Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
death-stranding-mountains.jpg

Holy Crap. Just started this for PC after buying it on sale at Steam for $20, 1/3 the asking price. This game is pretty amazing visually, in fact nothing I've ever seen looks like this, with the graphics fidelity.

Plot wise, yes it appears that you are the UPS man, spending the game mostly making deliveries, but so far I'm ok with that. There are many cinematic moments. I don't know for sure, but doubt there is any replay value, but maybe there is, and maybe it's not that important. I'll make another report and probably look over this thread that's been in the Consol Game forum since 2019.

For Mac? At a place called MacGamesWorld, I saw this game advertised for download on Mac. As far as I can tell, it was never released for Mac.

Started in 2019 in Consol Game section:

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Death Stranding is clearly not a game for everyone by any means, it's more like a living Sci-Fi novel. The game draws you deeply into a very surreal & disturbing world that even at times breaks the "4th wall"...

Maybe as I've lived in Asia for a long time I get Kojima's intention & humour more, I don't know. Nor am I the only one to state that the game is mentally taxing. Yes Death Stranding has it's complexities in operation & control, however that's not driving factor. The game very much promotes the player to think deeply on multiple subjects. I've rebooted the game a couple of times and may do again.

TBH I'm not entirely sure that Death Stranding should be classified as simply a computer game as it clearly shatters boundaries. I think that's why many don't get it when Kojima said that Death Stranding is a new genre. Critics/People are thinking too small Death Standing isn't trying to be a new genre of game, "Stranding" is a new genre...

Technically Death Stranding runs like a dream :) I locked the FPS to 72 (half res) it maintains 60-72 with ease on low power setting (big notebook). Heavy on CPU mind (V-Fast hex core here), lot going on in this game world with the game updating all in real time once in play.

Overall I think Death Stranding is by far Hideo Kojima's finest work to date. I thought that Guns of the Patriots was breakthrough, Death Stranding is entirely on a different level. It's weird, unusual, standout and far more than just a video game...

Q-6

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I got this with my limited edition PS4 Pro, the console and controller look really cool, the game sucked so I gave it away. Still got the console in my spare room as I have the PS5 in my main gaming room. .

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6 and Huntn

Queen6

macrumors G4
I got this with my limited edition PS4 Pro, the console and controller look really cool, the game sucked so I gave it away. Still got the console in my spare room as I have the PS5 in my main gaming room. .
Death Stranding is by nature extremely divisive, as the game is not trying to please all of the people, all of the time. Is more a statement, a passion project that wont appeal to all and that's perfectly OK :)

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Queen6 said:
Replay value exists as you can cut the online component which will not effect your chosen difficulty in combat/interactions however will make traversal of the game world far more challenging, needing to rely solely on your own efforts/means. This will be my chosen mode after completing the first run.

I rather expect this will require more thinking outside of the box to complete the game. I get the sharing component, equally as an individualist I also want to beat/win the game on my own terms :)

I don’t remember being asked about joining an online server. I wonder if the PC version is different in this regard from the consol version? In the game preferences I saw something about allowing or disallowing likes. I would not have even noticed it if I had not glanced at the game preferences. I disallowed them or turned them off, as in who is going to be liking my game anyway? ?

I only finished the prolog. I need to see if I am online or not and if it is important, might restart the game. There is nothing that happened up to this point that was difficult. The biggest decision I had to make was to cross the River or not, if there was a way to get there without crossing the River, heading to that building complex to complete the first delivery, wondering that action would result in character death, drowning. This game definietly needs a Quick and Dirty thread which I will start.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Death Stranding is by nature extremely divisive, as the game is not trying to please all of the people, all of the time. Is more a statement, a passion project that wont appeal to all and that's perfectly OK :)

Q-6
Just like the rest of his overrated games ?

Queen6

macrumors G4

I don’t remember being asked about joining an online server. I wonder if the PC version is different in this regard from the consol version? In the game preferences I saw something about allowing or disallowing likes. I would not have even noticed it if I had not glanced at the game preferences. I disallowed them or turned them off, as in who is going to be liking my game anyway? ?

I only finished the prolog. I need to see if I am online or not and if it is important, might restart the game. There is nothing that happened up to this point that was difficult. The biggest decision I had to make was to cross the River or not, if there was a way to get there without crossing the River, heading to that building complex to complete the first delivery, wondering that action would result in character death, drowning. This game definietly needs a Quick and Dirty thread which I will start.
Should be online by default and as you progress you will see items left by other players that can help with the traversal of the word. As for the rivers the scanner can indicate the depth of the water, if red your likely to be swept way.

Q-6

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I really enjoyed Death Stranding. It's an almost meditative experience and it's very well made. Everything has weight and character animations are superb.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Once you get past Episodes 1 & 2 game starts to take off :) E3 had some epic moments of stealth for me, E4 is short but sweet and very much relivable ;) E5 did some crazy stuff, because I could do and the game allows the player to do so ? Have worked out a good tactic with the Mules, irrespective of numbers. Terrorist's yet to figure them out other than to avoid.

Starting to think that although the game is a very simplistic in it's premise of "delivery" the real fun is the individuals personal execution. Have to say the game really rewards for thinking outside of the box which fast becomes great fun.

Don't want to spoil E5; hard time limit, fair distance, no roads, variable weather, multiple threats. I opted for a solution far less conventional or expected. The game allowed, I got through with some difficulty, however nowhere near as much as one would expect. It was a push, yet worked out so well and above everything else fun as you really feel involved :)

It's clearly all programmed that way, equally if you don't take chances, just follow the obvious, you may miss out on a lot of fun.

Q-6

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Once you get past Episodes 1 & 2 game starts to take off :) E3 had some epic moments of stealth for me, E4 is short but sweet and very much relivable ;) E5 did some crazy stuff, because I could do and the game allows the player to do so ? Have worked out a good tactic with the Mules, irrespective of numbers. Terrorist's yet to figure them out other than to avoid.

Starting to think that although the game is a very simplistic in it's premise of "delivery" the real fun is the individuals personal execution. Have to say the game really rewards for thinking outside of the box which fast becomes great fun.

Don't want to spoil E5; hard time limit, fair distance, no roads, variable weather, multiple threats. I opted for a solution far less conventional or expected. The game allowed, I got through with some difficulty, however nowhere near as much as one would expect. It was a push, yet worked out so well and above everything else fun as you really feel involved :)

It's clearly all programmed that way, equally if you don't take chances, just follow the obvious, you may miss out on a lot of fun.

Q-6
I had some outlaws (mules?) after me in the second part of Episode 2 but got away from them. What happens if they catch you?

Then I got upended in the river and lost some of my mission supplies, and fortunately with a tactical save will repeat the river crossing. The mission would not complete, I suppose if you don’t bring all the required supplies, they make you go all the way back, and you get a lower score?

It's been my experience so far, is that there is no way to avoid BTs on the second part of Episode 2, going to the second facility. BTs pop up, I hold my breath for as long as I can, until I run out of breath, and they find me, and I end up repatriating myself. Unless you avoid the entire area, which I don't know if you can, it seems fixed.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
I had some outlaws (mules?) after me in the second part of Episode 2 but got away from them. What happens if they catch you?

Then I got upended in the river and lost some of my mission supplies, and fortunately with a tactical save will repeat the river crossing. The mission would not complete, I suppose if you don’t bring all the required supplies, they make you go all the way back, and you get a lower score?

It's been my experience so far, is that there is no way to avoid BTs on the second part of Episode 2, going to the second facility. BTs pop up, I hold my breath for as long as I can, until I run out of breath, and they find me, and I end up repatriating myself. Unless you avoid the entire area, which I don't know if you can, it seems fixed.
Mules will knock you out stone cold, steal all your gear then dump you outside of their zone. I guess the expectation is you'll then look to raid the Mules base and get your gear get back. There's missions that will put you in direct conflict with the Mules, so best to work out a good strategy to deal with them sooner rather than later.

Rivers use the scanner to evaluate the depth; blue safe, yellow risk, red avoid. I also on foot I cross as one would do naturally in real life; upstream to downstream which can help avoiding tumble's, also brace with both L&R mouse buttons down :)

BT's are definitely avoidable, difficult to explain almost like there a rhythm to it or you can just bypass their area. Took a few shots to get the feel for it. Even the first encounter at the crematorium you can avoid the BT's with careful movement (crouch and hold breath as needed). In E3 you have to retrieve goods several times in heavy BT territory. I really enjoyed the stealth and the challenge of these missions, if you do get grabbed and pulled away just walk away from the "Catcher" as fast a possible and you should avoid being repatriated. Later you'll have the tools to take on the BT's.

To me Death Stranding rewards the player for taking the risk and diverging from conventional expectations, wish I'd captured some screen shots :p Given is just a game and you can manually save why not try something different that on face value appears implausible...

Q-6

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Mules will knock you out stone cold, steal all your gear then dump you outside of their zone. I guess the expectation is you'll then look to raid the Mules base and get your gear get back. There's missions that will put you in direct conflict with the Mules, so best to work out a good strategy to deal with them sooner rather than later.

Rivers use the scanner to evaluate the depth; blue safe, yellow risk, red avoid. I also on foot I cross as one would do naturally in real life; upstream to downstream which can help avoiding tumble's, also brace with both L&R mouse buttons down :)

BT's are definitely avoidable, difficult to explain almost like there a rhythm to it or you can just bypass their area. Took a few shots to get the feel for it. Even the first encounter at the crematorium you can avoid the BT's with careful movement (crouch and hold breath as needed). In E3 you have to retrieve goods several times in heavy BT territory. I really enjoyed the stealth and the challenge of these missions, if you do get grabbed and pulled away just walk away from the "Catcher" as fast a possible and you should avoid being repatriated. Later you'll have the tools to take on the BT's.

To me Death Stranding rewards the player for taking the risk and diverging from conventional expectations, wish I'd captured some screen shots :p Given is just a game and you can manually save why not try something different that on face value appears implausible...

Q-6
I forgot to crouch and I ran out of breath. :)

Queen6

macrumors G4
I forgot to crouch and I ran out of breath. :)
Crouching while on foot is a must to pass BT's :) You can blast through with fast vehicle, but you still need to read their patterns carefully, TBH sometimes it's just simpler to circumnavigate the BT area's once you know where they are established.

Same applies to Mules & Terrorists; you can more directly cut through their area, however not without risk as they can temporally disable your vehicle. If so you either abandon and run for it or hold them off until the vehicle is usable, easily all can happen quickly.

No play today so still at early episode 5 - Getting ready to go to Mountain Knot City.

Q-6

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Crouching while on foot is a must to pass BT's :) You can blast through with fast vehicle, but you still need to read their patterns carefully, TBH sometimes it's just simpler to circumnavigate the BT area's once you know where they are established.

Same applies to Mules & Terrorists; you can more directly cut through their area, however not without risk as they can temporally disable your vehicle. If so you either abandon and run for it or hold them off until the vehicle is usable, easily all can happen quickly.

No play today so still at early episode 5 - Getting ready to go to Mountain Knot City.

Q-6
That’s what I did with the MULE area on Episide 2. At first I did not understand the orange icons on the map, then I got pinged, and headed away from that area. Actually thought those were BTs at first.

For anyone following this discussion, the game still feels unique to me, and I’m still playing, but it feels off, the routine is not good, after a mission, recharge in your room, talk to projections, go back out and do it again, trek/navigate across country, avoid MULES, try to avoid BTs, try not to lose your supplies in the River, etc. Honestly I can’t project how long this will hold my interest.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
That’s what I did with the MULE area on Episide 2. At first I did not understand the orange icons on the map, then I got pinged, and headed away from that area. Actually thought those were BTs at first.

For anyone following this discussion, the game still feels unique to me, and I’m still playing, but it feels off, the routine is not good, after a mission, recharge in your room, talk to projections, go back out and do it again, trek/navigate across country, avoid MULES, try to avoid BTs, try not to lose your supplies in the River, etc. Honestly I can’t project how long this will hold my interest.
Just got to E7, big slog through the mountains on E6 and still need to finish up one of Sam's missions from that episode. Skipping much of the non story side missions for the same reasons; too much of the same with too little variation or payoff. As I've said feels like the control of the game; menu's inventory management was deliberately made convoluted to stretch the game or add more content/gameplay into it.

Lot's of oddity; need to dismount a vehicle if you want to save? Have to run in and out of multiple menus that are effectively the same just manage cargo? You also have to be very careful of the games lore as some have found themselves in game ending loops as the target action was unclear and they subsequently found that they had no save game allowing adequate time to find and action the task, guy's with around 40 hours in the game. Far as I know just need to restart, no fun.

Death Stranding is genuinely interesting and different, being both compelling and tedious at times. Basically a 40/150 hour fetch quest in a somewhat surreal Sci-Fi setting, where the story is dripped fed via cut scenes. Death Stranding is time absorbing, my 1st playthrough and at around the hallway point I've already passed 40 hours (says the game stats). Everything does have a point in the game and carries weight, mostly it's just about progression of; story, orders/deliveries and connection both the in game network and the online attributes.

Huntn: There's some interesting action interludes ahead of you that are very far from what you've seen so far and the story expands ever more. So far so good am OK to progress with the game, however at times it rather feels like one is stitching the cut scenes together via the actual gameplay as that's where the bulk of the story is revealed. TBH if put this one down for a while it would be difficult to get back into and after 40 hours, not real keen on restarting the game without very good reason.

Anyone considering Death Stranding I recommend that you have some idea of what it's about in advance and a good discount as it might just not be for you. I got it on a 85% discount and knew something of the game. Technically it's superb, runs beautifully, however Death Stranding is very much it's own thing. As for being a new genre, just NO it's fetch quest with minor interludes of action simple as that, with a very high gloss Hideo Kojima finish, which isn't a bad thing in itself...

Q-6

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just got to E7, big slog through the mountains on E6 and still need to finish up one of Sam's missions from that episode. Skipping much of the non story side missions for the same reasons; too much of the same with too little variation or payoff. As I've said feels like the control of the game; menu's inventory management was deliberately made convoluted to stretch the game or add more content/gameplay into it.

Lot's of oddity; need to dismount a vehicle if you want to save? Have to run in and out of multiple menus that are effectively the same just manage cargo? You also have to be very careful of the games lore as some have found themselves in game ending loops as the target action was unclear and they subsequently found that they had no save game allowing adequate time to find and action the task, guy's with around 40 hours in the game. Far as I know just need to restart, no fun.

Death Stranding is genuinely interesting and different, being both compelling and tedious at times. Basically a 40/150 hour fetch quest in a somewhat surreal Sci-Fi setting, where the story is dripped fed via cut scenes. Death Stranding is time absorbing, my 1st playthrough and at around the hallway point I've already passed 40 hours (says the game stats). Everything does have a point in the game and carries weight, mostly it's just about progression of; story, orders/deliveries and connection both the in game network and the online attributes.

Huntn: There's some interesting action interludes ahead of you that are very far from what you've seen so far and the story expands ever more. So far so good am OK to progress with the game, however at times it rather feels like one is stitching the cut scenes together via the actual gameplay as that's where the bulk of the story is revealed. TBH if put this one down for a while it would be difficult to get back into and after 40 hours, not real keen on restarting the game without very good reason.

Anyone considering Death Stranding I recommend that you have some idea of what it's about in advance and a good discount as it might just not be for you. I got it on a 85% discount and knew something of the game. Technically it's superb, runs beautifully, however Death Stranding is very much it's own thing. As for being a new genre, just NO it's fetch quest with minor interludes of action simple as that, with a very high gloss Hideo Kojima
finish, which isn't a bad thing in itself...

Q-6
Theses days unless I am real familiar, when I see $60 purchase price, I wait for a sale. Now Fallout 4, purchased immediately and never regretted it and paid full price for CP77 due to the hype. :)

Queen6

macrumors G4
Theses days unless I am real familiar, when I see $60 purchase price, I wait for a sale. Now Fallout 4, purchased immediately and never regretted it and paid full price for CP77 due to the hype. :)
Totally regret purchasing CP77 for my daughter and myself, waste of good money. We both have the same low opinion of the game. The gross misrepresentation by CDPR and we are clearly decades apart in age. CDPR sold out plain and simple, so those at the top could cash in, meanwhile;

Their words not mine...
CDPR produced Witcher 3, yet clearly not remotely the same calibre or direction that churned out CP77. No doubt many sunk tremendous effort & hours into the development only to be sold out for a quick holiday sale. Cyberpunk 2077 could have been something very special, a landmark in both board and digital gaming. The former is and remains to this day, the later a waste of time and money.

Speaks volumes...
1623538616311.png
1623538529396.png

Most anticipated game of the decade, turns out to be the most disappointing in many a year; buggy, shallow, weak, repetitive, on Death Stranding Levels. Deep Adult RPG, my ass even my 17 year old said it was juvenile garbage...

Read some posts where ex CDPR staff members stated that Witcher 3's success was unexpected, however CDPR decided not to share their financial benefit with the dev's. This lead to some departing the studio and may well explain why CP77 is the mess it is today and going nowhere fast...

Q-6

Last edited:
  • Sad

Queen6

macrumors G4
Done and dusted finished Death Stranding. A long game, when you read of 150 hours to fully complete it's not an exaggeration by any means. Took me 57 hours to play out the story. I did do a number of side quests, equally barely scratching the surface of what's on offer let alone collectables...

Would I play again? TBH don't know, think would be more enjoyable on a second playthrough at a far more leisurely pace. I can see the attraction of just playing 30-40 minutes here and there, making a few deliveries and exploring the games mechanics to a deeper level. Generally playing with no goal in sight, that said not so soon LOL...

Q-6

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Totally regret purchasing CP77 for my daughter and myself, waste of good money. We both have the same low opinion of the game. The gross misrepresentation by CDPR and we are clearly decades apart in age. CDPR sold out plain and simple, so those at the top could cash in, meanwhile;

Their words not mine...
CDPR produced Witcher 3, yet clearly not remotely the same calibre or direction that churned out CP77. No doubt many sunk tremendous effort & hours into the development only to be sold out for a quick holiday sale. Cyberpunk 2077 could have been something very special, a landmark in both board and digital gaming. The former is and remains to this day, the later a waste of time and money.

Speaks volumes...
View attachment 1792235 View attachment 1792234
Most anticipated game of the decade, turns out to be the most disappointing in many a year; buggy, shallow, weak, repetitive, on Death Stranding Levels. Deep Adult RPG, my ass even my 17 year old said it was juvenile garbage...

Read some posts where ex CDPR staff members stated that Witcher 3's success was unexpected, however CDPR decided not to share their financial benefit with the dev's. This lead to some departing the studio and may well explain why CP77 is the mess it is today and going nowhere fast...

Q-6
Wow, watched the first part of that video covering the hype of branching story lines (Cyberpunk 2077) where each play though is different and ask WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?? Lol. :D Where the Devs deliberately lying all along, or just got in over their heads and then they had to lie to cover all the short cuts they took. ?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Wow, watched the first part of that video covering the hype of branching story lines (Cyberpunk 2077) where each play though is different and ask WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?? Lol. :D Where the Devs deliberately lying all along, or just got in over their heads and then they had to lie to cover all the short cuts they took. ?
Don't Know, but now you know more why many are less than pleased by CDPR's actions. I don't go for much if any pre-release spoilers etc. however I don't expect such a difference in the game versus what was advertised. CDPR blatantly lied, plain and simple got caught red handed as Cyberpunk 2077 was a shambles on launch and a completely different game for many of us.

CDPR should have been far more upfront regarding the nature, gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077 and especially the poor performance on the last Gen consoles, but guess they decided big holiday season $ were more important than their customers.

If you watch all of Crowbcat's YT CDPR condemn themselves by their own words and actions far better than any commentator possibly could. CDPR obviously didn't set out to create such negativity, yet they handled the release very poorly and will likely never bring the game to what they alluded it was as the player base is collapsing month on month.

Q-6

• Sad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.