Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you buy Wi-Fi+Cellular versions of iPads or Wi-Fi Only?

• I only buy Wi-Fi Only iPads.

Votes: 292 49.2%
  • I only buy Wi-Fi+Cellular iPads.

Votes: 143 24.1%
  • One or more of my iPads have been Wi-Fi+Cellular. But I usually buy Wi-Fi Only.

Votes: 107 18.0%
  • One or more of my iPads have been Wi-Fi Only. But I usually buy Wi-Fi+Cellular.

Votes: 46 7.8%
  • My iPads were always given to me and/or I have never bought an iPad.

Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
With the sole exception of the first generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro, Apple has sold every single model and configuration of iPad both with Cellular connectivity options and without. I've owned more Wi-Fi models of 9.7 and larger iPads than I have cellular models; but the vast majority of my iPad minis over the years have been cellular. What has been your connectivity preference when buying your iPad(s)?
I've owned several iPads over the years since the OG model. Always Wi-Fi. I went cellular this time with the M4. Plan on using my iPad heavily moving forward and want to be connected without seeking Wi-Fi or using a hotspot (which my cellular plan doesn't even offer).

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have only had one other iPad and that is the 1st generation iPad Air it was just wifi. At the time I purchased it I did not have a cell phone, later I purchased a Verizon MiFi when I took the iPad out of the house. I retired this iPad not long after I purchased my first iPhone a 6S. With the iPad Pro M4 getting it cell enabled is a total no brainer. I have a crapola DSL connection at the house, which is about 12 mbps, It has enough bandwidth for most things. But Verizon now has 5G mw in Cheyenne, so on my iPhone I can get 300+ mbps, and never less than 100 mbps. With my unlimited plan from Verizon it works great. The iPad pro M4 is getting into MacBook Pro territory, With the M4 Pro paired with my Mac Studio it is going to be great.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I strongly recommend that if you're going cellular, you do it through the cellular provider that is NOT your iPhone. I often find myself in places where AT&T works but not Verizon, or vice-versa. Having one device of each increases the odds of getting good connectivity in areas without good coverage.
But If I go through a new provider, I pay €25 for just 1gb. Adding it to my current iPhone plan, I pay €5 per month, get 1Gb AND can add 50Gb from my iPhone (which is unlimited).
Used to get data share sims for free now they want $25AUD a month here, so only buy wifi now.
That is without a iPhone plan? or regardless?
I never buy cellular iPads. I always buy WiFi only and tether from my iPhone. I have unlimited data and unlimited tethering so I find that to be more cost effective. I also work from home so don’t even use it on commutes. Most of my usage is at home where I have unlimited WiFi.
But with 40min tethering my iphone drains like crazy. And in the past it wasn’t a stable connection that often needed to be reconnected or even needed to restart both devices. Rather a pain in the proverbial place.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Once again, iPad without cellular is a flawed product
I’d argue a cellular iPad without a sim slot is a flawed product. In some countries, plans available on eSim are not competitively priced at all, with limited choice. Some users wanting to use eSim have reported activation issues, so the physical slot was a handy backup.

Sucks to be limited to WiFi only in certain situations, but I will not pay a premium for something that isn’t what I want.

Reactions: geta

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
According to Apple support Apple eSim can support 2 active cell accounts, and a total of 8 profiles that you can activate in turn. So there is no need to have another device provisioned for a 2nd provider.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
According to Apple support Apple eSim can support 2 active cell accounts, and a total of 8 profiles that you can activate in turn. So there is no need to have another device provisioned for a 2nd provider.

That’s for iPhones (Dual SIM Dual Standby).

On iPads, you can only have one SIM/eSIM active at any given time. You can store multiple eSIM profiles though. I think it’s actually 8 or more (depending on how large the carrier profiles are).

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I get the impression that most in the US opt for cellular while the UK opts for WiFi only?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Most folks everywhere opt for wifi only.

I'd guess most of cellular iPad sales come from corporate purchases rather than individual consumers.

I have considered cellular (my iPad mini is cellular) but for the few times I go away on holiday or for the weekend I just tether to my iPhone. And when away I don’t tend to spend long periods of time on my iPad. I mean, unless you’re away and have to work on your iPad I don’t think you’ll use it a lot? For movies you can always download to watch offline?

Bungleaio

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
UK
The vast majority of the time my iPad will be at home or abroad. If I'm out ill just hot-spot off my phone so for me having cellular is an unnecessary expense

Reactions: AVBeatMan

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
That’s for iPhones (Dual SIM Dual Standby).

On iPads, you can only have one SIM/eSIM active at any given time. You can store multiple eSIM profiles though. I think it’s actually 8 or more (depending on how large the carrier profiles are).
One eSim at a time or 8 plus profiles. How do you switch to one of the profiles you have stored. That can be handy in my area because Verizon does not have complete coverage in Wyoming, Montana, and Nebraska.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
One eSim at a time or 8 plus profiles. How do you switch to one of the profiles you have stored. That can be handy in my area because Verizon does not have complete coverage in Wyoming, Montana, and Nebraska.

Pretty easy. Just go to Settings - Cellular Data and choose the SIM you want there. You can even sign up for plans directly from Settings: Add a New Plan which has both select local and roaming providers, and monthly and pay as you go plans.

iPad eSIM.png

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
As I said above it is the disparity of speeds I have that make the cellular option a no brainer, 12 mbps DSL, 300+ mbps 5Gmmw. I used my old ipad with a Verizon MiFi hotspot for navigation a couple of times. It was totally unexceptable. With the first iPhone getting voice directions was a game changer.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
1. especially with the removal of mmWave in the new models you technically would have faster speeds hotspotting to a device that still supports it

2. I have personally found much faster draining of battery when using a cellular iPad than hotspotting it.

3. Someone mentioned an iPad is meant to be portable. The same argument can be said about MacBook 13/14" but I don't see you pushing for data connectivity in those

4. "but you arethen draining your phone battery" I have gone 6hrs of spotting my MacBook to my iPhone and drained it insignificantly. If you really travel around that much then charging your hotspotting device in your car should be a viable option

5. "but I have crappy data on my iPhone" so I have another provider providing data on my iPad... then maybe you should be switching providers for you iPhone as well.

6. Some out there that can justify 2tb instead of 1tb even though they hover around 512 usage so in the same sense what is wrong with paying 10-15% more for a cellular model they might never need

7. with family sharing hotspotting, the process is so straightforward in getting your iPad automatically connected

the iPad mini was truely the only device I got a data SIM card in cause there were many times I was able to leave the house with just the mini and my apple watch

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
My solution to the battery issue is Anker, They have a whole series of well made battery powered chargers. I Have a number of them. They can all charge up an iPad, or an iPhone several times, the larger ones I have will even charge up a laptop a couple of times. They can all be charged up by on of Anker's solar chargers. Here is one of the ones I have, wonderful devices.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The iPad mini was truly the only device I got a data SIM card in cause there were many times I was able to leave the house with just the mini and my apple watch
I am waiting for an updated iPad Mini, The 13" iPad Pro would be very awkward to use as carry around portable device. The Mini is just right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.