Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
Guys,
I have been reading a lot about D90 or 500D..Seems like each website just talks about the pros and cons depending upon their own mood and style. I would really appreciate if someone can help me here. This will be my first DSLR camera. I am looking to do some close ups, telephoto, and wide angle shots. In short, I want a long run camera with all purpose.

Please keep it to either these. I know a lot of people might tell me to go to either D80 or XSi. But I want to stay current with my equipment and do not want to worry about $100-$200. Just want to be more in versatility.

Thanks A lot.

clams

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
The first thing you should do is go to the store and see which one feels better in your hands. The next thing you should see is which company has the lens system that fits you. Take price into consideration. Do not overlook third party lenses. They are excellent alternatives.

Personally, I would have to just say just go with the 500D. It's cheaper and the mid range lenses are cheaper than the Nikon equivalents. The Nikon's have better ergonomics though. If you really want to invest in the Canon system, go 40D. It's better than 50D. Although I do understand your want to stay current, remember that the body is not as important as the glass. I know people who take ten times better pictures than me with D50s. Don't worry about the bodies. I think the review websites hype the differences up way too much. When I switched from XTi to 40D I only did for ergonomics. As you take pictures more, you'll realize it's not about the newest gadget in your camera but how comfortable it is in your hand and how fast you can reach the controls.

The difference between the D90 and D80, as well as the XSi and T1i are tiny. The video should not be a dealbreaker. dSLRs are for still pictures.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
They are fairly equal in regards to lens selection. I always say it depends on personal preference regarding how the body feels. That's how I would choose.

I went Canon as I grew up with Canon and preferred their bodies and lenses.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
first, the D90 is not in the same class as a 500D - it's an amateur-level camera, while the 500D is consumer...which presents a problem if you want video. as an amateur camera, the D90 has a better ergonomics than the 500D, so if you don't like the feel of consumer cameras, you either get the D90 or wait for the 60D.

in any case, go to a store and play with the cameras. compare the D90 to a 50D, or a D5000 with a 500D. that way you know which manufacturer's interface fits you better.

what about lenses, which company has better and cheaper lens?

both companies have a large selection of good, affordable lenses.

why not another manufacturer? Olympus? Pentax? is video that important to you?

clams

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
first, the D90 is not in the same class as a 500D - it's an amateur-level camera, while the 500D is consumer...which presents a problem if you want video. as an amateur camera, the D90 has a better ergonomics than the 500D, so if you don't like the feel of consumer cameras, you either get the D90 or wait for the 60D.

in any case, go to a store and play with the cameras. compare the D90 to a 50D, or a D5000 with a 500D. that way you know which manufacturer's interface fits you better.

This actually brings up an interesting dilemma with Nikon and Canon. Somehow the two are able to market their bodies in niches right between each other. The 500D is arguably more advanced than the D5000 but less so than the D90. Then again, the 40D and 50D are higher up than the D90 with their magnesium alloy builds which are more rugged and can take a beating.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
This actually brings up an interesting dilemma with Nikon and Canon. Somehow the two are able to market their bodies in niches right between each other. The 500D is arguably more advanced than the D5000 but less so than the D90. Then again, the 40D and 50D are higher up than the D90 with their magnesium alloy builds which are more rugged and can take a beating.

That's because they don't do head-to-head competition, they evolve their bodies in teams, and whichever team is next designs the next body to come using what tech they can, and iterating features.

Guys,
I have been reading a lot about D90 or 500D..Seems like each website just talks about the pros and cons depending upon their own mood and style. I would really appreciate if someone can help me here. This will be my first DSLR camera. I am looking to do some close ups, telephoto, and wide angle shots. In short, I want a long run camera with all purpose.

Please keep it to either these. I know a lot of people might tell me to go to either D80 or XSi. But I want to stay current with my equipment and do not want to worry about $100-$200. Just want to be more in versatility.

Thanks A lot.

You're not likely to get noticeably different results from either body in general purpose usage. So, you should either look at the entire systems and what niche uses you find important, handle them both, or just toss a coin- you won't be disappointed with the output of either camera if you get good lenses and can shoot good pictures. The overall choice isn't all that important, as both company's systems offer a range of options, both companies get excellent third party support, and both companies offer a range of bodies, flash systems, full frame sensors, etc.

Markie0284

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
The difference between the D90 and D80, as well as the XSi and T1i are tiny. The video should not be a dealbreaker. dSLRs are for still pictures.

As a Nikon shooter myself (D300), I can say that the difference between the D80 and the D90 is actually quite significant. The D90 has the D300 sensor, screen, and high ISO noise reduction. The image processing is also done quite differently. The D80 will produce vibrant pictures straight from the camera, but will leave little room for improvement in post processing, whereas the D90 will produce less vibrant images that can vastly improve from processing. In my opinion, the D90 is worth every penny, even as an upgrade from the D80.

As far as Canon vs Nikon, this is easy since you are a first time DSLR shooter... go with whichever one feels best for you. I PREFER Nikon, but I have nothing against Canon, and my initial choice was based on control/feel. In terms of image quality (IQ), canon and nikon are going to be nearly identical with the same types of glass. But, as mentioned before, the D90 and the 500D are not in the same class. In fact, Nikon's D90 is closer to Canon's 50D, but the 50D is actually a competitor to Nikon's D300.

As a fair warning, I will suggest to stay away from Nikon's lower end cameras (D40/D60/D3000/D5000) as they will limit you in terms of lens choice.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
As a Nikon shooter myself (D300), I can say that the difference between the D80 and the D90 is actually quite significant. The D90 has the D300 sensor, screen, and high ISO noise reduction. The image processing is also done quite differently. The D80 will produce vibrant pictures straight from the camera, but will leave little room for improvement in post processing, whereas the D90 will produce less vibrant images that can vastly improve from processing. In my opinion, the D90 is worth every penny, even as an upgrade from the D80.

As far as Canon vs Nikon, this is easy since you are a first time DSLR shooter... go with whichever one feels best for you. I PREFER Nikon, but I have nothing against Canon, and my initial choice was based on control/feel. In terms of image quality (IQ), canon and nikon are going to be nearly identical with the same types of glass. But, as mentioned before, the D90 and the 500D are not in the same class. In fact, Nikon's D90 is closer to Canon's 50D, but the 50D is actually a competitor to Nikon's D300.

As a fair warning, I will suggest to stay away from Nikon's lower end cameras (D40/D60/D3000/D5000) as they will limit you in terms of lens choice.

Wow....your point is if I go with low end canon like XSi which is compatible with Ef or Ef-s lenses, I will be in much better shape...As I am a beginner , I can grow my lenses and then buy a nice canon in which I can use my old same lenses..But this will not be the case with Nikon....WOW in this way..I will stick with canon....Atleast I will be able to use my lenses

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Wow....your point is if I go with low end canon like XSi which is compatible with Ef or Ef-s lenses, I will be in much better shape...As I am a beginner , I can grow my lenses and then buy a nice canon in which I can use my old same lenses..But this will not be the case with Nikon....WOW in this way..I will stick with canon....Atleast I will be able to use my lenses
Canon lenses have different limitations: EF-S lenses only fit on crop bodies and they will damage cameras with sensors larger than 1.6x crop. Life is just not that simple.

However, since you asked about the D90 and the D80, they do not have this limitation as they have a built-in focus motor.

localghost

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
Canon lenses have different limitations: EF-S lenses only fit on crop bodies and they will damage cameras with sensors larger than 1.6x crop. Life is just not that simple.

However, since you asked about the D90 and the D80, they do not have this limitation as they have a built-in focus motor.

I find that a bit misleading. EF-S lenses don’t generally damage full-frame cameras. They can not be mounted at all, unless you choose to modify them, in which case some EF-S lenses will hit the mirror of some cameras at some zoom settings. The advantage is that EF-S lenses are closer to the sensor, which improves image quality.

You can use the 1.5 nikon lenses on full-frame, if you want to live with an reduced image circle. While this implementation is far more user friendly than canon EF-S, it’s not ideal.

In any case I would not want to use crop lenses on full frame. You can always stick to full frame lenses right from the start, or sell your crop-lenses when you upgrade (lenses tend to keep their value very well). All canon full frame lenses work on all canon bodies, which is not the case in nikon world.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I find that a bit misleading. EF-S lenses don’t generally damage full-frame cameras. They can not be mounted at all, unless you choose to modify them, in which case some EF-S lenses will hit the mirror of some cameras at some zoom settings. The advantage is that EF-S lenses are closer to the sensor, which improves image quality.
Point is that there are some limitations in both cases, but IMO they're not relevant for the OP.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
OK final deal

As a beginner should I get D90 or not? I am also getting a Canon XSi for $500 with kit lens and D90 with 18-105mm Lens for $1025. Should I just buy Canon and spend the money on lenses. I want to do some macro shots and Nikon Macro lenses are very expensive as compare to Canon. Your honest opinion will be greatly appreciate.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
OK final deal

As a beginner should I get D90 or not? I am also getting a Canon XSi for $500 with kit lens and D90 with 18-105mm Lens for $1025. Should I just buy Canon and spend the money on lenses. I want to do some macro shots and Nikon Macro lenses are very expensive as compare to Canon. Your honest opinion will be greatly appreciate.

Get one and stick with it. The Tamron 90mm SP Di is a great macro lens and comes in Canon and Nikon versions with no price difference. You should look at the high-ISO samples at DP Review for both bodies and factor that into yoru decision if you may shoot high-ISO.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
Get one and stick with it. The Tamron 90mm SP Di is a great macro lens and comes in Canon and Nikon versions with no price difference. You should look at the high-ISO samples at DP Review for both bodies and factor that into yoru decision if you may shoot high-ISO.

I appreciate your suggestion but I want to get the body that I can keep for longer run.

Your suggestion to get the camera is not helping me enough....Please if you can provide me some cons and pros of D90 and lenses with canon and its lenses.

thanks

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I appreciate your suggestion but I want to get the body that I can keep for longer run.

Your suggestion to get the camera is not helping me enough....Please if you can provide me some cons and pros of D90 and lenses with canon and its lenses.

thanks

The pros and cons equal out- it's really not as much about a particular body as it is buying into a particular system. I chose Nikon, but I could get the same results with Canon. I doubt that shutter life is going to be drastically different, and both companies are putting out some very excellent new lenses and have a bunch of great older ones. If you can't shoot with both bodies and factor in the line versus current body, then simply choose one- because ultimately it makes less difference than your choices in lenses, subjects and skills, either tool is a great photographic tool. Right now, the Canon lenses tend to be cheaper, but I doubt that'll stay true for long given the economics and currency conversion issues both companies face. Nikon bit the pricing bullet in Feb., Canon hasn't repriced yet AFAIK.

Overall, I'm much, much happier with the ergonomics of Nikon- and that's a factor for me that transcends some other considerations. Other folks prefer Canon's ergonomics- I can't tell you which you'll prefer, so you'd have to handle both to figure it out. I would say if you do- don't just handle the body you intend to purchase, but a few others to see what the line's ergonomics are like, as you'll be getting a new body in ~4 years and it'll handle a little differently than whichever you choose today.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
those are some effective points...What Nikon Do you use? Also I am looking for Macro shooting.

I went to BestBuy and held both cameras. Canon was lighter and Nikon was heavier. I do not care about the top LCD as you can do the same thing with the side LCD's

Lenses are really cheap for Canon...I am assuming they would go cheaper as the economy turns down. Nikon's are really expensive.

sailor720

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
I have a d90, my GF was a rebel XT. They both take great pictures, but the nikon is much nicer to use imho, it fits my hands better and the controls are way easier to access. Shooting M mode on the rebel is a pain cause i can never remeber where the shift button is, on my d90 i have 2 wheels and can change almost any setting by using a max of 1 button and a wheel. In short i bought the nikon because the ergonomics are worlds better for me and i could afford the price difference.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I think it should be clarified what markie0284 was talking about when he advised you to stay away from Nikon's low end bodies. Nikon makes a handful of camera bodies that don't posses focusing motors in them, they require AF-S lenses in order to be able to autofocus, this isn't as big of a problem as you might think since the low end bodies are each company's money makers. Nikon has been turning out a lot of new AF-S lenses, and re-designing some of their existing lenses to be AF-S. I seriously doubt you'll have any trouble getting whatever lens you need to fill virtually whatever sort of role in an AF-S version anymore.

What all this means is that if you get something like the D60 from Nikon you won't be able to autofocus with say an 85 mm prime lens because Nikon currently doesn't have an AF-S equipped 85 mm prime lens. You could mount it and shoot with it just fine, but you'd have to focus manually.

Now the Nikon bodies from the D90 on up all have focus motors built in, as well as AF-S contacts meaning that there are no lens limitations at all for those bodies. You can mount an 85 f/1.8 and autofocus with the camera's motor, then mount an AF-S DX 35 mm f/1.8G and autofocus with the lenses motor.

Nikon has a better implementation with regards to full frame lenses and crop lenses (Canon calls this EF-S and EF, Nikon calls it DX and FX). FX cameras can mount a DX lens and shoot at reduced resolution because DX lenses are designed to cast an image the size of the D90's sensor into the camera, that won't cover an FX sensor, but at least they can still be used. Canon EF-S lenses can't be mounted on EF cameras (5D on up) at all.

The best thing to do if you have any intention on upgrading in the future is to buy either FX lenses (Nikon) or EF lenses (Canon). That way you will never have compatibility issues at all.

I prefer the Nikons to the Canons, but that's me and you'll need to shoot some with both brands to find out what's better for you. But rest assured that if you're going with at least a D90 from Nikon, you can use any Nikon lens out there with no problems, the compatibility issue isn't there unless you go below the D90 and then it's not bad at all. The D90 will last you just as long as a 500D (probably longer, it's better constructed IMO) this longevity thing is just a misunderstanding.

SLC

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
those are some effective points...What Nikon Do you use? Also I am looking for Macro shooting.

I have both a D2x and a D3x, mostly now I use the D3x. Macro-wise the Tamron 90mm is what I'd probably choose unless I needed a specific working distance or focal length. The few macros I do though don't really need a dedicated lens, so I use a 35-70mm AF-D, which does well enough for my needs.

I went to BestBuy and held both cameras. Canon was lighter and Nikon was heavier. I do not care about the top LCD as you can do the same thing with the side LCD's

I'd focus more on changing settings than weight, with the camera up to your eye, how quickly can you change speeds, modes, focus modes, etc? Are the controls a good fit for your hand?

Lenses are really cheap for Canon...I am assuming they would go cheaper as the economy turns down. Nikon's are really expensive.

No, well-run companies rarely make things cheaper in a bad economy, as you can't climb back up that rope when the economy turns, and your economies of scale fail if you don't have enough orders. Given the Yen's strength and Nikon's raises, I can't see Canon being able to afford to cut prices and stay competitive and profitable, especially given Nikon's market share growth during the downturn. The best you can expect is rebates on already-produced but not sold goods, and JIT manufacturing makes that shallower cuts and less often offered.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
The first thing you should do is go to the store and see which one feels better in your hands. The next thing you should see is which company has the lens system that fits you. Take price into consideration. Do not overlook third party lenses. They are excellent alternatives.

Personally, I would have to just say just go with the 500D. It's cheaper and the mid range lenses are cheaper than the Nikon equivalents. The Nikon's have better ergonomics though. If you really want to invest in the Canon system, go 40D. It's better than 50D. Although I do understand your want to stay current, remember that the body is not as important as the glass. I know people who take ten times better pictures than me with D50s. Don't worry about the bodies. I think the review websites hype the differences up way too much. When I switched from XTi to 40D I only did for ergonomics. As you take pictures more, you'll realize it's not about the newest gadget in your camera but how comfortable it is in your hand and how fast you can reach the controls.

40d to 50d is small difference as well, but you get the lens focus correction option, which I hear is a big deal (not enough for a 300-400 difference for me when I got my 40D).

IMO go with either body, they both are good. IMO Canon's lens are easier to figure out, like naming scheme and all, and you don't have such an issue with DX vs FX etc.. and canon has some cheap good lens's, like the 50 f/1.8, the 85 f/1.8 and the 55-250 (decent lens for its price).

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I find that a bit misleading. EF-S lenses don’t generally damage full-frame cameras. They can not be mounted at all, unless you choose to modify them, in which case some EF-S lenses will hit the mirror of some cameras at some zoom settings.

no, they won't. you just get vignetting.

The advantage is that EF-S lenses are closer to the sensor, which improves image quality.

huh? EF-S mount has nothing to do with image quality. it has to do with cost and weight, and Canon decided to add a rubber extension to prevent them from mounting on non-APS-C cameras.

You can use the 1.5 nikon lenses on full-frame, if you want to live with an reduced image circle. While this implementation is far more user friendly than canon EF-S, it’s not ideal.

don't the D700 and such have a DX shooting option?

the deal with Nikon is that the D40, D60, and D5000 MUST use AF-S lenses. that means you don't get autofocus if you want to use non-AF-S lenses...but there're plenty of AF-S lenses at every focal length range, so it shouldn't be a big issue unless you want older lenses. DX lenses will work on everything.

with Canon lenses, EF lenses will mount to any Canon SLR, and EF-S will only mount to the 20-50D and 300-500D without modification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.