Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
I feel the iOS 10 only hides the stock apps in iOS 10 and doesn't actually delete them. There is no extra storage free even after deleting/hiding the apps. Do you guys agree?

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
I agree with you buddy. But would've loved to get some free space by deleting those annoying apps.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The problem seems to be that so many of the apps are so integrated (baked) into iOS. It would require a LARGE overall of iOS and the apps and possible some reduction in features or functions.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The problem seems to be that so many of the apps are so integrated (baked) into iOS. It would require a LARGE overall of iOS and the apps and possible some reduction in features or functions.

I am not convinced that this is the case. Apple is just not committed to this. Hiding apps is a dirty and quick solution and that is something Apple does rarely.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
No, it deletes the entire app (folder), it's just that the app takes negligible amount of space.

Podcasts is 11.3MB for me, for example.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
how do you load the app store without internet connection?
Yeah I load App Store with internet connection but then I remove sim and turn off wifi. Theoretically speaking no matter which app I want to download it should immediately tell me to connect. But downloading previously "deleted" system apps CAN be downloaded without internet connection.
Explanation?

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
"When you remove a built-in app from your Home screen, you also remove any related user data and configuration files. "

You're contradicting yourself.
No, we should say apple is contradicting themselves.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I feel the iOS 10 only hides the stock apps in iOS 10 and doesn't actually delete them. There is no extra storage free even after deleting/hiding the apps. Do you guys agree?
I agree with you buddy. But would've loved to get some free space by deleting those annoying apps.

You feel that because that's literally all it does. It hides the app and removes any user data tied to the app.

You wouldn't even gain a lot of space. Definitely not even close to what you're thinking. It was either Eddie Cue or Craig Federighi that said all the removable stock apps allowed to be "removed" add up to a total of just under 150mb. That's like 12-13 Live Photos. Who cares, about a measly 150mb. Besides, iOS 10 actually takes up less space than iOS 9. So there is your few photos worth of space you're complaining about.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
I am not convinced that this is the case. Apple is just not committed to this. Hiding apps is a dirty and quick solution and that is something Apple does rarely.

You do realize that the basis of iOS was built from having these apps integrated with the OS, right? I mean, the first iPhone didn't even have an app store. The frameworks that comprise the apps are major ones shared with the OS, that's why actually removing them frees up so little space. Allowing you to do what you feel you've been cheated out of would require a complete re-write of the entire OS from the ground up to free up 150mb. That's why it hasn't been done.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You do realize that the basis of iOS was built from having these apps integrated with the OS, right? I mean, the first iPhone didn't even have an app store. The frameworks that comprise the apps are major ones shared with the OS, that's why actually removing them frees up so little space. Allowing you to do what you feel you've been cheated out of would require a complete re-write of the entire OS from the ground up to free up 150mb. That's why it hasn't been done.

I don’t believe that the app bundles themselves are integrated that much. Frameworks and libraries are shared across the system and that is why these apps by themselves are relatively small. There has to be some abstraction and separation, essentially Apple uses the same technologies that it provides to developers. Apple could transfer most of these app bundles to the App Store and rely on the same APIs (with some private APIs of course, which they can allow), but they are simply unwilling to do so. After all, iBooks and Podcasts used to be App Store apps, until Apple decided that they should be preinstalled.

Instead they decided to just delete the app containers of the apps, hide the icons from the lock screen, share sheets and Settings app and provide this popup whenever an application is linked to. To me that sounds like a workaround. Apple doesn’t want their system apps in the App Store, pure and simple.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Craig Federighi in an interview said that in iOS 10 Apple chose to "hide" the stock apps you remove as the binaries for these apps are so small that not much space would be freed up by deleting them.

Going to AppStore to "download" the apps again isn't really downloading anything. It's just making the apps visible again.
[doublepost=1471993380][/doublepost]

Probably the same reason why we still can't put icons anywhere we want on the home page without filling up each row.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
If I delete the stock apps and then open the AppStore to find the app I deleted, I can easily turn on Airplane Mode and tap Install with no issues. So, I was wondering why I had to connect to the internet in order to install the "deleted" stock apps. I only reason I could think of was that in order to "reconstruct" the binaries that were "deleted" it must phone home to verify the install to make sure it wasn't being hijacked to run some malicious code. Maybe I'm just paranoid o_O :p

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
The way they handled this is very smart. Preserves the integrity of the OS, but gives some users the impression of the experience they wanted. There is no legitimate need to "free up space", so hiding them and easily reactivating them is a good solution.

Reactions: lagwagon

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
But, but, I need that sub 150mb for 10 extra photos! :p

A 150 MB can still be a lot. Messages, for instance, which you can’t backup separately. Apple used to sell 8 GB devices less than two years ago. I don’t see why this notion of saving every bit of space has to be ridiculed so much. It is a good practice to move as many apps possible to the App Store and let users decide more.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You feel that because that's literally all it does. It hides the app and removes any user data tied to the app.

You wouldn't even gain a lot of space. Definitely not even close to what you're thinking. It was either Eddie Cue or Craig Federighi that said all the removable stock apps allowed to be "removed" add up to a total of just under 150mb. That's like 12-13 Live Photos. Who cares, about a measly 150mb. Besides, iOS 10 actually takes up less space than iOS 9. So there is your few photos worth of space you're complaining about.

I think 150MB is a very generous amount. Podcast is 11MB, Find Friends is 5MB, Find my iPhone is 5MB. I would say more like 100MB max for every single app.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If the stock apps on iOS 10 are like they have been on iOS 1-9, there is no recovering of space beyond user saved data for those apps. The stock apps live on a different read only partition on iOS devices. When people complain that they want Stocks deleted to recover space, they fail to realize that even if Stocks was deleted, the amount of space usable won't change because Stocks lives on an entirely different partition whose space does not appear in iTunes or Settings and it is read only making it impossible to delete the app without a jailbreak.

Reactions: Costee

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
If the stock apps on iOS 10 are like they have been on iOS 1-9, there is no recovering of space beyond user saved data for those apps. The stock apps live on a different read only partition on iOS devices. When people complain that they want Stocks deleted to recover space, they fail to realize that even if Stocks was deleted, the amount of space usable won't change because Stocks lives on an entirely different partition whose space does not appear in iTunes or Settings and it is read only making it impossible to delete the app without a jailbreak.

Because iOS is currently designed that way, deliberately. There is no technical reason whatsoever why the stock app could not be made deletable. The only reason why it won’t happen is because Apple doesn’t want to do it. Hiding the icons instead and removing the container is a more elaborate solution for hiding icons, not a solution for deleting apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.