Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loke2112

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
3 blocks off the Atlantic
If iOS is set to do not disturb mode and the phone is being used to stream music or nighttime sleep sounds should the stream be interrupted by the vibration of an inbound email? It is on my phone I am wondering if anybody else has noticed the same thing.

Loke2112

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
I just bumped this to see if anyone could shed some light. Why so I get woken up by the sound of a new email when in do not disturb mode? Things that make me go hmmmmmm.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If iOS is set to do not disturb mode and the phone is being used to stream music or nighttime sleep sounds should the stream be interrupted by the vibration of an inbound email? It is on my phone I am wondering if anybody else has noticed the same thing.

Is your phone locked, or do you have it unlocked while streaming the sound?

Loke2112

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Usually I have some type of clock going on the night stand when it happens. Sometimes I'm streaming sound sometimes not. Either way I get that damn email sound???

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Usually I have some type of clock going on the night stand when it happens. Sometimes I'm streaming sound sometimes not. Either way I get that damn email sound???

The phone must be locked for Do Not Disturb to work. AKA, in the condition where, to use the phone, you must "slide to unlock." Not trying to be rude, just trying to explain my point and the function :D

If you have a clock going on the nightstand (if you have a clock app showing on your phone), then your phone is not locked and Do Not Disturb will not work.

Loke2112

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Thanks Tyler and that sucks!!! Guess ill do airplane mode again and hope my parents and siblings have emergencies only during proper communication hours lol!

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
another option, just turn data off instead of turning on airplane mode and they can still call or text...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looks like with iOS 7 Do Not Disturb can be enabled to work when the phone is unlocked too, so that should help in cases like this.

Loke2112

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Looks like with iOS 7 Do Not Disturb can be enabled to work when the phone is unlocked too, so that should help in cases like this.

Well that would be sweet. Considering the iPhone had virtually replaced the alarm clock one should be able to use it that way without being disturbed by email spam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.