Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you don’t mind losing all game progress, don’t worry about it. But if you do, locate the game save folder, establish a second game saves folder on a seperate hard drive, or in the cloud, and copy/paste it especially for building type games where you may have vested a couple hundred hours creating your masterpiece. ;)

I follow this strategy, and recently I noticed that ARK:Survival Evolved was no longer updating. I had a update ready to be installed, but it kept giving me an error. As this is a steam game, I wiped the download cache (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638), and validated the local files (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335), but that did not help, so I ended up installing the game from scratch.

When I relaunched the game, it wanted me to create a new survivor, which is a pain because, and this is partially my fault for installing the game on a different hard drive. It’s conceivable that if I had put it back where it originally was, my survivor, would have been preserved. All the infrastructure may have remained, but under this circumstance maybe not, but at a minimum, I would have to use console commands to reestablish ownership of my base. Instead I whooped out my game save, replaced the new games save, and vualaa, my survivor was restored! :):)

PS I don’t depend on Steam Clould saves, (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6736-QEIG-8941) and I am a bit aggravated with myself, that I did not try that this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coloratura

Coloratura

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
United States
I have Steam games, and yeah, it drives me nuts trying to backup save games for Steam, because while some games have the game saves in an easy to find location, other games keep them in document files, in registry files, all over the place, so when the inevitable Windows crash would happen, I would have to dig around in my backups and hope I had them somewhere, and even then, half the time the game save wouldn't function properly because it was missing a registry key I knew nothing about.

I'm on a Mac now, but there still needs to be a better way to backup game saves on Steam.

/end rant

Reactions: yangm and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have Steam games, and yeah, it drives me nuts trying to backup save games for Steam, because while some games have the game saves in an easy to find location, other games keep them in document files, in registry files, all over the place, so when the inevitable Windows crash would happen, I would have to dig around in my backups and hope I had them somewhere, and even then, half the time the game save wouldn't function properly because it was missing a registry key I knew nothing about.

I'm on a Mac now, but there still needs to be a better way to backup game saves on Steam.

/end rant
It’s fairly easy to locate a game’s save folder. I usually just goggle it. :)

Coloratura

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
United States
It’s fairly easy to locate a game’s save folder. I usually just goggle it. :)
Some game saves are located in really odd places, though, and tracking them all down, syncing them up to be backed up just in case is a pain in the neck, though. Some game saves won't work if there isn't a key in the Windows registry, for example. It's just silliness.

Reactions: Huntn

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I luckily haven't had problems with Steam cloud saves. I do manually backup my Dark Souls 3 save mostly because I've read of glitchers/hackers being able to corrupt your save file. DS3 doesn't use Steam cloud saves. I just have a shortcut on my desktop to the DS3 save file location - something\something\Roaming\DarkSoulsIII. I just copy and paste the DarkSoulsIII file to my desktop after a lengthy session.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I luckily haven't had problems with Steam cloud saves. I do manually backup my Dark Souls 3 save mostly because I've read of glitchers/hackers being able to corrupt your save file. DS3 doesn't use Steam cloud saves. I just have a shortcut on my desktop to the DS3 save file location - something\something\Roaming\DarkSoulsIII. I just copy and paste the DarkSoulsIII file to my desktop after a lengthy session.
I have a row of game-save shortcuts on my desktop and below them a row of backup save locations, drag and paste.

Reactions: itsOver9000

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
I can't save to Steam, so I'm lost as far as keeping tags on games. Many years ago I saved to my son's email address, so daft of me...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can't save to Steam, so I'm lost as far as keeping tags on games. Many years ago I saved to my son's email address, so daft of me...
You can backup most PC/Mac game saves to a file on your computer or an external drive or a thumb drive, or the cloud. If you want more info, let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.