems like the electronic storage market as a whole is moving away from Compact Flash and towards SD, Mini SD, and even Micro SD. Smaller storage means you can carry more of it around (okay, at the sizes we're talking about there's little practical difference; but people see the smaller form factor as being more advanced). I think that's likely all there is to it.

To be fair as well, SD seems a whole lot more durable than CF with their little pins. Additionally, memory being standardized throughout the industry is good. Us DSLR users are much more likely to have 2-4GB+ cards, whereas many P&S users can be happy with 512-1GB. With SD/HD as a standard memory cards could be easily swapped between cameras, no need to buy new memory for a new camera. I hated having Sony's proprietary Memory Stick in my Sony.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
With SD/HD as a standard memory cards could be easily swapped between cameras, no need to buy new memory for a new camera. I hated having Sony's proprietary Memory Stick in my Sony.

Eww, Memory Stick - I hated that in concept and in practice. :eek:

The other thing is, people could standardize on SD and, with an adapter (that I just recently learned about), even use SD in (most of) their Compact Flash devices. So if a pro has a D200 as a backup body, for instance, he/she wouldn't have to carry two kinds of memory - just a CF-SD adapter and a bunch of SD cards.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
While the capacity of CF might be overkill, I'll prefer it as long as SD is slower.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The CF is physically larger so they can cram more memory into it but as the memory get smaller this matters less. Already the smaller SD card holds more memory than most people can use in one shooting session.

Years ago a photographer might decide to buy a camera because he already had invested some money in one type of memory card. But today the cards are so cheap that it does not matter, just buy new cards. If I buy a new camera I'll just spend the extra $25 for a new card. Back when cards cost $400 people thought differently.

In the "old days" you needed the bulk of the CF card just to get a reasonable amount of memory. I still have a 64MB CF card that was "large" (and expensive) when it was new. Today a CF card is just a big slug of plastic with a little SD sized chip inside.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
The CF is physically larger so they can cram more memory into it but as the memory get smaller this matters less. Already the smaller SD card holds more memory than most people can use in one shooting session.

Years ago a photographer might decide to buy a camera because he already had invested some money in one type of memory card. But today the cards are so cheap that it does not matter, just buy new cards. If I buy a new camera I'll just spend the extra $25 for a new card. Back when cards cost $400 people thought differently.

In the "old days" you needed the bulk of the CF card just to get a reasonable amount of memory. I still have a 64MB CF card that was "large" (and expensive) when it was new. Today a CF card is just a big slug of plastic with a little SD sized chip inside.
While all this is valid, I have to agree with Clix Pix when she says that CF just feels more substantial, and less likely that it will get lost in my backseat among PowerBooks, projectors, lenses, and Wendy's bags.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
While all this is valid, I have to agree with Clix Pix when she says that CF just feels more substantial, and less likely that it will get lost in my backseat among PowerBooks, projectors, lenses, and Wendy's bags.

Mmmmm... Wendy's bags.

I've never used anything but Memory Stick (shudder) and SD/HC. Also, I've only owned 2 digital cameras and I only had one memory card per camera anyway (1 gig and 4 gigs respectively). I feel that if I had any more capacity than 4 gigs I'd fill my hard drives up way too fast.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Mmmmm... Wendy's bags.

I've never used anything but Memory Stick (shudder) and SD/HC. Also, I've only owned 2 digital cameras and I only had one memory card per camera anyway (1 gig and 4 gigs respectively). I feel that if I had any more capacity than 4 gigs I'd fill my hard drives up way too fast.

Yeah, in my Sony CyberShot, I have a 256 MB Memory Stick Pro, which when shooting at 3.2 MP, is fine. I don't use this camera much since it's limited in controls, and usually my mother uses this camera for her needs (I don't really trust her with the D70s). I also have a 32MB MS that came with that camera way back when I got it in 2002 or 2003...

I have a 1GB CF card for my Nikon, and an inherited 512 card (slow speed)... I need to pick up another 1GB CF card with my next paycheck!

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Yeah, in my Sony CyberShot, I have a 256 MB Memory Stick Pro, which when shooting at 3.2 MP, is fine. I don't use this camera much since it's limited in controls, and usually my mother uses this camera for her needs (I don't really trust her with the D70s). I also have a 32MB MS that came with that camera way back when I got it in 2002 or 2003...

I have a 1GB CF card for my Nikon, and an inherited 512 card (slow speed)... I need to pick up another 1GB CF card with my next paycheck!

How does the price of CF compare to SD/HC? When I bought my D40x I bought a 4 gig SDHC card for like... $80 CDN. That gives me ~400 10 megapixel RAW shots.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I don't remember exactly which review I read about this (been checking out the D80, D200, and D40x myself);) but it was saying that Nikon has adjusted its colors for "consumer appeal" on pro-sumer models, altering the greens, etc... for what the 'entry level consumer used to a p+s' is expecting.?

The review had recommended NOT using default settings, but a specific combination of saturation, noise reduction, and sharpness to achieve much crisper images than the factory setting offers on the low end dSLR Nikons.:eek:

I will do my best to find that web page again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.