Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Other way*around. White is all ones, once the sensor's recorded it as that, there's no way to recover anything. Digital is like slide film, you have to shoot for the highlights and let the shadows fall where they may.
Oo, then isn't exposing to the right side of the histogram means overexposing?

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
The D3x shoots far more than 12 MP for the people who need it, but the D3 shoots 12 MP. And it does have better noise response.

I think there's a good reason they did that. But don't take my word for it. Get ahold of a massive printer, OnOne Fractals, and a well-shot 10 MP image and see what you can do with it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Oo, then isn't exposing to the right side of the histogram means overexposing?

Not unless you blow out a channel- but that's the risk in hitting the most dynamic range you can- you have to get up to, but not past the right side of the histogram.

The D3x shoots far more than 12 MP for the people who need it, but the D3 shoots 12 MP. And it does have better noise response.

So far the D3x is bettering the D2x with close to the same pixel density- but I only got the body on Monday so it'll be a while before I get used to it. I'm hoping for a stop or so of lower noise high-ISO with higher dynamic range.

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks for everyones input! Really is a good friendly professional community here!

I have just realized that all my D70 images that I have been comparing the D90's too were all taken at 200 iso!

So I was unfairly comparing the two. I've only had the D90 a few week's and trusted auto iso to do its job, I thought it was to good to be true getting every shot while photographing a street festival full of movement . But the camera was using really high ISO's. It dose this allot, including just taking shots around the house. (The image with the TV is the example of digital looking noise at iso 800. ).

So I've learnt a bit about iso, keep it near its default! Between 200-400!! Should achieve silky smooth images with my D90 form now on, like the D70 images images of my electric tooth brush and window.

The picture of me was taken at 320 iso on my D90. The eyes are 100% crop!

Darrell, you've really screwed with my mind. I just bought a D300 because I didn't like my D200. The images were not as good as the images I took with my D70. And to make things worse, I just printed one of my early digital photos to a large format canvas and it looks sharp even at close range. The photo was taken with a Nikon point and shoot 5700 late in the evening with low light. Here's a pic of the canvas hanging in my living room. (Superstition Mountains, Apache Junction, AZ)

Jon

JonBean, that canvas looks amazing! I think you will be alright with the D300. Apparently it has a low pass filter and other image tech they dropped from my D90 in order to save money. The feel of the camera is amazing too.

I miss my D70! I'm still considering weather I need to but a D80/D200 as they are CCD based and I really do believe their is a visible difference in image out put. Whether its just what I prefer, I feel they are more natural arty looking. The change in technology to cmos is better for most as its faster, cheaper etc but digital medium format still use ccd for the quality and thats my reasoning!

Attachments

• _DSC0039 (1).jpg
    _DSC0039 (1).jpg
    123 KB · Views: 111
  • _DSC0039.jpg
    _DSC0039.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 102
  • _DSC0018 (1) copy.jpg
    _DSC0018 (1) copy.jpg
    646.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0001 (1).jpg
    DSC_0001 (1).jpg
    167 KB · Views: 86

canonguy

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
Wow, thanks for the advice guy's. Maybe a Canon 5D full frame should have been my upgrade. Or 24mp Mark II. I know alot of people that print massive prints are happy with that!

But as always on a budget and impatient! Maybe I need to sell some of my macs and D90 and get serious!"

I think you are on the right track... I use a 5D daily at ISO3200 (expanded) with excellent results... as long as you don't need to adjust in PP. The new MrkII is much better yet.

No reason you couldn't stay with nikon, just stay in the professional level models, rather than advanced amateur. The difference (in quality) between a d90 and a 50d is less than the difference between the d90 and d300.

I guess I am saying move up rather than over...?

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Thank you! I have my D90 all packed up too take back to the store under the 30 day return policy. But was still undecided. For an extra £300 I could get a used D300! Might be worth aiming for to be totally happy ;)

Apr 10, 2007
your pictures look good to me, but if I'm not mistaken you can set auto iso to stay within a certain iso range, like no lower than 200 iso and no higher than 800 iso.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Other way*around. White is all ones, once the sensor's recorded it as that, there's no way to recover anything. Digital is like slide film, you have to shoot for the highlights and let the shadows fall where they may.

You are correct on this. Once the image is overexposed (a blown sky, for example), it's very difficult to make it look better since a lot of the details are gone. But I have noticed that there is higher ISO noise in underexposed images, although this noise can be easily cleaned with NeatImage, NoiseNinja, and such.

Daisys4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
NY
so which camera should I get for large prints?

So, I'm a little late joining this thread.I was thinking about getting the D90 even considering the D300. Now I'm not sure what to do...I am interested in blowing up photos for framing...maybe as large as 20" x30" or even larger. Which camera should I get? I have read the thread and maybe the answer is there somewhere, but some of it was a bit technical for me...

I still have my old film camera Canon AE1... I was thinking of dusting that one of. :)

Thanks!

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
So, I'm a little late joining this thread.I was thinking about getting the D90 even considering the D300. Now I'm not sure what to do...I am interested in blowing up photos for framing...maybe as large as 20" x30" or even larger. Which camera should I get? I have read the thread and maybe the answer is there somewhere, but some of it was a bit technical for me...

I still have my old film camera Canon AE1... I was thinking of dusting that one of. :)

Thanks!

Any current DSLR can make prints this large. The question is: how close do you want to view the shots? You don't need 300dpi for billboard sized shots.

Plus, there are software packages you can get that do a very good job of upsampling. OnOne Fractals immediately comes to mind.

Daisys4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
NY
Thank you Edge100. I'm just going to have to make up my mind on one...I'm dragging feet. Are those your photoson the website? Very nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.