Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
I have the Tamrac Adventure 9 Series in Camo. It is a great bag and has tons of room. I carry my D50, Sigma 70-300, and my smaller lens, my quantaray flash, some filters, lens and body caps, and there is still more room! And the Laptop slot is great to carry Photo mags too for quick tips. I don't use it for my laptop, well I don't have a Mac laptop, but there is plenty of space in there too

5549m_open.jpg

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
One thing the Crumpler has that most of these don't is "slingability" - you don't have to take the bag off and set it on the ground to get at your camera. You just slip off one shoulder strap and pull it around front a bit.

That may not matter to you at all; but it was something I was looking for.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Tenba make a backpack-style bag...

It looks like Tenba also has some other nice backpacks in it's "shootout" line.

I like how on this one it has the quick access pods on the side so you can take out lenses without taking off the backpack (watch the youtube video):

http://www.tenba.com/pc-875-6-shooutout-medium-backpack.aspx

Nice tripod carrying system too.

They also have rolling versions with a handle that extends out (although it looks like that adds about 4 lbs to the weight).

I've been shopping around for a bag too... and now I'm debating between the medium Tenba shootout, and one of the Crumpler bags.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I agree with this also. I actually use two crumpler bags, a 5 million dollar home for my camera equipment (slr + 2 lenses + flash) and put that in a Crumpler King Single.

I found the Barge a bit too big and returned it and got the King Single.

One thing the Crumpler has that most of these don't is "slingability" - you don't have to take the bag off and set it on the ground to get at your camera. You just slip off one shoulder strap and pull it around front a bit.

MacGromit

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
North Carolina
If you have a filter on your lenses, you don't really need to use caps.

Lens caps are just one more thing getting in your way to take pictures.

The lenses in that shot of course don't have filters, :eek:

While I appreciate the "throw caution to the wind, c'est la vie" attitude... even the filter costs more than you just want to be tossing into that same proverbial wind.

Scratching or worse, cracking a circular polarizing filter isn't worth the 2 seconds it takes to pop off a lens cap.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Need some help too

hi everyone. I am in the same boat. I am looking for a good backpack/laptop/camera bag. here are my uses/equipment

Equip:
d40X with 18-135 lens
either a macbook or a macbook air (to be purchased after WWDC)
ipod
sony noise canceling headphones
chargers, cords, accessories

Here are my uses.
Typically hit China 2x a year. Don't take the camera to this so I can free up that room, for the paper files and trip books i take w/me (business, not pleasure)
germany 1x/year (again, no camera)

Wife and I usually take one good trip every other year. This fall heading to Austria and Italy. Will be taking the big camera, laptop, other items.

I am torn between these two items.

Booq Python (not sure if it will have enough room for the paper files and other books that I take to China) also concerned about room for things like a book, my headphones etc.

Booq Python pro with sleeve. This looks like it may suit my needs since it has more room. I would rather have more than less. My question on this one though is that Booq offers this as a "kit" that includes a sleeve, but online it only lists the 15" and 17" sleeve. Will they sell me the pro kit with the Vyper XS2 sleeve for the same price?
I like the fact that you can access the camera bag thru the front of the bag. This would be very convenient rather than pulling everything out of the bag to reach the camera bag (my assumption on the python)

Thanks for any light you can shed on my dilemma here.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I have Lowepro CompuDaypack. It is only $72 from Bestbuy. It is great backpack- you can use it as regular one after removing inserts. Or if you leave everything it carries camera with one lens attached and at least one more lens (zoom telephoto). There is a room for laptop and filters, flash, memory cards, a few books, and other gear. Fully loaded it is on a bigger side, but some people call it medium. I guess it really depends if you want to look like a turtle or not.:) Besides, would you like to carry more than 15 pounds or not? I prefer less heavy loads, because my back feels better.
Also this backpack does not look like you have a laptop and camera inside- it is very "regular" backpack.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Booq is not made for camera gear. You can put camera, but it is not designed that way- it has no surrounding cushions. Or it might have, but it is not adjustable for your camera, so it will rattle around more or less. Also $225! Is it worth for 4 trips a year? You don't really need laptop sleeve unless you plan to use only a sleeve for some time and don't carry backpack. Other use would be if pocket for a laptop is too big, which would probably be with Mac Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.