Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
Another endorsement for AppCleaner. Actually, after running AppCleaner, I launch EasyFind (much prefer it over Spotlight), and do a search for file/folder names like the application I am removing. It typically finds some more items associated with the app. Works like a charm.

Reactions: Fishrrman

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
And that is not a good way to uninstall. It leaves behind lots of files in ~/Library and for some software in /Library. All these files need to be removed if you want to keep a clean system. Some apps have an uninstaller app, some have instructions on how to uninstall, but for the rest something like AppCleaner is essential.
To be fair, most apps without an uninstaller leave behind only a few, very small files that are never accessed (beyond Spotlight), typically preference and perhaps other support files, after the app is deleted. Ultimately, most probably, it would be many installs and removals before those support files would be noticeable, namely, storage space usage.

What I have noticed is some apps do prompt to uninstall support files, such as extensions, when the app is moved to the trash — I’m not sure if it’s triggered by the app or OS. The app was a VPN client that I was indeed concerned about because it had no uninstaller or uninstallation instructions.

For me, I search following an app uninstall or occasionally manually scan over ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences.

By the way… Also to be fair, the uninstaller for Windows apps is generally acceptable but far from consistently thorough.

I have been using macos since late 2020. But i still couldn’t make mac my main computer. My main computer is still a windows pc. I really want to love macos but it seems like maybe i may never. In late 2020, i bought my first mac as an 2019 i9 16” mbp. Then when the 2021 16” mbp’s came, i bought the 2021 one and sold the old one. I thought maybe i will love macos with the 120hz refresh rate,ports etc. But so many important programs doesnt exist(for ex. 3dsmax). You cannot delete any program completely, it leaves junk files. My current mac is M1 Pro 16” but my 8 year old MSI GE70 2PC Apache Pro Windows pc my main computer(!!!) is faster on rendering with keyshot and also when i upgraded to Ventura, the NOT EVEN 1 YEAR OLD M1 PRO WENT SLOW. WHATS THAT?? Can u guys suggest anything for these situations? I do really want to love mac but because of these things, i still cannot make my mac my main laptop.
For me, the experience and conclusion is the opposite. No matter how many “PCs” I’ve owned (pre and custom assembled), every Windows version used, Windows isn’t friendly or reliable enough for my regular use and most personal data. From driver problems to updates that result in irreparable BSOD, and (most recently) a very obnoxious microphone problem similar to this:

Lastly, I am indeed not claiming Apple OSs are perfect, just far better than the competition — again, in my decades of experience.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
To be fair, most apps without an uninstaller leave behind only a few, very small files that are never accessed (beyond Spotlight), typically preference and perhaps other support files, after the app is deleted. Ultimately, most probably, it would be many installs and removals before those support files would be noticeable, namely, storage space usage.
One notable exception is Microsoft Office. But at least MS tells you where to find all the folders you need to remove:

1668919831063.png

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Check ~/Library/Containers and ~/Library/Group Containers. Nearly 20GB on my Mac.
Do you use Outlook for your emails? If so, the size of your Group Containers is likely mostly due to that one program.

Specifically, my Group Containers is 91.60 GB, of which 91.52 GB is the UBF8T346G9.Office subfolder. I'm assuming nearly all of that is my Outlook emails. Most apps, by contrast, don't store much data, so leaving the app-associated files behind usually doesn't take up much space. [Another exception might be an app that comes with a lot of graphics templates.] Granted, it can be a large mess of files you might wish to clean up, but I'm not sure if storage space is typically an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.