Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Long story short. Was on trip with my girlfriend. In late December 2023 she got her iPhone 11 battery replaced in official Apple service in Hague. The original battery had all signs of premature death: overheating, only 73% capacity, as well as it was holding charge for 2.5 hours at max.

Three days ago my gf notices that Face ID stopped recognizing her face which never happened before. I somehow didn’t really pay attention to it because I thought Face ID might need to be re-calibrated again.

And how wrong I was!

The next day after phone was charged with original Apple 10 watt power adapter and cable it looked like that:

1714477635337.jpeg

I mean, is this okay to expect from official Apple service? Battery even shows official software label in About section:

1714477855637.jpeg

I know many people would argue and say “any battery can do this” or “there are manufacturing faults everywhere. Even Tesla burns!”. But I mean, Apple got best quality control whatsoever. It never happened to me with any original Apple battery that they put when phones were assembled at the factories.

I have had a lot of iPhones and used them so extensively that batteries overheated all the times. Yet those never bloated.

I suspect this battery was not original and that this service label is nothing more than fake software label. Maybe service engineers somehow fooled the system and put fake battery inside and made it to look like it was actually replaced.

Battery controller was definitely dead because battery was “charging itself” and showing rising percents when the phone was actively used. And then it could shut down at random moments too.

Moreover. You can see in the pictures that service engineers didn’t even care to replace the original seals that help with water resistance. Is that supposed to be done at additional cost?

1714478410138.jpeg

And I mean this is not a quality of replacement to expect for 99€.

Because we had to board a plane it was risky to get this phone at higher altitudes and pose a risk to us and other passengers so we could not bring it back to Hague to hear at least some explanations from Apple representatives.

We found a decent local service and just for 33€ they replaced the battery. And with this “non-genuine part” phone at least seems to keep cool while being used and it does not drain like crazy. Feels as new again.

Have you had similar experiences with official Apple services? AITA to expect official Apple batteries not to swell?

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Even batteries from reputable sources can fail and swell. I've had a brand new batteries turn up swollen (not from Apple). It's just something that happens, unfortunately. I'm sure that Apple would've fixed it had you taken in back to them (or any other official service provider).

Reactions: Helmsley

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I've had Apple (original) batteries swell when failing - I see no reason to expect replacement Apple batteries to not swell. It's just the nature of the lithium-ion technology.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You'll find cases of original iPhones swelling after 4-6 months. What you're seeing isn't uncommon.

The battery is literally a $5 cost to Apple. In terms of safety, it'll swell but it's not dangerous. People seem to think because it's swelling, it's a bomb that will explode. It isn't.

I suspect this battery was not original and that this service label is nothing more than fake software label. Maybe service engineers somehow fooled the system and put fake battery inside and made it to look like it was actually replaced.

It's a genuine battery. To fake that service label would require welding (not soldering) a BMS board to an old battery. Then reprogramming or adding a tag-on flex cable. It's way too much work. Apple Store doesn't have the equipment.

Reactions: shadowboi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.