Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Has anyone else's Dark Mode stopped switchiing on automatically? I have it set to automatic sunrise / sunset but it is not switching to dark at sunset.

Oddly, it *is* switching back to Light mode in the morning after I manually switch Dark Mode on, and Night Shift is turning on automatically fine.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: curdy and DomoRules

StuBFrost

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
Manchester, England
Has anyone else's Dark Mode stopped switchiing on automatically? I have it set to automatic sunrise / sunset but it is not switching to dark at sunset.

Oddly, it *is* switching back to Light mode in the morning.

I presumed it was only me with this issue. I turned my phone off and on and I think it’s now ok but I’ll see in the morning.

Reactions: DomoRules and mach

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015

Oddly, it *is* switching back to Light mode in the morning.

Same exact issue here. It's annoying to have to manually trigger dark mode. Light mode switches on its own.

Reactions: mach

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Same issue here. A reboot fixed it for maybe a day. Custom schedule doesn't appear to be bugged though.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I made another thread about this in the iPhone forum. I think it’s 14 Pro specific and is caused by the always on display.

It will not switch to dark mode as long as the screen is on, also not when the always on Lock Screen is showing. It will only switch automatically if the always on display is completely turned off in your pocket, upside on the table or in sleep focus. So as long as you can see the time on the always on display it will not change to dark mode. This seems like another annoying bug to me.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I made another thread about this in the iPhone forum. I think it’s 14 Pro specific and is caused by the always on display.

It will not switch to dark mode as long as the screen is on, also not when the always on Lock Screen is showing. It will only switch automatically if the always on display is completely turned off in your pocket, upside on the table or in sleep focus. So as long as you can see the time on the always on display it will not change to dark mode. This seems like another annoying bug to me.
No, that's not true that it's limited to the 14 Pro. I have a 2022 SE and it happened on that too.

mach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Anyone know if iOS 16.1 fixes this issue?
After switching it to scheduled per Wildsky’s suggestion, I tried switching it back to automatic and it’s been working now. Not sure how it made any difference, but worth a shot if you haven’t tried already.

Reactions: s2mike

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
After switching it to scheduled per Wildsky’s suggestion, I tried switching it back to automatic and it’s been working now. Not sure how it made any difference, but worth a shot if you haven’t tried already.
Huh. Just tried this and it seems to have worked. Well, at least it worked today…hoping it continues to work.

mach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Welp, just when I thought this was resolved, today I switched to a different wallpaper, noticed after sunset no dark mode. So the bug definitely must be tied to custom wallpapers / focus modes.

• Sad

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Sorry man. Zero fixes for this currently. Hopefully the 16.03 release rumored for release this week fixes it.

anthonyzp

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Same issue though for me in the mornings at sunrise, dark mode remains. I have to manually toggle dark mode off at sunrise, so appears to be the other way round. Bug it seems. 16.1 next week hopefully fixes.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Same issue though for me in the mornings at sunrise, dark mode remains. I have to manually toggle dark mode off at sunrise, so appears to be the other way round. Bug it seems. 16.1 next week hopefully fixes.
Weird — I’ve only ever seen people talk about how it fails going from light to dark mode. Interesting.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I’ve been testing the following theory: the always-on display must not be active in order to trigger light/dark mode.

For me, the phone seemed to have no problem triggering light mode at sunrise, but would never trigger dark mode at sunset.

I began to wonder if light mode was always triggered because the phone sits on my nightstand when I’m sleeping, so the always-on display turns off after a few hours, so it then triggers light mode with no issue. I wondered if dark mode would trigger on its own if the always-on display wasn’t active…

Just now the phone was sitting next to me with the always-on display active. Sunset came and went and the phone remained in light mode. Then I flipped the phone over and had it sitting face down for ten seconds. Turned it back over and dark mode had been triggered.

So, at least in my case, the always-on display cannot be active in order to properly trigger light/dark mode.

Hope they fix that.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Still bugged for me on my iPad and 16.2. I have it set to switch with sunrise and sunset. Light mode will switch on, but dark mode will not.

problemSOL

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2023
Has anyone else's Dark Mode stopped switching on automatically?
I solved this problem by turning off “dark mode - set to darksleep focus filter, looks like it has priority over sunset option and system just waiting for this focus status to kick in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.