Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JKitterman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Look at getting, renting or borrowing fast lenses and see if that takes care of your problems. As inexpensive as the 50mm or 85mm are, you really should have a 1.8 or 1.4 by now. What is the focal length you are needing? Would a 24-70 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 take care of your current problems you think you have?

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I really appreciate all of your help so far, you've raised great points. I'm still pretty much on the fence though, every time I start to lean one way or the other I read another comment. Although I think I am starting to lean towards the 5D.

As for lenses I probably won't be selling any of mine any time soon because they have a good range covered from wide angle to telephoto. As for a 70-200 I'm not sure how much that would help, I've never used one before although I might be able to borrow one and find out.

I think what I'll end up doing is going and looking at each in person and then make choose. I have a feeling that it will come down to which one fits me better and not the specs since they are so close. It will probably be another month or so before I could actually go and get one but I'll let everyone know which one a end up getting.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I'm looking to upgrade cameras not just because the 10D is getting very old but it's starting to limit my photos. For example last week I was shooting a film festival inside a theatre and the only way to get the shutter speed low enough (on all of my lenses) was to turn the ISO up to at least 800 which is one step lower than the max.

just want to make sure you know that just because ISO 800 is one step below the max doesn't mean anything by itself. plenty of cameras perform well all the way up to the maximum native ISO.

As for upgrading to an older model I figure that since I plan on keeping it for a long time I may as well go for the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles like video.

there's something to be said about buying older bodies used and just upgrading a little more frequently to newer used bodies...but if you're set on a new one, there's nothing wrong with that.

As for lenses I probably won't be selling any of mine any time soon because they have a good range covered from wide angle to telephoto. As for a 70-200 I'm not sure how much that would help, I've never used one before although I might be able to borrow one and find out.

I'm not sure you quite understand the significance of lenses. all the 70-200s are constant f-stop (f/4 or f/2.8), whereas your 100-300 is variable f/4 to f/5.6, and they are much better optically - resolution, less distortion, less flare.... the 100-300 is also the weakness in your lens lineup, though I guess if you don't use it very often, it's not a big deal.

if you're set on not rearranging your lenses, you should probably switch to a 5D. but again, try one out first, because it's much less responsive than an APS-C camera, and some people have a problem with that.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
just want to make sure you know that just because ISO 800 is one step below the max doesn't mean anything by itself. plenty of cameras perform well all the way up to the maximum native ISO.

You're right, that doesn't mean anything. But at the max ISO the photos are almost unusable.

there's something to be said about buying older bodies used and just upgrading a little more frequently to newer used bodies...but if you're set on a new one, alright.

Yeah, there is something to that, and generally with electronics I do follow that. But even if I got an older body I'd probably keep it the same length of time, so I figure I might as well get something a bit nicer.

I'm not sure you quite understand the significance of lenses. all the 70-200s are constant f-stop (f/4 or f/2.8), whereas your 100-300 is variable f/4 to f/5.6, and they are much better optically - resolution, less distortion, less flare.... the 100-300 is also the weakness in your lens lineup, though I guess if you don't use it very often, it's not a big deal.

I'm not going to claim I know everything but I do know that a good lens if often more important than the body. But for the most part I'm not finding the lenses being the limiting factor. To make the shutter speed and f-stop good enough for low light I have to turn the ISO up all the way, which ruins the photo. I guess I can do some low light tests to confirm that though.

Plus with lenses I can borrow them from the photo department at my school so for the next four years I shouldn't need to to upgrade.

if you're set on not rearranging your lenses, you should probably switch to a 5D. but again, try one out first, because it's much less responsive than an APS-C camera, and some people have a problem with that.

What do you mean by less responsive? The menus are slower? It takes longer to save the pictures to the card? And if I do end up getting the 7D I might se the $1000 I'd save to replace one of my lenses and get a 70-200.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.

I'm not sure what you mean by less responsive. I have used the 30D, 40D, 5D, 5DII, 1Ds III and none was more or less responsive than another. The maximum shutter speed is different (7fps vs. 3fps) but the interface and camera mechanics aren't really that different.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
What do you mean by less responsive? The menus are slower? It takes longer to save the pictures to the card?

I mentioned this in an earlier post - fewer frames/second, longer viewfinder blackout, longer shutter lag, and I don't know about the 5DII, but the original was slightly slower in the menus than the 30D and there was a noticeable delay between displaying an image and being able to zoom in that didn't exist on the 30D.

And if I do end up getting the 7D I might se the $1000 I'd save to replace one of my lenses and get a 70-200.

while you're considering lenses, look at the Tokina 50-135 f/2.8. stellar lens at a better focal length range at a good price. AF is just slower than the Canon 70-200s.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I love everything about EOS 7D except for the APS-C image sensor. Then again, I am more of a wide angle person. So I will be waiting for EOS 5D Mark III instead, which may not show up until mid-2011, but I am hoping it would be sooner than that (considering it is technologically behind cheaper 7D in many respect).

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I mentioned this in an earlier post - fewer frames/second, longer viewfinder blackout, longer shutter lag, and I don't know about the 5DII, but the original was slightly slower in the menus than the 30D and there was a noticeable delay between displaying an image and being able to zoom in that didn't exist on the 30D.

while you're considering lenses, look at the Tokina 50-135 f/2.8. stellar lens at a better focal length range at a good price. AF is just slower than the Canon 70-200s.

Ok, I can deal with that, and I can't see the 5D being slower than my 10D, which takes a long time to do everything. And I'll just have to test it out to see if it is too slow for me.

And that does look like a pretty good lens. Plus it's a lot less expensive than the Canon lenses. Thanks for the tip.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I came from a 20D to the 5DII, and it's a much faster camera all around. I bought an 8GB Lexar 300x card and it'll dump about 1 RAW/second, as compared to about 3 seconds for my old Sandisk Ultra II. (About 30MB/file). The 300x can read/write at 45MB/s so I snap the picture and by the time I've lowered the camera and hit the play button on the way down the image is there.

The menu's seem just fine; also there is a programmable 'My Menu' that lets you put shortcuts to all the features you use most.

Go with the 5DII, the 7D has some extra bells and whistles that I'm envious of, but wouldn't really have utilized all that much. The 5DII trumps on IQ, ISO, Lens performance.....

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
I came from a 20D to the 5DII, and it's a much faster camera all around. I bought an 8GB Lexar 300x card and it'll dump about 1 RAW/second, as compared to about 3 seconds for my old Sandisk Ultra II. (About 30MB/file). The 300x can read/write at 45MB/s so I snap the picture and by the time I've lowered the camera and hit the play button on the way down the image is there.

The menu's seem just fine; also there is a programmable 'My Menu' that lets you put shortcuts to all the features you use most.

Go with the 5DII, the 7D has some extra bells and whistles that I'm envious of, but wouldn't really have utilized all that much. The 5DII trumps on IQ, ISO, Lens performance.....

Do you have any issues with dust in the viewfinder with the 5DII? I just bought one (after I bought and took back a 7d) and the pics are amazing, but their are a couple specs of dust on the viewfinder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.