Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I never had a cable fall off my computer as I'm working. LOL. I think by that point, you have bigger issues. As for ports, yea eSATA should be standard in all laptops. USB 3.0 is coming though, that might help.

It's not just about the cores, high bus speeds and more importantly (one I can't wait to arrive), proper 64 bit computing. Even a dual-core computer can jump leaps and bounds in terms of photo and video processing in 64 bit.

ryanmcd02

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
There is also the Epson V700 flatbed scanner that has many fans and only costs $550 new. Sharpness is an issue on flatbeds, especially for MF, but glass can fix this. Or a used Coolscan 5000/8000 could be an option.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I never had a cable fall off my computer as I'm working. LOL. I think by that point, you have bigger issues. As for ports, yea eSATA should be standard in all laptops. USB 3.0 is coming though, that might help.

It's not just about the cores, high bus speeds and more importantly (one I can't wait to arrive), proper 64 bit computing. Even a dual-core computer can jump leaps and bounds in terms of photo and video processing in 64 bit.

When you are on the move, cables will fall out.

I am waiting for Firewire 3200.... since USB3 will be plagued with the same issues as 1.1 and 2.0.

And imagine what a 64 bit OS will do with a 64 bit running on a high bus speed 8GB RAM quad core processor. :)

That's a win for us all!

Or a used Coolscan 5000/8000 could be an option.

Right, I think the OP should much of his gear used/refurbished/second hand.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
LOL, I can't imagine moving so fast that cables will fall out of my computer WHILE I'm working on it. DO you typically work on a rollercoaster? If that's the case, you have bigger problems than the cables falling out, the HDD will die in no time. :p

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
All that 64 bit horsepower, 8 core stuff with everything built in, including a raid array, super-hi-def display, color analyzer, stylus tablet, is just dandy... but next year it's "old" technology. What once took a desk to hold all the pieces, now can fit into a (rather large) briefcase, in a few short years, in your back pocket... we all know that, right? I'm sure any computer builder can shovel all the options into a package when not having to consider weight, size or practicality. Is that what NuclearBisquit (OP) needs, or is it a wish list for someone else?

I don't think he mentioned doing 3-D video rendering, or high-end gaming, or engineering simulations, or any of that. Here's a reminder:

Here's what I need to be able to do:

Use Photoshop to work with MF Images
Scan 35mm and MF Negs
Word Process
Print Word Documents
Travel with the Computer

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Yeah, that's why I said a decently powered laptop would be plenty for him. As an added bonus, having it be thin, light and looking good doesn't sound too bad at all. ;)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
LOL, I can't imagine moving so fast that cables will fall out of my computer WHILE I'm working on it. DO you typically work on a rollercoaster? If that's the case, you have bigger problems than the cables falling out, the HDD will die in no time. :p

It depends on where you are working. No one can safely say that every power users works where I work, and everywhere else is a joke.

When you are traveling in a car/bus/place uncommon territory here, it's very easy to pull any cable out.

I guess most shooters don't get out anymore. :(

I don't think he mentioned doing 3-D video rendering, or high-end gaming, or engineering simulations, or any of that. Here's a reminder:

Actually, the thread is getting pretty sidetracked, and we are commenting on things that are off topic. No one really forgot anything.

Besides, the OP hasn't posted a response to our suggestions yet, so we just wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.