Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Basically you just dismissed the validity of enforceable contracts, which is one of the supporting pillars of western capitalism.

Really? You're going to blow what I contributed that much out of proportion? For what exactly?

The intended message was a good poke at renting vs. owning and at "trusting strangers" as data caretakers "in the cloud" over having your files & data on a local drive and being your own caretaker. I was not trying to bring down western capitalism nor even damage a pillar. :rolleyes:

This whole thread is mostly about the consequences of someone opting to trust third parties- Apple & Studios- to deliver ownership-like benefits in a rental-like arrangement that breaks with tradition and allows those third parties to position themselves in between that someone and some media. It's trusting for-profit corporations to be caretaker of media instead of just buying that media and being our own caretakers (as it has long been with this particular kind of product). It's allowing what amounts to strangers to squeeze themselves in between owners & property in such a way that the owner can potentially lose control of that property... at either stranger's whim... at any point in time.

If your effort to twist or blow something that far out of proportion is because you are leaping to Apple's defense, you are mistaken in believing I was attacking Apple. Instead, I was questioning the logic of renting vs. owning where the economic benefit is relatively slight... AND questioning the logic of trusting third-party data caretakers when probably just about anyone can store all of the media they've accumulated in their entire life on a dirt cheap hard drive (or two) they completely control so that this kind of thing could not happen.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This is why I would never purchase a film from the iTunes Store. :(

If you do buy them from Apple, always make sure you download a backup copy to your computer in case this happens.

As opposed to what?

Assuming you take the incentive to keep your own copy it rivals a physical copy (in terms of owning it, not quality). I can safely say I would never purchase a film from the iTunes Store and NOT keep my own copy of it. But even if it was a 1 time download (for a fair rate) I would still consider it a valid source of getting films.

OP: Were you aware Disney has done this before you found Mary Poppins no longer available? This could fall into that, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.....category. Definitely make a copy of Disney stuff even things remotely affiliated to them.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
So do you guys download a copy of your movie to an external hard drive? If apple "took" the movie away, wouldn't it not play anyways since it is linked to your account?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
So do you guys download a copy of your movie to an external hard drive? If apple "took" the movie away, wouldn't it not play anyways since it is linked to your account?

If it is local, it will always play.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Has anyone contact apple support on this? If they removed it, why not ask for a refund on the movie?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I really wish the OP will actually mark that they are in the UK in the topic. I just bought this movie and got nervous that it was gone but it is still available on all my services Amazon, iTunes, Vudu, MSStore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.