Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronkleim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2024
Hello, ran utilities, have a mismatched start up disc
I'm a PC guy, this thing is Weird 😞 😭
On an android
Also have a PC
This mac has a DVD drive, Goes on line via WIFI, BUT won't download anything or play files........
HELP🤯

Attachments

• unnamed.gif
    unnamed.gif
    141.2 KB · Views: 43

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
What do you mean by "mismatched start up disc"?

You should probably mention what model iMac and which verson of macOS it has.

Is this an iMac that was previously running fine?

ronkleim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2024
Second hand machine.
No start up disc.
Can I wipe the HD and install Darwin or just some OS that works
No files to save
I Mac

Attachments

• IMG_20240508_114127662.jpg
    IMG_20240508_114127662.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240508_114148607.jpg
    IMG_20240508_114148607.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 18

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah…you can't install macOS on an iMac with an installer disk for a MacBook Pro.

This is the iMac you have:

The unknown variables are how much RAM is installed and what sort of hard drive it has (it came with a mechanical, spinner hard drive).

Officially, the latest version of macOS it will run El Capitan (macOS 10.11.6).

There are methods to install later versions of macOS (OCLP, dosdude1). You probably need 8GB of RAM and an SSD to run anything like that. An external SSD would do.

But to get macOS on there, at a minimum, you need to make a USB thumbdrive installer of one of the Apple approved versions of macOS. You might even find obstacles to that…hurdles that have come up over the years affecting valid installations on older Macs. Research is your friend.

Another thing you could try is making a compatible USB installer for a Linux disto. More research.

ronkleim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2024
Yeah I figured you guys could set me up with something that works I know it's probably not official the Apple you're supposed to own the operating system or whatever it is but anyway I like something that just works can you just give me a step-by-step of that?

ronkleim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2024
I mean I can mail this thing somewhere if you if you guys want to somebody wants to work on it I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on it right

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah I figured you guys could set me up with something that works I know it's probably not official the Apple you're supposed to own the operating system or whatever it is but anyway I like something that just works can you just give me a step-by-step of that?
dosdude1 and the Dortania site for OCLP both have "step-by-step" instructions. There…I have given them to you.
I mean I can mail this thing somewhere if you if you guys want to somebody wants to work on it I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on it right
It would cost you almost as much to mail it as it is worth.

I have the 2009 MacBook which, years back, I upgraded the hard drive to an SSD and the RAM to max. I wouldn't bother now. Still using it…although I probably wouldn't if it weren't a laptop. It's running Ventura via OCLP.

ronkleim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2024
Thanks🤓
The laptops my roommate gave me were easy to wipe although the HD can be "passworded".
He died of Covid and left me a lot of android tvs and computer crap.

I never understood the Windows ******** about "registering" a copy of winOS10 when I supposedly downloaded a fair and square copy updated version from Amazon .
The laptop works WITHOUT ACTUALLY USING WINDOWS?🤯
I do ramble

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Plug in a keyboard. Plug in to Ethernet for internet.
Turn on, immediately start holding Option-Command-R.
The computer will start up with "internet based macOS recovery" and allow you to reinstall the OS.

ronkleim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2024
Seems too easy bro
I didn't buy this thing ya know 😞

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.