Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Spent $230 for my girlfriend's birthday present, a Sony Cybershot DSC-W55. Just after 2 days, she said it was soaked with Coke in her handbag. She found that the Coke has enter the battery socket and wiped it.

I told her not to turn the camera on to avoid any shorts or any unwanted things to happen. I'm not sure if the chemicals in Coke would potentially kill the camera components so I'd appreciate any suggestion about what we should do to keep the camera healthy as long as possible.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
If it still works, bring it back to where you bought and say it's not want you need, ask for a credit note and buy another camera.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions as I've never heard of anything like your situation. I would recommend for her next point & shoot to keep it in a cheapie camera case from Walmart or somewhere cheap to keep the LCD screen from scratching.

It possibly would have stopped the camera from being drenched.

Sorry I couldn't be more constructive.

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Coke has some very strong acids in it. Remember the video of Coke eating through car paint, dissolving a human tooth?! Wiping it isn't going to clean those and the sugar off. You need to clean it with water, then rubbing alcohol, and most important, let it dry.
It is sort of counterintuitive, but water will not hurt it as long as there is no electricity involved. The real issue is how far into the guts of the camera did the Coke get?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You're going to have to let it sit for a LONG time.....with the battery taken out.

If you can get it open, you may as well. It's not under warranty anymore.

Weird thing: my friend has one of those Olympus 725 or 730 SW cameras that you can drop into 10 feet of water or something, and we've purposely dunked it into beer and taken photos from inside pint glasses. Weird perspective.

Bring it back to where you bought and say it's not want need....

.................:confused:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Perhaps signing up to a dedicated digital photography forum would get more info...

dann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
If it still works, bring it back to where you bought and say it's not want you need, ask for a credit note and buy another camera.

That is what I thought I'm gonna do but it's been more than 15 days so I can't return it.

Coke has some very strong acids in it. Remember the video of Coke eating through car paint, dissolving a human tooth?! Wiping it isn't going to clean those and the sugar off. You need to clean it with water, then rubbing alcohol, and most important, let it dry.
It is sort of counterintuitive, but water will not hurt it as long as there is no electricity involved. The real issue is how far into the guts of the camera did the Coke get?

I'm not sure how far into the camera did the Coke get but since my gf toke the battery out and found 3-4 drops of Coke in there, it may be far enough to reach the electrical components in the camera. We'll try to clean it carefully with water like what you suggest.

Perhaps signing up to a dedicated digital photography forum would get more info...

I'm posting it here because this is the forum that I found instantly. The response are pretty good and quick. I'll try searching a dedicated digital photography forum if someone has quite a similar situation.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I don't think that people on a "dedicated photo forum" are going to be able to offer any more assistance than folks here for the simple reason that the camera is more than likely toast now. Might as well look at having to pony up for a new one and this time get her a case to keep the camera in, too, to protect it from Coke and other substances.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Love the contribution to society! :rolleyes:

The sugar from the coke will most likely ruin the camera unfortunately. I can't see it actually working right after that.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Sorry, but I had to smile when I read that. My friend's daughter just dropped her nano into a Big Gulp filled with root beer. And it ain't workin' no more. :(

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.

Ok, is it just me or does anyone else find this kind of behaviour absolutely disgusting?

It was soaked in Coke! Not the manufacturers problem, not the retailers problem, your problem!

Why should the manufacturer or retailer help you at all?

Suck it up (not the coke, the responsibility)!

It's gone, dead, finished. Buy another and move on. Do the right thing.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Ok, is it just me or does anyone else find this kind of behaviour absolutely disgusting?

I am in complete agreement with you here. When something bad happens through a person's own fault, why do so many people immediately think of "how can I best screw somebody else so this doesn't adversely impact me?"

I realize a lot of people on this board are kids, but... c'mon.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I certainly wouldn't assume the camera is broken. My brother-in-law had his nano (the previous version) go through the washing machine. Twice. It still works. The key element is the moisture, not the coke. AFAIK, carbonic acid won't dissolve the materials in IC's. Now, if some of the coke got into the imaging part of the camera (between the lenses, over the sensor, etc.) then it's done for. I would NOT clean with water. Alcohol, maybe, but not water. Water + electronics + power supply = short ciruit -> dead camera.

Good luck

Dave

dann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
The camera is not dead, whew. I'll clean it with alcohol and I hope the camera will last long as it supposed to.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I'm glad your camera still works. I would suggest you take a look at moving parts, like where the lens slides in and out and make sure its not too sticky there. Otherwise I doubt much coke could have gone inside to the electronics. As for the battery section it probably only did two things, clean the electrodes (though if new they weren't corroded) and make the compartment sticky, neither being dangerous.

visch1

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
If the purchase was made using certain credit cards it's possible that there is theft and damage insurance on the camera for a period of time.

dann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
If the purchase was made using certain credit cards it's possible that there is theft and damage insurance on the camera for a period of time.

My credit card doesn't have the insurance so all I can do is hoping that the Coke's sugar and acid didn't do too much damage to the camera. The lesson is don't put your drinks and camera at the same place.

avincent52

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Originally Posted by irishgrizzly
That is what I thought I'm gonna do but it's been more than 15 days so I can't return it.

Glad your camera's working. But if you're old enough to buy expensive presents for your girlfriend, you're old enough to understand that trying to return something you broke is both illegal and just plain dishonest.

best
allen

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
To the OP, I don't think you're going to be able to fix it if water leaked into the battery compartment.

Is there a chance that you could help your girlfriend buy a $99 point and shoot? If you don't need anything fancy, I doubt there's much difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.