Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Death Stranding Quick and Dirty- A work in progress
Caution: Spoilers Within

Death-Stranding-Feature.jpg

Updates
  • 10June21- Added Crossing Rivers, Saving Content, Death Strandings Description.

My Description based on brief exposure: Open world, post apocalyptic game, bad things have happened to the Earth, set in North America. You are the UPS Man, making deliveries of important supplies to isolated locations. I can't yet tell you what particular event is responsible for this situation, but there are time anomalies that look like rain and there are nasty entities known as BTs (Breached Things) to avoid if possible. The scenery is stunning, many close up facial animations are superb, walking into this game intrigue levels are through the roof. I believe there is combat, but that is not the emphasis of the game. If I understand it correctly, more emphasis on stats should go into carrying abilities and survival skills. And there is a subdued online element, where players of this game can indirectly help others by leaving items that will appear in other people's games. Does this have staying power? More to come!

Description from Wikipedia:
Death Stranding is an action game set in an open world, and includes asynchronous online functions. Kojima refers to Death Stranding as the first "strand game", an original genre characterized by the game's incorporation of social elements. Kojima compared this genre to how his earlier game Metal Gear—now considered a stealth game—was called an action game during its release because the stealth genre had not been established.

The player controls Sam Bridges, a porter for a company known as Bridges. The player is tasked with delivering supply cargo to various isolated cities known as KNOTs, as well as isolated researchers and survivalists, while also connecting them to a communications system known as the Chiral Network. The player is evaluated by the company and recipients based on their performance (including via "likes" similar to social networks), including whether the cargo was delivered, and if it is intact among other factors. These merits are, in turn, used to level up the player's statistics, such as stability and weight capacity, and increase their standing with individual locations and characters (which can improve rewards). How cargo is packed by the player, and the overall weight being carried, affect Sam's ability to navigate through the environments.

Links

Misc
  • For Mac? Not on Steam and even though I saw a place where a Mac version was offered for download, I don't trust it.

Terms
  • BTs- https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/Beached_thingv Beached things (BTs) are entities whose souls are stranded in the world of the living following the events of the Death Stranding.BTs are considered extremely dangerous and are almost invariably hostile toward living things. Because the bodies of BTs contain antimatter, if they consume a living thing, a voidout will be triggered, causing a massive explosion capable of destroying entire cities.
  • Bridge Baby- https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/Bridge_baby A Bridge Baby, also known simply as a BB, is an unborn fetus that has been taken from a stillmother to be used as equipment by Bridges operatives. A stillmother's womb facilitates a connection between the world of the dead and a Bridge Baby, granting Bridges operatives the ability to sense and detect BTs when physically connected. Deadman notes that there is no record of a Bridge Baby remaining in service for longer than a year.
  • Death Strandings- is the titular series of supernatural events in the world of the eponymous game. Beginning with simultaneous explosions around the world, the Death Stranding resulted in the world of the dead and living becoming connected, with drastic consequences for human society and the ecosystem. https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/Death_Stranding_(phenomenon)
  • Timefalls- A form of precipitation that causes temporal acceleration of nearly anything it comes into direct contact with. This takes the form of rain, snow or even hail, depending on the climate. The time acceleration effect only happens the first time the timefall hits an object, and becomes normal safe water afterwards. Additionally, it will only affect what it comes into direct contact with: for instance, if part of a person's body comes into contact with timefall, only that part will be aged. It is unknown what causes timefall, although it appears to be connected to BTs and high chiral densities.
    Effect on cargo
    Timefall will degrade the integrity of Sam's cargo containers should he find himself caught in a shower of it. Sam may use container repair spray to restore the integrity of his cargo containers.
Game Mechanics/Getting Started
  • Crossing Rivers- It's especially helpful to use your scanner (Q) to look for blue/yellow areas to cross. You'll lose your footing in red areas.
  • Game Compass- Can be used to determine how far down the ground is if you need to jump.
  • Prolog Tips/:

• How to Play online and multiplayer- Not a traditional multiplayer game, there is no one who appears in your game for coop, but there are items left by other players.
    Note: On the PC version of this game under Game Settings, there is a Login Upon Launch Choice. If turned on, then you'll be automatically be connected to a server.
  • Saving Content- There appears to be no game saves in-base. You have to step outside the base, or save your game just before entering the base to get a save in before you quit for a play session.
  • Scanning the Environment-
    Once you scan the environment (Q), you'll be able to see cargo (which will be highlighted with a blue circle), as well as the treachery of the environment. This is super important to keep in mind throughout the entire game, so scan often, adjust your path if necessary, and be prepared for the kinds of surfaces you're about to traverse!
    • Blue dots - This surface is more or less safe to traverse
    • Yellow triangle - This surface will be slippery, and has a greater chance of causing you to slip and lose balance if you don't approach it with some caution
    • Red cross - This surface is treacherous, and will cause you to trip and fall if you don't approach it with caution
  • Shared Content: This is also a Game Settings setting. So far I see no downside of sharing stuff online. Players can build structures and leave items that will remain in the game world.
  • Repatriate?- Return to life from the Seam, got it. Sam is a "repatriate", which means he can come back from the dead from a place know as the Seam, by doing a Repatriation. When you die, you need to complete a mini-game to find your body to revive Sam instead of a game load. Hot to Repatriate:

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Shared Content: This is also a Game Settings setting. So far I see no downside of sharing stuff online, it will help you and other players that is if you want the help.

Can anyone comment on this statement from post 1? This choice is Don't share Structures, Signs and Vehicles or Share Everything.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Shared Content: This is also a Game Settings setting. So far I see no downside of sharing stuff online, it will help you and other players that is if you want the help.

Can anyone comment on this statement from post 1? This choice is Don't share Structures, Signs and Vehicles or Share Everything.

Sharing stuff is probably the coolest feature of the game. The more your stuff gets used by other players, the more permanent it becomes. (Eventually everything gets washed away by the rain.)

It’s a shame the game is so fundamentally boring. I appreciate the Metal Gear level of detail that‘s gone into it, but it’s just crushingly dull to play. Tap left and right to balance while you stagger around with a giant pack on your back; deliver items to a base (that you can’t actually enter), then pick up more stuff to take to another featureless drop-off point in the empty landscape.

That’s the entire core gameplay. Everything else is just glitter and padding. If the story doesn’t grab you (and it is badly written, jargon-filled nonsense, even by Kojima’s standards) then there’s nothing else there. I wanted to love it because the controls are so slick and it looks so great, but it’s just no fun to play. What you‘ve seen after two hours is basically all you’re going to see for the next 20.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sharing stuff is probably the coolest feature of the game. The more your stuff gets used by other players, the more permanent it becomes. (Eventually everything gets washed away by the rain.)

It’s a shame the game is so fundamentally boring. I appreciate the Metal Gear level of detail that‘s gone into it, but it’s just crushingly dull to play. Tap left and right to balance while you stagger around with a giant pack on your back; deliver items to a base (that you can’t actually enter), then pick up more stuff to take to another featureless drop-off point in the empty landscape.

That’s the entire core gameplay. Everything else is just glitter and padding. If the story doesn’t grab you (and it is badly written, jargon-filled nonsense, even by Kojima’s standards) then there’s nothing else there. I wanted to love it because the controls are so slick and it looks so great, but it’s just no fun to play. What you‘ve seen after two hours is basically all you’re going to see for the next 20.
Thanks for the input. I have my fingers crossed I can stick with it. So far it’s intriguing but hope it does not become just a UPS adventure, although visuals right now, at this point, are very cool.

I’ve noticed for balance I just hit both the LMB and RMB and that seems to keep me upright.

I read the more people use your stuff, your stats are raised?

How would you go about strategizing what to leave where? And what kind of things are valued? I read that sign are very valuable to other players. I assume your sign is marked as a player contribution?

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Thanks for the input. I have my fingers crossed I can stick with it. So far it’s intriguing but hope it does not become just a UPS adventure, although visuals right now, at this point, are very cool.

I’ve noticed for balance I just hit both the LMB and RMB and that seems to keep me upright.

I read the more people use your stuff, your stats are raised?

How would you go about strategizing what to leave where? And what kind of things are valued? I read that sign are very valuable to other players. I assume your sign is marked as a player contribution?
There really isn’t much else to it. If you’ve played a couple of hours already, the only things you’ve got left to see, gameplay-wise, are better equipment and some vehicles to speed up the drudgery. A lot of the interesting stuff happens in cutscenes.

Regarding strategy, I don’t think what you leave has much long-term effect. Obviously more players will use it if you’ve placed something useful on a well-trodden route, but all those ‘likes’ you get are not critically important. Dropping signs near the entrance to your base, or ladders over the nearest river, seems to be effective.

I’m not sure how the game chooses which player items to drop into your game, though. It’s an unusual system, but after a while you realise that it doesn’t matter if there’s a bridge or a ladder exactly here, a warning sign exactly there. The whole landscape is littered with stuff.

I don’t think it’s a good thing that the game is improved by anonymous players creating shortcuts for you. It can be a great relief when you find a ladder just where you need it, but that’s only because the traversal mechanic is so repetitive and unpleasant to play.

Anyway, some people seem to love it, or at least claim to. I wish I could say the same, I was so disappointed by this.

Reactions: Queen6 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Played more this evening, took a body to be cremated up in the mountains, before it blows up, hehe. Anyhow I have one big critique, this game at many points won't let you quit not even offering the obligatory "progress lost" message. I kind of got pissed off when it was 20 min later and I was still trying to quit. I ended up using the Task manager to kill the game. Now this was at the start of Chapter 2...Not like I was in the middle of something. They definitely need more manual save points. It should not be that hard to incorporate this feature.

Of note on this mission I found a lot of player left items like ropes and bridges. The one item I saw to pick up, I think it's a crystal, but kind of looks like a hand. I was advised I did not have the right tool. Was there a place where I could have picked this tool up? So how do players at this point able to build these items? Did they come back here later and build them for brownie points? Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Played more this evening, took a body to be cremated up in the mountains, before it blows up, hehe. Anyhow I have one big critique, this game at many points won't let you quit not even offering the obligatory "progress lost" message. I kind of got pissed off when it was 20 min later and I was still trying to quit. I ended up using the Task manager to kill the game. Now this was at the start of Chapter 2...Not like I was in the middle of something. They definitely need more manual save points. It should not be that hard to incorporate this feature.

Of note on this mission I found a lot of player left items like ropes and bridges. The one item I saw to pick up, I think it's a crystal, but kind of looks like a hand. I was advised I did not have the right tool. Was there a place where I could have picked this tool up? So how do players at this point able to build these items? Did they come back here later and build them for brownie points? Thanks. :)
It should quit, mine does via esc key and System option, with the options to return to the starting screen or quit to Windows displayed. You can save/load manually in game as well via the Cufflinks. Once in the map, hit A and scroll down to system where you will find the save/load options. I also believe if you rest Sam, the game will perform a quick save, not 100% on this one. Game seems fairly generous with saves having 23 slots each for auto, manual & quick saves. So far autosave and checkpoints have been good enough.

The tool for the crystal will come your way soon enough, safe to say you wont miss it as it's linked into the main storyline.

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
There really isn’t much else to it. If you’ve played a couple of hours already, the only things you’ve got left to see, gameplay-wise, are better equipment and some vehicles to speed up the drudgery. A lot of the interesting stuff happens in cutscenes.

Regarding strategy, I don’t think what you leave has much long-term effect. Obviously more players will use it if you’ve placed something useful on a well-trodden route, but all those ‘likes’ you get are not critically important. Dropping signs near the entrance to your base, or ladders over the nearest river, seems to be effective.

I’m not sure how the game chooses which player items to drop into your game, though. It’s an unusual system, but after a while you realise that it doesn’t matter if there’s a bridge or a ladder exactly here, a warning sign exactly there. The whole landscape is littered with stuff.

I don’t think it’s a good thing that the game is improved by anonymous players creating shortcuts for you. It can be a great relief when you find a ladder just where you need it, but that’s only because the traversal mechanic is so repetitive and unpleasant to play.

Anyway, some people seem to love it, or at least claim to. I wish I could say the same, I was so disappointed by this.
Certainly a very unusual game :) Not sure about the sharing aspect, although I get it and the dev's intention it can also clutter up the game and at times seemingly random placements like a bridge in the middle of a wood for no apparent reason. Guessing the other player was just experimenting.

If I do like Death Stranding enough to play it again, think that I will turn off the online content. Still very early days I did play into episode 3 then decided to start over as felt I'd missed things or at least not paid enough attention. Just catching back up to episode 3 again.

Q-6

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Certainly a very unusual game :) Not sure about the sharing aspect, although I get it and the dev's intention it can also clutter up the game and at times seemingly random placements like a bridge in the middle of a wood for no apparent reason. Guessing the other player was just experimenting.
As far as I can tell, the idea is that random bridges in the woods won't be liked very often so they'll vanish faster than things like a bunch of ladders that help people cut out a long and tedious section of climbing. Use it or lose it.

The frustrating thing for me is that much of Death Stranding is like the extras you used to get in Metal Gear Solid games. You know, like switching to joypad port 2 to stop Psycho Mantis reading your inputs, or holding up a guard and pulling out a really huge weapon so he wets himself with fear.

They have all this crazy imaginative stuff that the developers must have had a blast brainstorming, but they stripped out inflitrating bases and outwitting guards, and replaced it with walking and balancing in an empty landscape. If only Kojima still made Metal Gear games...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It should quit, mine does via esc key and System option, with the options to return to the starting screen or quit to Windows displayed. You can save/load manually in game as well via the Cufflinks. Once in the map, hit A and scroll down to system where you will find the save/load options. I also believe if you rest Sam, the game will perform a quick save, not 100% on this one. Game seems fairly generous with saves having 23 slots each for auto, manual & quick saves. So far autosave and checkpoints have been good enough.

The tool for the crystal will come your way soon enough, safe to say you wont miss it as it's linked into the main storyline.

Q-6
Is A for console controller? If so I’m using keyboard mouse, was hitting escape, and continuously getting 2 choices continue, skip. I remember seeing save via escape/system and thought great, manual saves. As I recall, this was before I got the cuff link During the prolog.

After I got back from the mountain incinerator (chap 1), I was sitting in my room and there were options to use the sink, use the shower, and even here with nothing going on, when I hit escape, the game still only offered continue, skip. It’s possible I suddenly got stupid, but this is when I finally called bs and resorted to using the task manager to kill the game.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As far as I can tell, the idea is that random bridges in the woods won't be liked very often so they'll vanish faster than things like a bunch of ladders that help people cut out a long and tedious section of climbing. Use it or lose it.

The frustrating thing for me is that much of Death Stranding is like the extras you used to get in Metal Gear Solid games. You know, like switching to joypad port 2 to stop Psycho Mantis reading your inputs, or holding up a guard and pulling out a really huge weapon so he wets himself with fear.

They have all this crazy imaginative stuff that the developers must have had a blast brainstorming, but they stripped out inflitrating bases and outwitting guards, and replaced it with walking and balancing in an empty landscape. If only Kojima still made Metal Gear games...
I’m not yet over the wonder of the game environment, but if every single mission is simply walking though a pretty landscape, picking up things, with minimal fighting, @Queen6 said there was fighting :), I can understand the critique of the game becoming boring.

Now don’t take this as me being sour on the game already, but if compared to Cyberpunk 2077, there there was fast paced tactical, combat, stellar social animation with AI characters followimg the main and significant quests, an amazing city simulation and a worthy plot. In comparison, for DS, I’m still just starting chapter 2, but if making important deliveries of supplies, mostly walking at 5 mph grunting through a marvelous landscape, and seeing some impressive sights is the gist of it, there better be one heck of a plot to keep the player engaged. :D

Queen6

macrumors G4
Is A for console controller? If so I’m using keyboard mouse, was hitting escape, and continuously getting 2 choices continue, skip. I remember seeing save via escape/system and thought great, manual saves. As I recall, this was before I got the cuff link During the prolog.

After I got back from the mountain incinerator (chap 1), I was sitting in my room and there were options to use the sink, use the shower, and even here with nothing going on, when I hit escape, the game still only offered continue, skip. It’s possible I suddenly got stupid, but this is when I finally called bs and resorted to using the task manager to kill the game.
KB & Mouse :) cant get to a safe house right now, but even so you'd at most just need to exit the room, then esc out of the game to load screen or Windows.

In game:
Tab for Cufflinks (map etc.) and it's there A for open menu
1623163552354.png

Scroll down to System
1623163693528.png

Playing on PC, Epic version...

Have to say your not alone took me an age to realise that alt is for holding breath. I think that Death Stranding throws so much at the player although not extremely complex it's easy to miss things. One of the reasons I restarted the game as had questions on how things work in the game world.

I do think that there's more to the game than just walking about, equally I'm not sure it could have been done in a more complex manner LOL.

Q-6

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I’m not yet over the wonder of the game environment, but if every single mission is simply walking though a pretty landscape, picking up things, with minimal fighting, @Queen6 said there was fighting :), I can understand the critique of the game becoming boring.
There's very little fighting, and it's risky enough that you'll probably want to avoid it completely. You can throw poo grenades (yup!) at the BTs and knock out or tie up the human enemies. If you can't help but kill one, you'll have to haul his body to the crematorium.

It's not just walking through a pretty landscape. Sometimes you get to drive through a pretty landscape for a while.

Also - playing on a mouse and keyboard is madness! This is totally designed for a console controller.

• Haha

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
KB & Mouse :) cant get to a safe house right now, but even so you'd at most just need to exit the room, then esc out of the game to load screen or Windows.

In game:
Tab for Cufflinks (map etc.) and it's there A for open menu
View attachment 1789349
Scroll down to System
View attachment 1789350
Playing on PC, Epic version...

Have to say your not alone took me an age to realise that alt is for holding breath. I think that Death Stranding throws so much at the player although not extremely complex it's easy to miss things. One of the reasons I restarted the game as had questions on how things work in the game world.

I do think that there's more to the game than just walking about, equally I'm not sure it could have been done in a more complex manner LOL.

Q-6
Ok, thanks, I did see that A, but that was for times other than when my only two choices were continue, skip, which seems to happen often. ?

Up at that incinerator there was an event, and I was scrambling between holdin my breath, and mashing v trying to shake off the ooze. There is a feeling I had before that when BTs are around, that you are supposed to remain still and silent, and if they get a whiff of you, your dead. But that incident showed that furiously mashing buttons to get away, I think that is the game being kind, because by previous logic thrashing is not the way to avoid notice. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's very little fighting, and it's risky enough that you'll probably want to avoid it completely. You can throw poo grenades (yup!) at the BTs and knock out or tie up the human enemies. If you can't help but kill one, you'll have to haul his body to the crematorium.

It's not just walking through a pretty landscape. Sometimes you get to drive through a pretty landscape for a while.

Also - playing on a mouse and keyboard is madness! This is totally designed for a console controller.
So far I’ve not lost my mind, just needed to adjust my key bindings. ;) In the key settings under keyboard mouse, there is a choice to press key to walk, or press key to toggle walk (when using W to move forward), Naturally I choose to toggle so I don’t have to hold a button I don’t have to. I do wish there was an auto walk key, that would move you forward without holding W. I assume with the controller it is joystick forward.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4

Definitely agree is a shame he's out of MGS, as doubt it will be the same without him. Yeah Death Stranding is a game of significant detail in world revolving around rather singular tasks; delivering & connecting.

I knew that the game was very divisive, hence why I waited for a hefty discount. So far I like it for what it is, another 30/40 hours who knows LOL.

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Ok, thanks, I did see that A, but that was for times other than when my only two choices were continue, skip, which seems to happen often. ?

Up at that incinerator there was an event, and I was scrambling between holdin my breath, and mashing v trying to shake off the ooze. There is a feeling I had before that when BTs are around, that you are supposed to remain still and silent, and if they get a whiff of you, your dead. But that incident showed that furiously mashing buttons to get away, I think that is the game being kind, because by previous logic thrashing is not the way to avoid notice. :)
You can get past the BT's with stealth, but needs a little patience and deliberation.

In the safe rooms you can't save, need to leave then the game should auto save or if you adjust any gear save manually.

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
So far so good, just mostly following the story related missions/orders, odd side mission/order if they follow the route. Had a few decent moments with stealth today, good deal of new places and some very atmospheric locations. None being terribly difficult on the normal level, just need a little patience and an eye for a route to pass the BT's. Not fond of the road building, gets you from A to B a lot faster, but you also miss a lot in the process.

Combat with BT's is OK, humans not so much. The game doesn't punish for engaging in direct combat, however it certainly doesn't encourage with the way it's set up and executed. Even under time sensitive missions it's frequently easier to outflank or outrun enemies.

Still of the same opinion that Death Stranding a decent game, however not for all and best picked up on a good discount as it is rather unusual to play. Replay value still need to see, completionism isn't for me as too much of the same (like many others), likely worth a playthrough offline which will make it more the individuals game not the shared experience.

Stopped at Episode 4...

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Once you get past Episodes 1 & 2 game starts to take off :) E3 had some epic moments of stealth for me, E4 is short but sweet and very much relivable ;) E5 did some crazy stuff, because I could do and the game allows the player to do so ? Have worked out a good tactic with the Mules, irrespective of numbers. Terrorist's yet to figure them out other than to avoid.

Starting to think that although the game is a very simplistic in it's premise of "delivery" the real fun is the individuals personal execution. Have to say the game really rewards for thinking outside of the box which fast becomes great fun.

Don't want to spoil E5; hard time limit, fair distance, no roads, variable weather, multiple threats. I opted for a solution far less conventional or expected. The game allowed, I got through with some difficulty, however nowhere near as much as one would expect. It was a push, yet worked out so well and above everything else fun as you really feel involved :)

It's clearly all programmed that way, equally if you don't take chances, just follow the obvious, you may miss out on a lot of fun.

Q-6

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Added to post 1:
  • Crossing Rivers- It's especially helpful to use your scanner (Q) to look for blue/yellow areas to cross. You'll lose your footing in red areas.
  • Saving Content- There appears to be no game saves in-base. You have to step outside the base, or save your game just before entering the base to get a save in before you quit for a play session.
  • Death Strandings- is the titular series of supernatural events in the world of the eponymous game. Beginning with simultaneous explosions around the world, the Death Stranding resulted in the world of the dead and living becoming connected, with drastic consequences for human society and the ecosystem. https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/Death_Stranding_(phenomenon)

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Done and dusted finished Death Stranding. A long game, when you read of 150 hours to fully complete it's not an exaggeration by any means. Took me 57 hours to play out the story. I did do a number of side quests, equally barely scratching the surface of what's on offer let alone collectables...

Would I play again? TBH don't know, think would be more enjoyable on a second playthrough at a far more leisurely pace. I can see the attraction of just playing 30-40 minutes here and there, making a few deliveries and exploring the games mechanics to a deeper level. Generally playing with no goal in sight, that said not so soon LOL...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.