Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Pros carry two bodies for all the reasons mentioned at points in previous answers. You can have a different lens on each body, each camera set up differently should you wish too. This saves time switching lenses, and reduces the risk of dust on the sensor. The biggest reason for having two bodies imo is as a backup: mechanical things fail/damaged - simple as.

Agreed.

I've been carrying multiple cameras (and sometimes two SLR bodies) for awhile now.

One of the main reasons to carry 'multiples' is this "what if something breaks?" factor. Depending on what you're doing, you might be hours or days away from someplace where you can get the gear repaired (or replaced). As such, failing to have a backup means lost time, probably lost money, etc, for whatever you're doing.

Depending on your needs, budget, etc, I do want to point out that a P&S can be a viable backup alternative to an SLR. Even if you want to go into the "its not as good as an SLR" debate, clearly, a P&S is clearly far better than having nothing...it can be cheap insurance, even if it isn't pendantically as capable. Besides, its nice to have a pocket camera for when you don't want to haul around the bigma.

For SLRs, I only have one digital body, so my 'backup' is one of my older film bodies. Nevertheless, there are advantages to this in that I would typically have one camera set up with each a different focal length lens. This makes swaps fast ... and dust free.

Which one is more important varies on your application: the trip to Africa last summer made dust the overriding factor, whereas my niece's wedding this summer made fast swaps important.

Plus since the film isn't a crop body, I still have a 20mm WA capability, although I do need to get that film digitized during developing. Its a reasonably fair trade-off to live with until the price of the Canon 5D (full frame dSLR) comes down to my price range.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.