Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I have a Logitech MX Anywhere and ...

• It is working flawlessly over Bluetooth

• It is useless over Bluetooth

• I don't care - I use USB dongle

Results are only viewable after voting.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
I have huge problems with the jumpy, laggy and unreliable cursor over BT with Logitech MX Anywhere mouse. As soon as I switch to USB dongle, everything is okay. But I bought this wireless mouse to use it without extra peripherals. Apple BT keyboard, mouse or trackpad are working flawlessly.

The problem is that I have 3 (!) MX Anywhere and all of them are useless. Tested with iMac 27" 5k late 2015, MacBook Pro 13" 2016, MacBook Pro 15" 2017.

Question to Logitech MX Anywhere users - do you have problems with BT connection? If so did you manage to solve it somehow?

I was not reacting at the beginning because I was hoping Logitech will solve it with updates to Logitech Options but after almost a year - nothing is better. It seems that this low energy Bluetooth is not handled well with this mouse. I know that users have same problems with MX Master (even latest 2S).

It really sucks, and the problem is that there is no good alternative to Logitech. They have somehow monopolised the market. Maybe I am wrong? Maybe there is a decent option?
Do you own reliable over BT medium-sized mouse (preferably not gaming behemoth with trillion buttons)?

Using USB dongle is NOT solution here of course. o_O

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I've never tested it with my Mac. I use one with my Dell Precision 3520 as the daily mouse for using my computer at work.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
From what I've been able to gather, Logitech seems to have publicly stated that the bluetooth chip in the Anywhere MX has issues with something in the Macbook Bluetooth Chip and/or MacOS itself.

The jumpiness is a known issue, and as far as I can tell, there is no fix for it. I have the same mouse, and every macbook I've used it with has a similar issue where it jumps around, loses connection, etc. The same mouse works just great with a surface pro and another windows laptop.

I ended up going with a magic mouse, haven't had a problem (so it's obviously not an inherent problem with the mac). It's a shame, because I really liked that mouse.

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
I bought the logitech mx850 bundle... Kbd/mouse each switchable between three devices. Supports logitech unifying or bluetooth 4 for each.

I'm using with unifying usb receiver on my win10 insider pc... And with Bluetooth on a macbook pro 15 touch 2016. Working flawlessly even when wearing apple watch, cheap activity tracker, Bluetooth headphones, and a house filled with wifi and zig we for lights heating etc.

Rock solid in 2 days use.. Only received Thursday.

high sierra beta

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I've never tested it with my Mac. I use one with my Dell Precision 3520 as the daily mouse for using my computer at work.

@lobo1978 Sorry I'm just now replying to this. The MX Anywhere works without lags as far as pointing is concerned. However, I cannot get the forward/backward buttons to work in Safari. In Google Chrome, the forward/backward buttons open new tabs. The scroll button is reversed. I have natural scrolling turned on for my built-in trackpad on my MBP. If I turn it off for the mouse settings, it turns it off for the trackpad as well.

EDIT: With the Logitech options app installed, it performs as expected. No lags. Able to use forward/backward button and the trackpad is still enabled to use natural scrolling.

Last edited:

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
@lobo1978 Sorry I'm just now replying to this. The MX Anywhere works without lags as far as pointing is concerned. However, I cannot get the forward/backward buttons to work in Safari. In Google Chrome, the forward/backward buttons open new tabs. The scroll button is reversed. I have natural scrolling turned on for my built-in trackpad on my MBP. If I turn it off for the mouse settings, it turns it off for the trackpad as well.

EDIT: With the Logitech options app installed, it performs as expected. No lags. Able to use forward/backward button and the trackpad is still enabled to use natural scrolling.

Thank you for feedback. I have returned MX 2S and currently use MX Anywhere 2 - one in office + one at home. While away from routers and external hard drive it is just ok for browsing. Not usable for CAD or any precision work though. That's really sad Logi cannot nail this problem. I think they just don't care about Mac platform which is still strange because Mac users tend to spend more on "premium" peripherals...

Of course I am using BT connection only. Dongle/adapter/receiver era is gone for me with BT 4.2/5.0.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
@lobo1978 I'm only using it to surf the web, PowerPoint presentations, etc. I could see where fine movements would be a problem. Did you turn down the mouse speed to slow to see if that helped?

I primarily use it for my work laptop, which I actually prefer over my MacBook now. Windows 10 seems cool, Google Chrome is fast on Windows 10, and the laptop screams (Xeon 3.0 GHz with turbo boost to 4.0 GHz, 32 GB PC2400 DDR RAM, 512 GB NVM Samsung Pro SSD). Way overkill for surfing the web, but for using Dragon Medical Practice Edition dictation software, it definitely helps. Still, despite the processing power and memory, Microsoft Outlook still hangs occasionally. :|

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
@southerndoc I will get Dell Precision 7XXX (don't know exactly what setup definitely not Xeon) from work soon. First of all, I asked IT dep to put Win7 Pro instead of preinstalled Win10... For me, Windows 8/10 is just crap (period). I am virtualizing some Windows OS and Win7 is still the best (stable//user friendly//predictable) -- I am doing some modelling stuff with it. Anything else I am doing on Mac exclusively - mostly because of virus/ransomware scare and just for a peace of mind (and everything actually works for me). Plus I love USB-C -> best ever tech nowadays

I have not been using Windows machine for a long time. I will definitely test MX Anywhere with this PC. Will report.
Peace!

velo

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
I don't have that model but two other logitechs that have the same issue. It seems to be exacerbated when wifi is on.

Astonish_IT

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
I have actually opened a thread where I was asking if The MX Anywhere 2s has some strange behaviours on bluetooth connection as I want to use it with a 2017 MacBook Pro. Before, I had bad memories with some other bluetooth Logitech mouse with a Mac Pro, apparently the problem persists and I am in search of an alternative too as I want cable-free setup, and will use it for CAD as well.

Regards,

hichem90

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2019
I have huge problems with the jumpy, laggy and unreliable cursor over BT with Logitech MX Anywhere mouse. As soon as I switch to USB dongle, everything is okay. But I bought this wireless mouse to use it without extra peripherals. Apple BT keyboard, mouse or trackpad are working flawlessly.

The problem is that I have 3 (!) MX Anywhere and all of them are useless. Tested with iMac 27" 5k late 2015, MacBook Pro 13" 2016, MacBook Pro 15" 2017.

Question to Logitech MX Anywhere users - do you have problems with BT connection? If so did you manage to solve it somehow?

I was not reacting at the beginning because I was hoping Logitech will solve it with updates to Logitech Options but after almost a year - nothing is better. It seems that this low energy Bluetooth is not handled well with this mouse. I know that users have same problems with MX Master (even latest 2S).

It really sucks, and the problem is that there is no good alternative to Logitech. They have somehow monopolised the market. Maybe I am wrong? Maybe there is a decent option?
Do you own reliable over BT medium-sized mouse (preferably not gaming behemoth with trillion buttons)?

Using USB dongle is NOT solution here of course. o_O
1570198729896.png

Nickpad3

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
My MX Master 2S seems to be working great. Forward, backward, no jumps, and I've customized the bottom button on mouse to Mission Control with no issues. I occasionally have to disconnect from bluetooth and reconnect but its a minor inconvenience. I suspect it's more of a Catalina issue than Logitech.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I bought 2 - MX Anywhere 2 mice recently. Laggy, jagged, unusable with my MBP over Bluetooth but works fine with the USB dongle. Works fine with my HP ZBook work laptop, so they have been relegated to that. A little upset to see this thread is years old.

Whatever. Logitech’s new MX Keys keyboard ... is to die for. Bought 2 of them, they work amazing.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have the MX Keys Keyboard and I presume its driver is causing the Apple BT to stop then reset on my iMac Pro. Very annoying.

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
I have a MX master and it’s not usable without the USB dongle.
So annoying, currently trying to decide between a new MX Master 3 (maybe the issue got fixed?) and a Magic Mouse.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have a MX master and it’s not usable without the USB dongle.
So annoying, currently trying to decide between a new MX Master 3 (maybe the issue got fixed?) and a Magic Mouse.

It has to be something with Mac and Logitech because I can use these mice on my HP work laptop with no lag, but on my MBP or my wife's MBP? It's unusuable without the dongle.

TimWinch

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2020
Most of my problem - jittery Logitech MX Anywhere 2S with Mac mini 2018 over Bluetooth - went away after I switched off and dismantled a 3rd-party USB 3.0 powered hub. But it definitely works best with Bluetooth turned off and using the dongle in the side of my old (wired) Apple keyboard.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Previously I have had a lot of issues with Logitech over BT. It is better in Catalina, but the best option is when connected over dongle. Logitech is using the same tech for connection. Investing in new models will not help.

My solution was (sadly) use Logitech mouse only when connected to external monitor + dongle. When I am using laptop without external monitor I use only built-in trackpad. I give up on using BT for Logitech mice. Apple mouse worked flawlessly (but it is a crappy design).

Last edited:

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2015
Logitech’s new MX Keys keyboard ... is to die for. Bought 2 of them, they work amazing.

May I ask why you think this keyboard is good? I am looking for a wireless backlit keyboard for my lab, and I assume this might be a good candidate.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
May I ask why you think this keyboard is good? I am looking for a wireless backlit keyboard for my lab, and I assume this might be a good candidate.
I like them because they work with Windows and Mac - can connect to three devices and switch between them via the keyboard. Bluetooth connection is strong and the key throw distance is similar to my Mac and other keyboards.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2015
I like them because they work with Windows and Mac - can connect to three devices and switch between them via the keyboard. Bluetooth connection is strong and the key throw distance is similar to my Mac and other keyboards.
Thanks for the sharing. How about the typing feeling and the battery life?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for the sharing. How about the typing feeling and the battery life?

Typing feel - depending on whether or not you like Apple's keyboards or mechanical keyboards. The MX Keys is a very short throw - very like Apple's keyboards. Mechanical keyboard users will not like it. :D But it's handling my 150wpm+ very well - but it is a very short throw.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
I had the original Mx anywhere mouse and had constant problems with it. I even tried special mouse software that was supposed to smooth out the tracking and jumpy ness. Eventually I actually threw out the mouse because it was acting so strangely that I thought it was faulty.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I had the original Mx anywhere mouse and had constant problems with it. I even tried special mouse software that was supposed to smooth out the tracking and jumpy ness. Eventually I actually threw out the mouse because it was acting so strangely that I thought it was faulty.

The MX Anywhere 2s mouse is in the same camp. I bought two of them. They're terrible. Makes me feel like I'm using a laggy overloaded computer. :(

ali6p

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
The MX Anywhere 2s mouse is in the same camp. I bought two of them. They're terrible. Makes me feel like I'm using a laggy overloaded computer. :(

I just bought MX Anywhere 2S (Firmware 13.00.0003 and LogiOption 8.10.64). I faced the same problem. I tried changing the channel and fixed it - not completely fixed but better :/
  1. Disconnect and remove the mouse
  2. Switch channel to 2 on the back of the mouse
  3. Re-pair with Bluetooth
I hope this helps you.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.