Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I have a 2014 15" MBP running 10.13.6. I'm looking for a dimmer that will give me finer control between 0 and 1 than I have now (0 is 'display off', 1 is too bright for nighttime use).

I tried Dimmer on the App Store, and it doesn't work well for me (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I can't figure out the pattern).

There are more modern brightness control apps, like Lunar, but they don't work on High Sierra.

Here's what I found in the App Store that works on High Sierra. Anyone have experience with these, or any other suggestions? Ideally I'd like something that's integrated into the brightness control on the keyboard itself, i.e., that adds extra steps at the bottom.

Work at night

Screen shade

Screen dimmer

Brightness widget

I'm hoping for replies from folks who've had personal experience with one of the dimmer apps (those above or any others), so I can know which are worth trying and which to avoid.

I do use f.lux to decrease the color temp, and also invert the colors, but those are still not quite enough.

Last edited:

MacGeekYYC

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2018
Calgary
This may not have exactly the functionality you have described, but nothing else leaps to mind that might still be available for High Sierra - perhaps give HazeOver a try.

A High Sierra version is still available for download from the developer web site.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
This may not have exactly the functionality you have described, but nothing else leaps to mind that might still be available for High Sierra - perhaps give HazeOver a try.

A High Sierra version is still available for download from the developer web site.

Unfortunately, that's not what I'm looking for. Here's its description in the app store:
1693942461043.png

tragicwinding

Suspended
May 23, 2023
I get where you're coming from with the need for a finer display dimmer on your 2014 MacBook Pro running High Sierra. It can be a bit of a hassle when the available options don't quite match your preferences.
I know I'm a bit late, but, if you are still looking for options, I think you might find heyfocus worth a shot. It does a great job of minimizing distractions by highlighting the front app window while dimming the background ones. I like it because it helps me create a more focused workspace and makes me forget about funny cat videos at least for half an hour:)

macsforme

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
You can hold option and shift while adjusting the brightness (including the fn-key, if needed) to adjust the brightness in quarter step increments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.