Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evilzardoz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Heya,

I've got a 2013 Mac Pro I am trying to run up as a VMware ESXi host. The problem is that both dGPUs (D500s) in the system are running at full power, so the idle power draw is around 117W. If I try to assign the secondary GPU to a VM via VT-D, I can get that down to around 77W.

But I can't assign the primary GPU to a VM, nor can I do direct PCI-E passthrough on it for a guest VM. When running macOS natively, idle use is around 47W. I'd expect the same, or less, with ESXi running idle.

Is there any way I can shut down the GPUs in this thing to get my power usage down?

evilzardoz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
The issue with the GPUs is that EFI takes over the primary GPU at a minimum, so I can't do anything about it unless I can disable it in EFI somehow, but I'm not across the specifics of how to do that on the Mac platform. I've asked around on some VMware forums but haven't asked on the official ones yet.

I can repro the same issue on my Mac Pro 2012 systems as well - but fortunately I have greater control over what GPU I put in those - or I can them headless.

I do require internal storage - the trash can I have is optioned with a 1TB SSD which screams for VMware and is half the reason I want to use it for ESXi.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
You might want to hunt around on the x86/linux forums. There might be a CLI you can build that can do it. Which ESXi are you running?

You'd have to search for something weird, like "disable video card hackintosh" or something like that. My guess is that you'll find it on a "linux on mac pro 6,1" thread.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Heya,

I've got a 2013 Mac Pro I am trying to run up as a VMware ESXi host. The problem is that both dGPUs (D500s) in the system are running at full power, so the idle power draw is around 117W. If I try to assign the secondary GPU to a VM via VT-D, I can get that down to around 77W.

But I can't assign the primary GPU to a VM, nor can I do direct PCI-E passthrough on it for a guest VM. When running macOS natively, idle use is around 47W. I'd expect the same, or less, with ESXi running idle.

Is there any way I can shut down the GPUs in this thing to get my power usage down?
I've never used VMware ESXi, but if it uses a Linux kernel, you may have luck disabling the primary video card by adding this to your kernel boot arguments:

Code:
video=efifb:off

fnwbr

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2023
Berlin
@evilzardoz Did you ever manage to figure this out? I'm running two trash cans as Proxmox hosts; and I'm interested in reducing power consumption by disabling the GPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.