Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ap60019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
South West, England
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_2030.JPG

It seems that Disney are at it again and have completely removed Mary Poppins from the iTunes Store.

I don't know if this is an isolated case, one movie in the U.K. or not, but I am now unable to redownload Mary Poppins from the iTunes Store on iPad or Mac, nor can I access it on Apple TV 4.

This is not the first time something like this has happened - https://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/2...es-from-itunes-store-and-itunes-in-the-cloud/

I would appreciate it if there is anyone out there who can back this up for me. I have reached out to Apple who confirmed that is is no longer available in the UK, I have logged feedback with Apple as well to make their iTunes Store team aware of the problem and I am currently working through the idiot level of Disney UK's customer feedback team, who have so far said it's Apples responsibility not theirs.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
This is why I would never purchase a film from the iTunes Store. :(

If you do buy them from Apple, always make sure you download a backup copy to your computer in case this happens.

Yep same here. When I buy something I require a copy under my control. Either an optical disc or copy on a hard drive. And really HDDs are so cheap there's no excuse.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Give it some time, I'm sure it will be sorted out. Even the article you quoted mentioned at the bottom in an update that Disney was going to work with those that already purchased it. I have Lion King in my library and it still works fine, after it was pulled when that article was written over 3 years ago. It could very well just be a server issue. It seems to be working fine in the US Store.

ap60019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
South West, England
I don't think the replies about not buying stuff from iTunes are very helpful. People get content from iTunes because they want access to it on any device at any time... that's what Apple advertise.

I know this is 'allowed' in the terms and conditions and it's an individual choice to make, but unless situations like this are called out it is the less informed public who will suffer (especially with other services catching on besides Apple).

I don't want to have to carry around a portable hard drive to watch any of my movies (how is this different to carrying around DVDs).

As to this being 'sorted out' I'm sure it will be, but only when people start calling out problems like this. And I would argue that Apple need to make it very clear to people when items are being removed from the store so they can choose to download a copy if they wish. (Especially because in most instances this would stop idiots at Disney et al from doing stupid things like this).

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
I think Disney are one of the better studios due to Disney Movies Anywhere which means their content bought from one platform (e.g. iTunes) can port to others (e.g. Vudu)

Reactions: Mlrollin91

dontlookback82

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
View attachment 687570 View attachment 687571

It seems that Disney are at it again and have completely removed Mary Poppins from the iTunes Store.

I don't know if this is an isolated case, one movie in the U.K. or not, but I am now unable to redownload Mary Poppins from the iTunes Store on iPad or Mac, nor can I access it on Apple TV 4.

This is not the first time something like this has happened - https://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/2...es-from-itunes-store-and-itunes-in-the-cloud/

I would appreciate it if there is anyone out there who can back this up for me. I have reached out to Apple who confirmed that is is no longer available in the UK, I have logged feedback with Apple as well to make their iTunes Store team aware of the problem and I am currently working through the idiot level of Disney UK's customer feedback team, who have so far said it's Apples responsibility not theirs.

I haven't tried on my Apple TV, but this is working on my Mac.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Thought I'd do a google search and follow the iTunes link.
cedbfc359fd5c9c5233559029cb4bf6a.jpg

Seriously considering getting a hard drive myself to backup all my purchases.
Not ideal as hardly turn on the laptop we have so slightly makes the AppleTV experience less convenient, especially as AppleTV is pretty much a advertised as a standalone box.

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I agree that if you're going to buy on iTunes it is worth making a local copy of your purchases. Only a tiny fraction of my movie purchases are in iTunes, but I always make sure to download a copy just so I know I have it.

Hopefully this will return once the wind changes.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have nothing but my fading memory to back this up but I think this is the method Disney has used for years...going back to pre-videotape days...re-releasing a classic film so that each "release" is an event.

Reactions: atmenterprises

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
Thought I'd do a google search and follow the iTunes link.
cedbfc359fd5c9c5233559029cb4bf6a.jpg

Seriously considering getting a hard drive myself to backup all my purchases.
Not ideal as hardly turn on the laptop we have so slightly makes the AppleTV experience less convenient, especially as AppleTV is pretty much a advertised as a standalone box.

I would suggest multiple backups of your media, Back up to a HDD and get a cloud backup for DR, You just never know what may happen and try getting your home owners or renters insurance to replace 200 digitally downloaded movies.

Reactions: satcomer

mjwatt

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2017
I would suggest multiple backups of your media, Back up to a HDD and get a cloud backup for DR, You just never know what may happen and try getting your home owners or renters insurance to replace 200 digitally downloaded movies.

Totally agree! Nothing is too much when it comes to backing up your data. Movies, programs, photos - I try to store everything at least in three places. HDD is reliable until you lose or drown it, and cloud backup is really long to perform, especially when we speak of movies. Good old DVD will also be a choice, if you wish to have a compilation of your favorite Disney movies.

Reactions: satcomer

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
Totally agree! Nothing is too much when it comes to backing up your data. Movies, programs, photos - I try to store everything at least in three places. HDD is reliable until you lose or drown it, and cloud backup is really long to perform, especially when we speak of movies. Good old DVD will also be a choice, if you wish to have a compilation of your favorite Disney movies.

Took me 4 months to backup my system to Crashplan, And I let it run 1 time a week to update the inventory of music, TV and movies. That run is usually over a day.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This is basically a variation of a lesson in renting vs. owning. If you own, you have a level of control of the product that is superior to renting the same product (where someone else has that level of control). Renting works in the moment, giving the renter the illusion of having upwards of every bit of the same benefits as an owner. However, stop paying rent and things change quickly. OR if the owner decides they want to do something else with what you are renting, they ARE the owner, so they can generally do what they want with THEIR property.

In this case, iTunes "purchases" are really rentals. And the owners have greater control over the product we rent from them. Opting to store our "purchase" in the cloud just sets ourselves up for that owner deciding to do something with their product like drop it from the store. And if they do that, the renter has little they can do about it. Thus, this suggestion of possession of a copy is very important. Possess a copy and you DO have options if a Studio makes any move like this. Trust the cloud and you're just begging for this kind of thing to happen at the whim of any Studio at any time. Recall one of the early battles over pricing in which (I think it was) Universal temporarily pulled much of their content from iTunes. Does any of us think that can't happen again... at just about any time?

In all the other threads, beware of spinning pro-cloud arguments. Doing so is trusting strangers to be caretakers of your files, photos, music, movies, data, etc. Hopefully those strangers are good, reliable, dependable caretakers that will always be there. But since you can't know that that is the case, you are gambling on any of these "the future is the cloud" arguments if you actually follow through.

Personally, I see the cloud as a convenience only but not to be a trusted store of any data and/or especially any digital anything I've purchased from iTunes or any other source. Local copy(s) is the only way to retain ownership confidence. Else, even if you are buying digital content, you are allowing middlemen strangers into the connection to that content. Why inject for-profit middlemen strangers in such as way that you have to depend on them when massive storage on a local drive is dirt cheap?

The lesson implied by this thread should be learned by all. The cloud offers convenience but one should not set themselves up with any dependency on it. If you lost all of your cloud services today, what would you lose that you could not recover by some action of your own? If it's anything important to you, work on your backup strategy to correct that deficiency. Else, it's your fault for ignoring a lesson you were probably taught as a very young child: don't trust strangers.

mjwatt

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2017
Took me 4 months to backup my system to Crashplan, And I let it run 1 time a week to update the inventory of music, TV and movies. That run is usually over a day.

Why so long? I'm too impatient to wait the whole day for a clone to be made. I always use Get Backup and even the first backup wasn't so long. And now I run it every week and it is fast - only updates the changed files, so no waiting there.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I have nothing but my fading memory to back this up but I think this is the method Disney has used for years...going back to pre-videotape days...re-releasing a classic film so that each "release" is an event.

But the fear here isn't about withdrawing titles from sale - it's about withdrawing purchases after the sale. You're right Disney has long employed a system where title go 'back in the vault', but if titles were intentionally removed from people who had already purchased them the analogy is more like they came round to your house and took your VHS tape, DVD or BD away.

But I don't think this is what that is anyway, it's likely some error or temporary issue with access to the file I would think. But like before, it does serve as a reminder to the risks of trusting others with the storage of a purchase, and the limited rights you have over such purchases.

theatremusician

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
I don't want to have to carry around a portable hard drive to watch any of my movies (how is this different to carrying around DVDs).

If you carry a 2TB portable drive, you can carry many hundreds of movies and TV episodes in a package no larger than a phone.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Open iTunes on your PC/Mac. Go to Store and Purchases. Select the hidden option and see if it is there. Sometimes, for whatever reasons, content get "hidden"

If it is there, then download it.

Also.... if available in the U.K., get a Disney Movies Anywhere account and link it to your iTunes account. I believe even if Apple loses the right to stream it, it should still be available on Disney's service.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Open iTunes on your PC/Mac. Go to Store and Purchases. Select the hidden option and see if it is there. Sometimes, for whatever reasons, content get "hidden"
Yes, that's definitely worth checking. Last year suddenly some random episodes of one of my TV shows were suddently hidden. Probably some bug in Apple's backend. After "unhiding" them everything was back to normal.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015

How much data do you have saved with them? I am looking for a good backup service and that seems pretty reasonable. Checked out Amazon's unlimited storage and wasn't convinced that I could store my movies or that they wouldn't cut me off after a TB or so (I'm over 10 TB right now and growing),

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015

Seems this was only temporary as Mary Poppins is back on iTunes.
0aef72a5369df41424dbcd4e243635d6.jpg

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
This is basically a variation of a lesson in renting vs. owning. If you own, you have a level of control of the product that is superior to renting the same product (where someone else has that level of control). Renting works in the moment, giving the renter the illusion of having upwards of every bit of the same benefits as an owner. <...> if the owner decides they want to do something else with what you are renting, they ARE the owner, so they can generally do what they want with THEIR property.

Basically you just dismissed the validity of enforceable contracts, which is one of the supporting pillars of western capitalism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.