Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freebrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
The Mac Mini is late 2012 running Catalina with latest update. It works with an old Acer brand monitor I have.

The Dell monitor is E2015Hv, an old LCD monitor from 2015, and that monitor also currently works with an old Dell computer. So all these components work, just the Mac Mini and the Dell monitor don't communicate with each other.

The Dell monitor which I want to use with the Mac Mini has VGA output and I have that attached to a VGA-to-HDMI adapter to connect it to the Mac Mini. When I power on the Mac, the monitor just sleeps and acts like nothing happened. The adapter also works between the Dell monitor/Dell computer, so the adapter is apparently not defective.

Is there any way I can configure the Mac and Dell monitor to work with each other? I'd really like that because I'm more comfortable with LCD monitors than LEDs and well, this is what I already have lying around.

Link to the monitor

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You could try a Minidisplayport (Mac end) to VGA (display end) cable.
It connects to the thunderbolt port on the back (which is also compatible with minidisplayport, I believe).

Something else to try, right now, with the cable you're using now:
- power down, all the way off
- hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
- press the Mini's power on button
- the goal is to keep holding down the option key until the startup manager appears (this may "force" the mini to "see" the display in order to present the startup manager).

If it does, just select the internal drive and hit return.

Does this work? (you won't know unless you try it)

Yes, I realize "it's clunky".
But... what works... works.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The Dell monitor which I want to use with the Mac Mini has VGA output and I have that attached to a VGA-to-HDMI adapter to connect it to the Mac Mini.
You've got this backwards. It is a VGA input and should be an HDMI-to-VGA adapter. The direction matters as not all adapters/cables are bi-directional, especially when going from digital to analog or vice versa.

Which adapter did you get? Is it an active (powered) adapter to convert the digital HDMI signal into an analog VGA signal? If not, it's a passive (unpowered) adapter and the Mac mini does not support this. (Some PCs do, which sounds like your Dell does.)

You will need either a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, or an HDMI to DVI adapter...as specified on their Tech Specs page.

Last edited:
Reactions: freebrian

freebrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
I did make a mistake when I wrote "output" instead of input. Now I got the mini display port adapter after reading that's what it needs... thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.