Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talino

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Hi,

I have a 2007 13" MacBook which I use to drive an external video projector via a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter (external video monitor set to 1080p@24Hz). It manages 1080p, just barely, with some hiccups on complex material. But the signal itself is a nice, clean (and pretty) 1080p.

I thought that upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard, with a clean (formatted) install, would somehow get rid of some junk background processes and make the machine run a bit smoother.

However, since installing SL, performance in 1080p is even worse than it was — the video has a deal-breaking "strobe" effect (i.e. the video updates only every 2nd or 3rd frame).

Mirroring the display instead of using a secondary monitor plays smoothly, but then of course I don't get 1080p.

What could possibly be the cause of this? Is SL a downgrade in terms of performance with 2007 machines? Can anything be done with the graphics subsystem to make it run better?

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.