Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadtownCapsFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Hi -

Definite newbie here. I've read some of the sticky threads and FAQs about jailbreaking etc. but still stuck.

The problem is my ipod touch has become very slow and I'd like to explore deleting the daemon files etc. to try and speed things up. (There's just a very noticeable, and annoying, lag between when I click on the screen and how quickly it responds). I don't expect miracles, but I'm willing to try a few things.

My computer is a Power PC, iMac g5 running 10.4.11, and it seems many of the programs require later versions of mac os x. My ipod touch is running iOS 4.1

Anyway, I'm wondering what program(s) I need to accomplish this task. Do I need a jailbreaking program AND some kind of file manager program? If so, does anyone know which ones I need for my set-up described above?

Thanks for any help.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
Hi -

Definite newbie here. I've read some of the sticky threads and FAQs about jailbreaking etc. but still stuck.

The problem is my ipod touch has become very slow and I'd like to explore deleting the daemon files etc. to try and speed things up. (There's just a very noticeable, and annoying, lag between when I click on the screen and how quickly it responds). I don't expect miracles, but I'm willing to try a few things.

My computer is a Power PC, iMac g5 running 10.4.11, and it seems many of the programs require later versions of mac os x. My ipod touch is running iOS 4.1

Anyway, I'm wondering what program(s) I need to accomplish this task. Do I need a jailbreaking program AND some kind of file manager program? If so, does anyone know which ones I need for my set-up described above?

Thanks for any help.

Why don't you tried restoring the device to stock firmware and rejailbreak after? By the way, why don't you try out whited00r? IF you iPod Touch is MB model, whited00r would be a good custom firmware for your iPod Touch 2G. whited00r takes some iOS 4 features and puts them in a custom firmware of iOS 3.1.3, which is way faster than running 4.1.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
No PC needed to remove the daemons. :) just install iFile on your iPod, then go to /System/library/launchdaemons I believe. However you want to back up this folder first, so you'll need to download an iPhone browser that is Tiger compatible.

Also I wouldn't recommend whited00r, running official iOS is the way to go.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
No PC needed to remove the daemons. :) just install iFile on your iPod, then go to /System/library/launchdaemons I believe. However you want to back up this folder first, so you'll need to download an iPhone browser that is Tiger compatible.

Also I wouldn't recommend whited00r, running official iOS is the way to go.

Official iOS is the way to go when its practical. whited00r is very good for old iDevices. As well, I have removed Cydia, so its fast without any further customizations then the ones already given.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.