Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javajoelradio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2024
Digitizing the vinyl collection to WAV files. Have a turntable going into my pre-amp/receiver. Receiver going into my USB Audio Interface (a Behringer UFO202). Vinyl is coming thru loud and clear, but I am unable to adjust levels going INTO the USB Codec and therefore, the Mac itself. This can make for some distorted/clipping audio files. Not ideal.

After searching high and low for a fix- Now i'm told Apple doesn't "allow" this anymore????

So- WHAT do people use to transfer vinyl to WAV. Is there a simple USB Interface that can get me from a Sony Reciever (early 90s) to MAC- WITH level options??? Seems like a simple task. This is so frustrating.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Have you tried setting the line/phono switch on the back to 'line'?
Your phono catridge might be a 'hi-output' type, and the line input might suit it better.

U-PHONO UFO202 User Manual

Edit: sorry, I see that you're using the receiver as phono in. Even so, more so, the switch should be set to 'Line'. And the output from the receiver should be a 'Tape out' or similar.

Have you tried to feed the record player directly to the UFO202, and set the little switch to 'phono'?

Last edited:

javajoelradio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2024
Still doesn't give me a way to manually adjust the input level going into the Mac/Adobe Audition recorder. Some records are mastered low, others too high. To get maximum quality, the source material should be coming in at a consistent rate from record to record. The latest versions of MacOS make it darn near impossible. My old MAC did it no problem. Here... It's not an option.

My answer was "Yes". Yes, i tried using the direct method. It still doesn't give me an option of adjusting the level. Either via a switch or knob on the unit itself or via settings in the Mac or in either recording app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.