Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I have nothing of value ON the device. Everything like contacts, photos etc.

For me, that is an argument against, not for.

Pre-cloud-everything I could just restore any device from backup and be up and running just where I was.

Now, if buggy beta software screws with my photos, contacts, reminders, e-mail, iCloud Drive files, drafts, settings or keychain things become much more difficult to restore, if you even detect that something has gone wrong.

Not only will I not install beta software on any device with iCloud enabled, but I will also wait and follow feedback after the first point release is out.

Reactions: kave

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I guess it depends on how you use your phone. I have nothing of value ON the device. Everything like contacts, photos etc. are stored on iCloud anyway and easily restored. In fact, every few months I completely wipe my iPhone / iPad without restoring from a backup and only things that are actually stored on iCloud (like WhatsApp backups) return. I am weird like that haha
It goes well except for the times where they bork something iCloud related, which happens quite a lot. There are already reports of iCloud keychain entries being deleted if you mess around with the group sharing feature they introduce in iOS 17.

Any time they touch anything iCloud related, I instantly become weary of updating right away. Even if nothing bricks, they usually upgrade data structures which block you from downgrading if you want to e.g. continue to see your Reminders or Notes.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
I have the 17 dev beta on my work device and SMS failed to send notification is still happening from day 1, all messages go through but the failed to send notification is getting old. Still holding off on installing on my personal device.
Heads up. Just updated to iOS 17 on my personal 14 Pro. Not having that SMS issue on my end.

BAZ1307

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I went to the Genius Bar about having many glitches with an iPhone 14 Pro Max on iOS 16.5 and they told me to restore my phone and set it up from scratch.

Then, I saw I had access to the iOS 17 beta and thought I may as well install it, if all else fails I’ll just restore my phone anyway.

Well weirdly iOS 17 has removed all the glitches I was having with iOS 16 and seems a lot more stable even as a beta. I’m really baffled but happy to be able to say iOS 17 solved all my iPhone’s issues. :D

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Been daily driving it since it came out on my 14 Pro Max and so far iOS 17 Dev Beta 1 is overall pretty rock solid for me, battery life is roughly the same as before, all the apps that I use daily work just fine though I did have to reinstall paypal as it was unstable at first, it opened ok but tapping something inside would cause it to crash the app. I reinstalled that app and it's now rock solid.

Apart from crossfade causing the music settings to crash which seems to happen to everyone so that's should be fixed in the next few updates I hope as it's easy to reproduce. I have had no issues, even carplay using my 3rd party wireless adapter is working just fine.

Been daily driving Watch OS 10 as well on my ultra and apart from the home app not showing my temperature/humidity sensors (page is blank on the watch, iPhone shows them fine) which is annoying everything else is running very smoothly. Battery life on that is also on par with OS 9 at least for me, been 18hrs and I'm down from 100% to 74% which is very close to what it was before.

I upgraded mainly to be able to share the AirTags and that works great. For a first dev beta it's really good. Haven't tried SMS through iMessage so can't say if I have it, may have though as it seems to be a common bug, but I don't have anyone to send an SMS to so it doesn't affect me, as long as they come in which they do I'm fine until that bug is fixed.

Reactions: MD0600

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Been daily driving it since it came out on my 14 Pro Max and so far iOS 17 Dev Beta 1 is overall pretty rock solid for me, battery life is roughly the same as before, all the apps that I use daily work just fine though I did have to reinstall paypal as it was unstable at first, it opened ok but tapping something inside would cause it to crash the app. I reinstalled that app and it's now rock solid.

Apart from crossfade causing the music settings to crash which seems to happen to everyone so that's should be fixed in the next few updates I hope as it's easy to reproduce. I have had no issues, even carplay using my 3rd party wireless adapter is working just fine.

Been daily driving Watch OS 10 as well on my ultra and apart from the home app not showing my temperature/humidity sensors (page is blank on the watch, iPhone shows them fine) which is annoying everything else is running very smoothly. Battery life on that is also on par with OS 9 at least for me, been 18hrs and I'm down from 100% to 74% which is very close to what it was before.

I upgraded mainly to be able to share the AirTags and that works great. For a first dev beta it's really good. Haven't tried SMS through iMessage so can't say if I have it, may have though as it seems to be a common bug, but I don't have anyone to send an SMS to so it doesn't affect me, as long as they come in which they do I'm fine until that bug is fixed.
I've got to say my experience is very similar. I haven't experienced any crashes or indeed any strange behaviour or bugs. So far so good and battery life is only marginally down on 16.6 if at all.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
I've got to say my experience is very similar. I haven't experienced any crashes or indeed any strange behaviour or bugs. So far so good and battery life is only marginally down on 16.6 if at all.

Yea i sort of have to retract everything I said now because after milking my phone and starting from scratch the beta has been nearly flawless on my phone. Even better than 16.6, there must have been some real gunk in my backup that wasn’t playing nice with iOS 17.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.