Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Why is the D70s CF and the D80 SD? I don't understand this.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
macdaddy121 said:
I thought the 18-135 that they were using as the kit lens for the D80 was selling for $300. Am I wrong?

Don't know if you read my last post, but I said I had read that it's 300 quid in my last post. 300 British pounds. Maybe you misread the £ symbol as a $ symbol by accident. I don't know. Again, I had checked DCResource for the American price, but Steve's Digicams also reports $485 US dollars. I'm regurgitating info that's available at some of the main camera sites, although who knows......maybe they won't retail for $485.

Crystal?

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Abstract said:
Don't know if you read my last post, but I said I had read that it's 300 quid in my last post. 300 British pounds. Maybe you misread the £ symbol as a $ symbol by accident. I don't know. Again, I had checked DCResource for the American price, but Steve's Digicams also reports $485 US dollars. I'm regurgitating info that's available at some of the main camera sites, although who knows......maybe they won't retail for $485.

Crystal?

The D80 kit lens is the 18-135 right? And it is only 300 more right? Maybe that's how I thought it was only $300. Sorry.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
By the way found the 18-135 for $399 on WolfCamera.com

Just a heads up to anyone.

By the way....is anyone planning on buying this....it seems to be getting really good reviews. If it's anything close to the D200 it's going to be unreal.

bep207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
i would buy it if i didnt just buy a d50

anyone want to buy my d50?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
macdaddy121 said:
By the way....is anyone planning on buying this....it seems to be getting really good reviews. If it's anything close to the D200 it's going to be unreal.

I don't think there are anything other than previews right now, and no reviews on performance. Although it uses the same CCD sensor as the D200 and Sony Alpha-100, I doubt the photos coming out of it will be the same simply due to the processing differences.

bep207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
all of the big photo review web sites recieved pre production models for reviews

check out dpreview.com

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I played with a D80 earlier this week. I was surprised to see one in a shop as I expected them to be rare at this stage. Perhaps this time Nikon have ramped production early and learnt their lesson?

Anyway, naturally it felt really nice to handle. Shame it's still a plastic body (although the salesman tried to tell me it was "magnesium alloy", and "technology" er, OK :rolleyes: ), although it feels fairly dense - a bit more so than a D50.

I'm straining at the leash not to buy one, although I'm already down on a pre-order list. I have a feeling prices will tumble from the RRP quite quickly and availability won't be too bad. Perhaps a good reason to hold off for now... ;)

Seventy5

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
Dundee, Scotland
Multi Exposure, or Image Overlay?

beavo451 said:
No. It just stacks pictures one on top of another. So if you take two perfectly exposed pictures, you will end up with one over exposed photo with the contents of both photos. The only other Nikon that does this is the D2X. A throwback to a film technique for diehard anti-photoshop people.

Was the original comment about Multiple Exposure, or Image Overlay? Both are different. Multiple Exposure is as you would expect from film days, whereas Image Overlay allows you to take 2 raw images and mix them together setting the amount of dominance each has in the final image. The resulting image is then stored away as new image. The D200 has this function.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.