Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
SC
Without typing a long posts, in short, Podcasts syncing for me is like a dumpster fire worse than Reddit and has been that way for years. For example, say I have 50 podcasts shows I follow (many less than 5 minutes). And say I have around 100 or 150 episodes I may potentially listen to or mark as played to clear out of my station. Everything seems to be going fine on macOS, I listened to some episodes in my office while working, etc. Now I'm down to 20 or episodes left. I go about my day.

Then, I open iOS or iPadOS in the evening at home or in my truck on the way home, and it is like syncing has a complete meltdown. Now I have 4,000 unplayed episodes. CNN News alerts now says I haven't played a single one since 2022. Science Friday thinks I haven't listened since 2021. Hoping my other device has some hope for me, I open the app there and it is completely different. CNN and Science Friday might reflect accident played/unplayed statuses, but now the other device says I haven't listened to a single show of GTD with David Allen when I know the day before at work I listened to the last one published and was completely caught up.

Now multiply that times 100. I want to use Podcasts so bad. I love keeping things simple and sticking with native apps except for beefier apps I use for work. But after several years of trying and giving up and trying and giving up, I want to pull my hair out and scream "How can Apple know the split second I hit play on Apple Music on my phone and therefore pause Apple Music on my Mac (only one user subscription), yet the podcasts app can’t keep straight if I have listened to all episodes of Macruomors podcast or if I have 100 unplayed. It truly baffles me to no end.

Happens on all devices, all OSes, after sign outs and sign in, after getting new devices and setting up as new device, nothing--NOTHING-- has seemed to fix this problem.

Please tell me, please give me hope, someone--anyone--that this fall will be there year that Apple Podcasts will sync like iCould Drive, Apple Mail, and virtually every other Apple app that requires more than one device to have a clue as to what the other has done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.