Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Wondering if anyone is experiencing this. I initially delete the 4 large default widgets at the top of the home page (iPad 9). But after every restart, they return to the same home page position. Also, any icons manually added to the homepage are moved to the second page (to make room for the widgets). I don't see a setting to control this, or else this is normal?

Last edited:

Jules L

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2023
London
I had the same thing happen to me last night. Woke the iPad after charging - when it shouldn't have been low enough to restart anyway - to find that the default widgets had reappeared. I deleted them again, tried to unscramble the mess it had made of my apps, and found that several of them weren't showing up at all. Settings showed that they still existed, but they weren't on any home page, and searching from the app library page didn't find them.

So I hard rebooted, the widgets reappeared again, the missing apps reappeared, and a completely different set disappeared. On this occasion that included things like Reminders and Weather, so I was able to launch them through the widgets. Though the app library search still told me they didn't exist.

This time I didn't delete the widgets immediately, but dragged them to a page on their own at the end. Rearranged everything else and checked what was missing. Took screenshots. Went to delete the widgets, at which point the iPad crashed, and when it came back up I still had the widgets (at the end where I'd put them) but my missing apps had reappeared. And this time when I deleted the widgets they stayed gone. I've rebooted several more times since. Fingers crossed, but it appears to be sticking though restarts now.

This is a week old M1 iPad Pro 11", which was upgraded to 16.3.1 before I did the original widget deletion. I'm not seeing it on my iPad Mini, where the widgets were deleted at a much earlier version. Not sure if that's a factor or if it's just completely random.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I had the same thing happen to me last night. Woke the iPad after charging - when it shouldn't have been low enough to restart anyway - to find that the default widgets had reappeared. I deleted them again, tried to unscramble the mess it had made of my apps, and found that several of them weren't showing up at all. Settings showed that they still existed, but they weren't on any home page, and searching from the app library page didn't find them.

So I hard rebooted, the widgets reappeared again, the missing apps reappeared, and a completely different set disappeared. On this occasion that included things like Reminders and Weather, so I was able to launch them through the widgets. Though the app library search still told me they didn't exist.

This time I didn't delete the widgets immediately, but dragged them to a page on their own at the end. Rearranged everything else and checked what was missing. Took screenshots. Went to delete the widgets, at which point the iPad crashed, and when it came back up I still had the widgets (at the end where I'd put them) but my missing apps had reappeared. And this time when I deleted the widgets they stayed gone. I've rebooted several more times since. Fingers crossed, but it appears to be sticking though restarts now.

This is a week old M1 iPad Pro 11", which was upgraded to 16.3.1 before I did the original widget deletion. I'm not seeing it on my iPad Mini, where the widgets were deleted at a much earlier version. Not sure if that's a factor or if it's just completely random.

Also thanks, I'll try this too. Glad this managed to work.

Omer8

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2023
This happened to me after a “reset all settings” back on 16.2. I had previously removed all widgets and they reappeared after the reset. I removed them all and from then on then they would come back every reboot.

I finally solved it by resetting home screen layout, removing all but one widget, rebooting to see that only that widget was there, then removing that one..

Don’t know maybe some similar things may have worked like simply removing all but one widget after they reappear, rebooting, then removing that one, or maybe just removing them all after resetting home screen layout..

-iPad Pro 11 M2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.