Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
After I setup my Mac Studio M2 Max w/ 32gb RAM and a 1T drive, updated the OS (Sonoma 14.2.1) and noticed that Wifi was a bit slow compared to everything else I have in my office. There's also an iPad and an iPhone 13 with no network issues... I'm a couple of walls away from the Wifi router, but certainly not in a Faraday cage.

All other systems/devices receive wifi quite well and average 300-450Mps, near the ISP's 500Mps

The brand shiny-new screaming fast M2 was stuttering along at 40-90Mps with high latency. Upload speeds are too embarrassing to post.

I was somewhat baffled by this - so I tested a MacBookPro, an i7 iMac, and a little Mac mini in the very exact same spot without any change in speeds. Perhaps there is something wrong with the M2?

If I moved the M2 a few inches in any direction, the speeds would fluctuate accordingly.

Yada yada yada, I moved the M2, after trial and error, to a location that appeased the Apple wifi gods, and now have speeds approaching 500Mps

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with the Mac Studio M2 Max? Are the new wifi chips THAT sensitive?

Anyhoo, have a great day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.