Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I've had many Macs, and they had issues yes. But 2017 model seems to have one too many.

- Intermitent popping sound coming from hinge/screen area while in use
- Cold start opening lid weird sounds
- Battery life subpar just using safari, I'm a 1 tab user and I see battery run down by a minute: 1% - 1m.
- Screen colors? Bluish? Compare with store items. Compared to 2014 mbpr it seems off.
- Battery indicator gets stuck, shows charging source even when on battery. Also % it gets stuck sometimes.
- Excessive battery loss when sleeping, 10% ~ 12h

I only have the first two problems with my 2017 machine.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Screen colors? Bluish? Compare with store items. Compared to 2014 mbpr it seems off.

Is it calibrated? AFAIK the 2016+ MBPs come with factory calibrated screens and they are regarded as one of the most color-accurate laptop displays currently on the market by the independent reviewers. Maybe yours need calibration and/or its your 2014 unit that is not calibrated properly?

- Battery life subpar just using safari, I'm a 1 tab user and I see battery run down by a minute: 1% - 1m.
- Battery indicator gets stuck, shows charging source even when on battery. Also % it gets stuck sometimes.
- Excessive battery loss when sleeping, 10% ~ 12h

This is definitely not normal! You should be getting at least 8 hours when using safari (and not doing anything too crazy). Maybe there are some rogue processes that are eating up your battery? What does the energy tab in the activity monitor say?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
It is possible that there are different issues, but the one I talk about is where the sound comes from the middle bottom section (if you press a finger on it, you'll usually notice that there is something loose, the parts don't connect tightly together). I also discussed this with an Apple technician who repairs our laptops and he says that its two glued sheets of plastic coming apart, probably due to heat and tension in that area. However, that is usually where it stops, this "delamination" doesn't spread further along the hinge. I've seen a lot of laptops that have that section of the display loose (I found it more difficult to find a unit that doesn't have it actually), but none of had any hinge etc. problems. I see it as a mildly annoying cosmetic issue in most cases. There are also instances of course when the crashing is very frequent and also very loud, and thats when it becomes a major problem. I certainly hope that Apple has addressed this in the 2018 model.

I have the cracking/popping hinge on opening, cracking/popping hinge on use, and cracking/movement when you push the bottom back of the screen.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I have the cracking/popping hinge on opening, cracking/popping hinge on use, and cracking/movement when you push the bottom back of the screen.

Yeah, I agree, that sounds a bit too much... I'd have a technician look at this.

salivan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
Is it calibrated? AFAIK the 2016+ MBPs come with factory calibrated screens and they are regarded as one of the most color-accurate laptop displays currently on the market by the independent reviewers. Maybe yours need calibration and/or its your 2014 unit that is not calibrated properly?

This is definitely not normal! You should be getting at least 8 hours when using safari (and not doing anything too crazy). Maybe there are some rogue processes that are eating up your battery? What does the energy tab in the activity monitor say?

I don't have problems with colors per se, I've problems with whites.

https://ibb.co/dg4cFo
https://ibb.co/j0v688

Left is mbpr2014, right is mbpr2017 touch.
As you can see white on new model is actually 20% grey.
mbpr2014 has more pleasant white. In real life difference is bigger, camera doesn't capture how dirty new MacBook whites look.

Regarding battery life, I don't see anything particularly strange in activity monitor, there is no spotlight indexing or anything like that. I also keep brightness at less than 50% constantly.

Other then this issues, I ❤️ touch model. I'm a developer, so I've programmed touch bar for tmux/vim in command line which I use for work. Its fantastic. Its also fast with 3.5 processor and 16gb ram.

But problems I've listed are not letting me enjoy it as much.

moetekita

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
It is possible that there are different issues, but the one I talk about is where the sound comes from the middle bottom section (if you press a finger on it, you'll usually notice that there is something loose, the parts don't connect tightly together). I also discussed this with an Apple technician who repairs our laptops and he says that its two glued sheets of plastic coming apart, probably due to heat and tension in that area. However, that is usually where it stops, this "delamination" doesn't spread further along the hinge. I've seen a lot of laptops that have that section of the display loose (I found it more difficult to find a unit that doesn't have it actually), but none of had any hinge etc. problems. I see it as a mildly annoying cosmetic issue in most cases. There are also instances of course when the crashing is very frequent and also very loud, and thats when it becomes a major problem. I certainly hope that Apple has addressed this in the 2018 model.
man,did they tell you how to solve this problem except for changing the whole display? being tortured by this problem.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
So Apple replaced the entire screen on my laptop and the clicking has gone away. I haven’t shook it yet to see whether that other rattling is still there!

sirius01010101

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
I have the same rattle sound coming from the display on my one week old MacBook Air 2018, anyone with the same issue on the new MacBook Pro 2018?

Yoda5747654

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2021
I bought my m1 MacBook pro last week and realized today the exact sound what you are telling now. When I tilt it right left there is a sound coming from it. Started to think if the batteries adhesives are not too strong?!?

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Not adhesive, it's a plastic panel in the screen assembly, which is not glued and in some temperature can move freely inside.

I hope they finally will fix this in the M1X MBP...

Reactions: Yoda5747654

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
I bought my m1 MacBook pro last week and realized today the exact sound what you are telling now. When I tilt it right left there is a sound coming from it. Started to think if the batteries adhesives are not too strong?!?
You can test it, if you grap and push gently the screen, you fix the plate and it this case it can't move.

Yoda5747654

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2021
You can test it, if you grap and push gently the screen, you fix the plate and it this case it can't move.
oh thank you. rather than pressing the screen will it make any problem in the future?

Edit. I opened the lid and make a test by flipping down and upside of the screen and absolutely something is moving inside the screen as like you said.

sirius01010101

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
oh thank you. rather than pressing the screen will it make any problem in the future?

Edit. I opened the lid and make a test by flipping down and upside of the screen and absolutely something is moving inside the screen as like you said.
I have zero problems with my MBA 2018 so far, the rattle seems to be normal, enjoy your new MBP :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.