Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tjwardach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
Has anyone been able to connect their electric (bass) guitar directly to the Mac via USBC and execute sound from GarageBand? Do I really need to purchase the usb interface adapter to connect my guitar?

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Has anyone been able to connect their electric (bass) guitar directly to the Mac via USBC and execute sound from GarageBand? Do I really need to purchase the usb interface adapter to connect my guitar?
That won't work due to the way that audio signals work. Plus, I don't know of any cable that goes from 1/4" TRS to USB-C. You need an audio interface, or an amp that you can throw a mic in front of.

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
that's impossible because mac's don't have traditional audio IO.
and those traditional audio io's too require external guitar pre-amplifier.
there are few that can withstand connecting an electric guitar directly.

that one will help. it has a guitar preamp built into the plug. but I don't know anyone who uses such things.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
You need an audio interface. Avoid buying ultra-cheap rubbish. Make your minimum standard something like a Scarlet Solo. It's definitely not cost effective to try to 'get by' with something less capable that will just entirely spoil your experience and put you off for life.

Reactions: rm5

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I make music demos for studios.
My setup is
1. Mac
2. USB Scarlett Solo (3rd version)
3. Jackson guitar and a cable.

I do recording both in GB and Logic.
BTW I monitor sound through wired headphones, connected to USB Scarlett Solo.
Bluetooth is not recommended due to lag issues.
All works.
I assume that you use an electric guitar.
Similar setup but with a mike, can be also setup for acoustic guitar (but it will sound like electric).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.