Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skyblazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2023
Per your needs/desires, a Studio Max is great, but as long as you are building such a box do not skimp on RAM to less than 64 GB. Personally I am very curious to see what M3 Studio Max looks like (is something additional happening that we have not seen in the M3 MBP Max?). Frankly IMO if you buy an M2 Studio Max with enough RAM I doubt that you would ever want M3 unless you get into some app like Maya that needs ray tracing.

Any Ultra is inappropriate, simply doubling what is already performance overkill.

I suggest that you consider jumping into the upcoming Apple Vision Pro before you go buying additional pricey displays. You just might love it.
Allen, thanks for these ideas. What you said about 64GB is "educational" for me. I'll remember. Re Vision Pro. As a kid, Dick Tracy had a watch he could speak to other ons. That was like out-of-this-world "star wars". Vision Pro is my adult Dick Tracy watch. Can't begin to comprehend it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Just discovered the Mac Mini M2 Pro is not available on the 10% discount Apple veterans site. only 8-CPU, 10-GPU, 16 Neural, 24GB, 512 for $719.
The recommended Mini M2 Pro 10-CPU, 16 GPU, 16 Neural, 32GB, 512 retail is $1699 and not available at Vets discount site."

Where did you get this idea?
Seems to me that anything available in the Apple refurb store (non-veterans discount) will also be available after you sign in with the veteran's discount. It was that way when I looked there.

What's "available" at the Apple refurb store can change daily.
You may need to check back a few days in a row.

Coming from a 2014 iMac, an m2pro Mini (any CPU version) would probably do you fine. Just get enough RAM (at least 16gb) and the right sized SSD.

Skyblazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2023
1. Thank you for your service. It may have been generations ago, but your contribution is not forgotten.

2. Based on your cash flow and wants / needs, your decision is not based on value, but on the value you place on waiting. You can get a nice machine now or wait a year and get something faster.

3. Regarding technology, the advice is always to wait as long as one is able, as technology is constantly getting better. Regarding resale value, the question is when. From the date of introduction to five years out, both the M2 and the M3 will likely lose similar value percentage over time. Considering that the M2 Studio is less than a year since introduction, you haven’t lost much time, or value, if you buy now.

4. At 88, do you think your computer needs will change over the next five years? If so, it may be worth getting the machine you want now.

Again, thank you for your service to this country and I wish you the best in your decision making.
MacProFCP, thank you for your kind and generous words. Truth is, getting the gov to pay you to play with a $100 million jet fighter toy is the all-time great scam. Started at $300 a month. Job; deliver a nuke 5-times as powerful at Hiroshima all by myself in a single seat F-100. After 10-years, pay was $995 a month to dodge SAMs and MiGs over N.Vietnam. It's a helluva deal if you can get in on it.

Sister turns 100 next month. Other sister turn 98 in January. Point: I may have two more computer purchases ahead of me.

A nearby craigslist offers a new-sealed M2 Ultra for $3600. Has receipt from Costco June purchase. Same price at Vets program, but I would pay no 8% sales tax. If he gets down to $3,000, I may roll the dice.

• Love
Reactions: loby and picpicmac

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
MacProFCP, thank you for your kind and generous words. Truth is, getting the gov to pay you to play with a $100 million jet fighter toy is the all-time great scam. Started at $300 a month. Job; deliver a nuke 5-times as powerful at Hiroshima all by myself in a single seat F-100. After 10-years, pay was $995 a month to dodge SAMs and MiGs over N.Vietnam. It's a helluva deal if you can get in on it.

Sister turns 100 next month. Other sister turn 98 in January. Point: I may have two more computer purchases ahead of me.

A nearby craigslist offers a new-sealed M2 Ultra for $3600. Has receipt from Costco June purchase. Same price at Vets program, but I would pay no 8% sales tax. If he gets down to $3,000, I may roll the dice.

I hope you get many more computer purchases in your life. If you’re going for Craigslist, don’t get scammed. Pick it up in person and bring a friend with you.

I do many things and one of them is flying airplanes(commercial multi).

I could never be a fighter jock but I’m happy there are people out there like you who are willing to protect freedom.

• Love
Reactions: loby

Skyblazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2023
OP wrote:
"Just discovered the Mac Mini M2 Pro is not available on the 10% discount Apple veterans site. only 8-CPU, 10-GPU, 16 Neural, 24GB, 512 for $719.
The recommended Mini M2 Pro 10-CPU, 16 GPU, 16 Neural, 32GB, 512 retail is $1699 and not available at Vets discount site."

Where did you get this idea?
Seems to me that anything available in the Apple refurb store (non-veterans discount) will also be available after you sign in with the veteran's discount. It was that way when I looked there.

What's "available" at the Apple refurb store can change daily.
You may need to check back a few days in a row.

Coming from a 2014 iMac, an m2pro Mini (any CPU version) would probably do you fine. Just get enough RAM (at least 16gb) and the right sized SSD.
Fishrrman, I'll go back and check the Apple Vets Discount site and look for refurbished. Hadn't noticed it before. Thanks.
I hope you get many more computer purchases in your life. If you’re going for Craigslist, don’t get scammed. Pick it up in person and bring a friend with you.

I do many things and one of them is flying airplanes(commercial multi).

I could never be a fighter jock but I’m happy there are people out there like you who are willing to protect freedom.
Embarrassing to admit; I got scammed Christmas eve purchasing a brand new in the box Apple Ultra watch. It was a fake. He knew I was a Vet. He was all charm, called me Boss, like prisoners addressing guards.

I was a TWA pilot hired Jan 1966. Went from Mach2 F-105 to copilot on a Constellation. B-727, B-707, L-1011, Lockheed Jetstar and Learjet rating.

• Love

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Fishrrman, I'll go back and check the Apple Vets Discount site and look for refurbished. Hadn't noticed it before. Thanks.

Embarrassing to admit; I got scammed Christmas eve purchasing a brand new in the box Apple Ultra watch. It was a fake. He knew I was a Vet. He was all charm, called me Boss, like prisoners addressing guards.

I was a TWA pilot hired Jan 1966. Went from Mach2 F-105 to copilot on a Constellation. B-727, B-707, L-1011, Lockheed Jetstar and Learjet rating.
Quite the career.

I wish. I can’t afford the pay cut to go from my current position to FO.

Skyblazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2023
PULLED THE TRIGGER----HERE'S THE DEAL
Mac Studio M2 Ultra, Apple Vets site, refurbished
24-CPU, 60-GPU, 32 Neural, 64GB memory, 1TB
$3,059 or $3296 with CA tax
Pickup at local Apple Store Wednesday. (Advantage; they data transfer)
Have until Jan 08, 2024 TO RETURN if I can't figure out how to operate the thing.

For comparison if buying a new Mac Studio at Vet prices; New M2 Max, $1799, $360 64GB mem, $180 1TB
$2339 or $2520 with tax

So, apples to apple memory, I'm paying $776 more for a refurb ULTRA instead of a new M2 Max

For another $100 2 x TB3 to TB2 cables will enable connection to 2 old 27" TB displays, if "no joy", I get 2 new 27" displays.

This is pretty much like buying a $460,000 Ferrari GTB to shop cheap clothes at Costco.

I WELCOME IN ANY AND ALL OPINIONS ABOUT THIS PURCHASE
USING WORDS LIKE STUPID IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE
I HAVE UNTIL JAN 08 TO RETURN AND ALL IS FORGIVEN
ALL OF YOUR ASSISTANCE TODAY PREPARED ME TO GRAB THE REFUB ULTRA
THE ONLY LOSERS ON THIS DEAL; GRANDDAUGHTERS REDUCED INHERITANCE

I'm blown away by the expertise and generosity of this forum for giving great insight and sharing their knowledge and experience. MANY, MANY, THANKS

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

Other than the resale value Studio Ultra is of zero value add to you (or me) over a Studio Max; just added cost and added complexity in the chip electronics. You or I would benefit more from more RAM in an M2 than from a Max Ultra. What is the RAM in the CraigsList M2 Studio Ultra deal?

Beefed up to the same 64 GB RAM as a base Studio Ultra, the M2 Studio Max is $2800 full retail. I would put the same 96 GB RAM in an M2 Studio Max that I put in the M2 MBP, making the M2 Studio Max $3200 before your vet discount. IMO a 96 GB RAM M2 Studio Max will be of more value to many users than a 64 GB RAM M2 Studio Ultra will be; only if the Ultra had the same RAM would I say go for the Ultra at the same price. However, TBH any configuration of Studio Ultra will overperform either of our likely computer needs over the life cycle of the box.

I had intended for months to buy an M2 Studio Max, but Apple delayed so long releasing them (like they are now delaying release of the M3 Studios) that I had to buy the M2 MBP instead. It is an absolute joy to have that much power available, no limits when working. If you do buy an M2 Studio with at least 64 GB RAM you will be thrilled with its performance. Incase you are intent on the buy/resell route, 32 GB RAM would meet your needs today and would only be limiting later in the life cycle of the box.

Skyblazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2023
Other than the resale value Studio Ultra is of zero value add to you (or me) over a Studio Max; just added cost and added complexity in the chip electronics. You or I would benefit more from more RAM in an M2 than from a Max Ultra. What is the RAM in the CraigsList M2 Studio Ultra deal?

Beefed up to the same 64 GB RAM as a base Studio Ultra, the M2 Studio Max is $2800 full retail. I would put the same 96 GB RAM in an M2 Studio Max that I put in the M2 MBP, making the M2 Studio Max $3200 before your vet discount. IMO a 96 GB RAM M2 Studio Max will be of more value to many users than a 64 GB RAM M2 Studio Ultra will be; only if the Ultra had the same RAM would I say go for the Ultra at the same price. However, TBH any configuration of Studio Ultra will overperform either of our likely computer needs over the life cycle of the box.

I had intended for months to buy an M2 Studio Max, but Apple delayed so long releasing them (like they are now delaying release of the M3 Studios) that I had to buy the M2 MBP instead. It is an absolute joy to have that much power available, no limits when working. If you do buy an M2 Studio with at least 64 GB RAM you will be thrilled with its performance. Incase you are intent on the buy/resell route, 32 GB RAM would meet your needs today and would only be limiting later in the life cycle of the box.
Allen, thanks for your excellent points. Ultra standard is 64GB, 1TB, so this is what the CL ULTRA has. In my comparison; I brought the Vet's price Max 2 up the 64GB and the 512 memory to 1TB. I share a similar situation with you, that is, concerned my 2014 iMac 27 may not last until the M3 arrives. I waste a lot of time chasing email craziness. If the refurbished ULTRA doesn't knock my socks off.....I have until Jan 08 to return it. No harm, no foul.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Have until Jan 08, 2024 TO RETURN if I can't figure out how to operate the thing.

For comparison if buying a new Mac Studio at Vet prices; New M2 Max, $1799, $360 64GB mem, $180 1TB
$2339 or $2520 with tax

So, apples to apple memory, I'm paying $776 more for a refurb ULTRA instead of a new M2 Max

For another $100 2 x TB3 to TB2 cables will enable connection to 2 old 27" TB displays, if "no joy", I get 2 new 27" displays.

This is pretty much like buying a $460,000 Ferrari GTB to shop cheap clothes at Costco.

I'm blown away by the expertise and generosity of this forum for giving great insight and sharing their knowledge and experience. MANY, MANY, THANKS
My recent post missed your post here but has my [long] commentary. Summary is that IMO at the same RAM you should get the M2 Studio Max instead of the M2 Studio Ultra and apply the $$ saved to testing out an Apple Vision Pro, buying bigger than 27" displays, whatever.

Either M2 box you will love it, I guarantee. Make me an offer to sell your M2 when you want to trade up to M3... ;~)

Skyblazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2023
My recent post missed your post here but has my [long] commentary. Summary is that IMO at the same RAM you should get the M2 Studio Max instead of the M2 Studio Ultra and apply the $$ saved to testing out an Apple Vision Pro, buying bigger than 27" displays, whatever.

Either M2 box you will love it, I guarantee. Make me an offer to sell your M2 when you want to trade up to M3... ;~)
Same-same 65GB and 1TB in both M2 Max and ULTRA, So, I'm "wasting" $776 by purchasing the refurb ULTRA over the new M2 Max. In both cases, I'll go from stop light to stop light in the same time. Maybe the ULTRA has enough "shelf-life" to pass on to 13-year old granddaughter when the M6 arrives. She has about 100 times more computer savvy than me. Did I mention that in cars and electronics I go for total overkill. It kills me to buy the down-market version of cars/electronics only to learn one day it doesn't have HUD (heads up display) etc. Your assistance has been invaluable to my decision today....THANKS

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
These days a M2 Mac Studio Ultra it isn't a bad personal purchase to satisfy a want, if you plan on passing it along when you upgrade later.

The M2 Mac Studio Max would likely have satisfied your needs a bit better, but what is the fun in that.

I also see the humor in you buying more capable machine for less money than many spent on their M2 Max laptops, simply because you didn't need a laptop.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Same-same 65GB and 1TB in both M2 Max and ULTRA, So, I'm "wasting" $776 by purchasing the refurb ULTRA over the new M2 Max. In both cases, I'll go from stop light to stop light in the same time. Maybe the ULTRA has enough "shelf-life" to pass on to 13-year old granddaughter when the M6 arrives. She has about 100 times more computer savvy than me. Did I mention that in cars and electronics I go for total overkill. It kills me to buy the down-market version of cars/electronics only to learn one day it doesn't have HUD (heads up display) etc. Your assistance has been invaluable to my decision today....THANKS
Glad you survived the F-100 and can now enjoy Macs! And, anyone who talks/thinks HUD should take a look at the Apple Vision Pro.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

$2339 or $2520 with tax

The question now is, if you now buy an M2 Ultra Mac Studio, will you need want to replace it for an M3 Ultra in six months? The M2 Ultra is at the moment the most powerful Apple Silicon, but Apple will probably release an M3 Ultra next year… although with Apple, you never know, especially now that they revealed the M3 lineup without presenting the ultra. It’s a bit weird, not gonna lie, but the chance of getting an M3 Ultra next year is high.

I personally think the M2 Ultra is overkill enough to stay there for a few more generations, given the fact that it’s the most powerful chip right now, and I don’t think the M3 Ultra will make it any slower. However, keep in mind that a minimum 20% of performance improvement, as well as RayTracing, will come with the M3 Ultra, but you don’t play videogames so you won’t miss the RayTracing, in my opinion.

It’s up to you, but I think the M2 Ultra could give you enough joy to wait for the M5 or M6 generation, where more substantial changes are expected, including a new process node and an architecture optimized for the AI features coming in the next years.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Just to throw in an extra option - have you considered an iPad Pro instead??
Coupled with the keyboard, it’s pretty much like a laptop and will easily handle your news reading/Netflix etc…….
Haven’t read through the entire thread so apologies if its already been ruled out - but I replaced my M2 MacBook Air with an iPad Pro/Keyboard/Pencil and it serves me perfectly well for mobile use, or general use around teh house etc (granted, I do have an M1 Max laptop on my desk to other work).

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
All of these options are overkill for my use. I don't care. I like top end stuff.

When I upgrade to the Mac Studio M3 MAX, which of the above could be sold for the least lost?

Very much like me! lol
I know exactly what you mean, I like top end stuff too. Doesn’t mean I need it, but it’s ’nice to have’!

And lol at the ‘When I upgrade…’
It’s not even ‘If I upgrade….’
You already know it’s gonna happen! lol Love it!

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Old dude, age 88, use for email and read news 9 hrs per day, Netflix, no games (stop laughing).

I'm not rich, but I do have ample means to buy anything I want, and I'm psychologically inclined to overkill when buying electronics.
All of these options are overkill for my use. I don't care. I like top end stuff.
Any assistance from the brilliant young minds here would be greatly appreciated
first, thank you for your service.

It sounds like you really enjoy being on the cutting edge of technology, which has me very curious about something.

As most of your usage seems to be related to consumption, and you admit yourself that the specifications of the Max studio are overkill for your usage, why would you not opt for an Apple Vision Pro?
Sure, it only has the M2, but it’s a totally new experience and operating system, and if you’re looking for cutting edge, it’s that.
Re Vision Pro. As a kid, Dick Tracy had a watch he could speak to other ons. That was like out-of-this-world "star wars". Vision Pro is my adult Dick Tracy watch. Can't begin to comprehend it.
while it definitely seems complicated to understand how it works, the actual usage of the device (as demonstrated by Apple) seems simple enough that anyone could pick it up.
I dare to say that it even looks easier to use than macOS, the current operating system you’re using.
And most importantly, it seems to fit all of your qualifications perfectly.
No need for monitors or any connection to them, AVP can be your monitor.
And for the ultimate experience, you could pick up a used M1 Mac mini or MacBook Air for probably around $400-500, and as demonstrated by Apple, you can automatically run macOS apps off of that Mac alongside Vision Pro apps.
And even a basic M1 with 16 GB of ram will still be leaps and bounds ahead in performance compared to your 2014 iMac.

I understand you’ve already purchased a M2Ultra, and it should absolutely serve your needs fine, but definitely don’t rule out not getting that M3 ultra and instead trying out an AVP.

Just to throw in an extra option - have you considered an iPad Pro instead??
Coupled with the keyboard, it’s pretty much like a laptop and will easily handle your news reading/Netflix etc…….
Haven’t read through the entire thread so apologies if its already been ruled out - but I replaced my M2 MacBook Air with an iPad Pro/Keyboard/Pencil and it serves me perfectly well for mobile use, or general use around teh house etc (granted, I do have an M1 Max laptop on my desk to other work).
The main reason I don’t think an iPad would work is because the OP is already using multiple 27 inch monitors, and the largest an iPad can get is 12.9 inches plus a single external display.
AVP seems to have most of the same software as the iPad, but the screen can be any size you want, not to mention content consumption (especially video) is going to best both the iPad and Mac.

Skyblazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2023
AFTER ACTION REPORT (WRAP UP)
Purchased: Prices do not include CA sales tax

$3,059. Bought Mac Studio M2 ULTRA (Veterans site refurbished)
$2,339. Vet-New Compare to M2 Max upgraded to 64GB-$360 & !TB-$180
$1,899. Vet-New Compare to Mac Mini M2 Pro upgraded to 32GB and 1TB

$1350. Each. Bought 2 Studio Display at Costco (sales ends Monday Nov 27)
$1439. Vet-New Compare Studio Display with 10% discount

$174. Needed newer Magic Keyboard compatible with Silicon Mac

I'm grateful to all who offered information which was invaluable in making my decisions.

After dropping $6339 for this kit, all in with tax, I discovered the source of the bat guano crazy email malfunctions, which forced the "buy" decision for new kit. Some clumsy unskilled clutz turned the filter off so no emails would be shown in the Inbox. Wait til I catch that jerk.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I wish I could buy just one Studio Display at that price in Costco. But here we have to pay 1770€ for just one of those monitors in this side of the Atlantic.

Enjoy your new M2 Ultra Mac Studio!!! That's an absolute beast, and will easily last you several years still being overkill.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Why didn't you go for a single, larger OLED display? Superior display tech, lot less money. Would have run beautifully on a studio.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Why didn't you go for a single, larger OLED display? Superior display tech, lot less money. Would have run beautifully on a studio.
As far as I know, the 4K resolution is not optimal for macOS. The 5K resolution of the Studio Display is pixel-perfect for macOS.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
As far as I know, the 4K resolution is not optimal for macOS. The 5K resolution of the Studio Display is pixel-perfect for macOS.

I hear that. But I have a 4k OLED + studio. Looks amazing. Renders text beautifully. It’s Windows that has those problems.

Reactions: Chuckeee

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
david, that is very helpful. Many thanks. On the Geek-Scale 1-10, I'm hovering at 3. On this board I about compatibility issues with non-Apple monitors. So to play it safe and avoid potential frustration, I'll pay the premium for an Apple overpriced monitor.
In relation to what you want to spend, what you seem to know - you're definitely an 8/10.

veena3

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2021
M2MaxMan, your info very valuable on two levels. #1. I have two old 27" Thunderbolt displays that work perfectly and have almost no resale value. Only using one due to desk space limitation. As stated, I'm not too geeky and was concerned that connecting the old 27" TB monitor might be too tricky for me, whereas the new 27" would be plug and play, as I understand it. I get lost pretty fast when trying to understand the various generational connection compatibilities. If you see this post, would you comment on the ease/complexity of connecting a Mac Studio M2 Max to the older Thunderbolt 27" monitor. I read someplace the new 27" is not stellar and Apple is working on new monitors. So, if I use the old 27" TB for a year or so I coul await a better Apple monitor. And, is it dramatically different viewing either text or a movie between old and new Apple 27" monitors?? Greatly appreciate the valuable and useful info you have provided.

#2. Love you car analogy and I can learn from that. Owned long list of BMW, Benz (300SL Gullwing), Audi, Porsches (Cup Car), Ferrari (2004 Challenge Stradale). Using your analogy, I'd be fine in the base model Corvette as I go from stop light to stop light on Pacific Coast Highway alongside the VWs and soccer moms in their gigantic Bentley SUVs.
Seeing your use case I'd recommend that you could do a test run.

You can buy M3 iMac 16GB, 1TB+ for $2099. Use it for a week and see if it works for you:
1. as fast as you need (it will and will for x years)
2. with 24" display
3. with your connected 27" TB monitor as a second display

If it would be working for you without flaws you can keep it and spend those thousands dollars reserved for M2/M3 Studios eg. for travel, car etc. If it doesn't work for you you can return it after week to Apple and you will know much better what you want/need to buy in nowadays Apple product line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guenter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.