Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
I suppose the new MacBook Pros will come with Monterey though, so there should still be some pressure to get the release out on time.

I personally don’t think it is good to do macOS releases and hardware releases at the same moment. The release of Big Sur was a real mess last year, and somehow I believe they would not have released it at the state it was in at that moment if it weren’t for the fact it had to come with the M1 Macs.

For example, in 2019, no Macs were introduced with Catalina, though the 16" MacBook Pro was released just one month later. I think that’s better. Though iOS releases have been tied with iPhone releases for years, so it isn’t a new thing.

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
I suppose the new MacBook Pros will come with Monterey though, so there should still be some pressure to get the release out on time.

I personally don’t think it is good to do macOS releases and hardware releases at the same moment. The release of Big Sur was a real mess last year, and somehow I believe they would not have released it at the state it was in at that moment if it weren’t for the fact it had to come with the M1 Macs.

For example, in 2019, no Macs were introduced with Catalina, though the 16" MacBook Pro was released just one month later. I think that’s better. Though iOS releases have been tied with iPhone releases for years, so it isn’t a new thing.
True, Big Sur for m1 is just so buggy. When macOS 12 works better with m1 and it’s in beta that says all

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

I feel it's just way too early to speculate if Monterey will be released separately or paired to hardware. Monterey is part of the transition to allow more capable ARM SoC's as well as more parts of the MacOS to be M1 native such as FaceTime with its now delayed SharePlay. You likely to see a decoupling of iOS/IPadOS/WatchOS, and tvOS releases to some degree. The new products associated with those OS's will be shipping way before MBP's show up November/December.

IMHO a lot of the problems that cropped up with the initial Big Sur was because you simply had no increased beta testing participation occurring (public/seed) as it was mostly internal and developers that tested Application compatibility with the DTK Mac minis. That really limits the setup variations of what it was tested against compared to later versions of Big Sur where you had a wider range of setup variation and inputs from more testers as well as the OS sending reports to Apple when it crashed. Monterey has a lot wider participation so should be better when it gets released.

I also think we will finally see a MacOS 12 beta 6 next week, it's certainly been long enough. :D

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
yes finally... But release notes are mostly the same with the same Known Issues. I mean did they fix anything in 3 weeks or just release to release at this point...

And of course it's not showing up like normal, guess we have to wait a while longer...
ofc they did, I'm also a developer and well let's just say that I don't write everything that I fix and update etc. Just major things not the little ones. And special not in Beta releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.