Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you feel "What happens on your iPhone stays on your iPhone" is false advertising?

• Yes

Votes: 157 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 74 32.0%

• Total voters

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
They still install their database and likely search my photos without consent to create their hashes for comparison in case I switch on iCloud.

I want a clear opt out option to keep my phone totally private from their database and inspection software.

More than once, especially after an update, I have found Settings to have changed. Yes, even iCloud backup switches.
It happens.

• Love
Reactions: Jemani and dszakal

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The following is from the current iCloud services agreement which I am guessing many here didn't read before turning on the service, much less the average user on the street who doesn't keep up with all the nerd type details others here do.

"E. Access to Your Account and Content

Apple reserves the right to take steps Apple believes are reasonably necessary or appropriate to enforce and/or verify compliance with any part of this Agreement. You acknowledge and agree that Apple may, without liability to you, access, use, preserve and/or disclose your Account information and Content to law enforcement authorities, government officials, and/or a third party, as Apple believes is reasonably necessary or appropriate, if legally required to do so or if Apple has a good faith belief that such access, use, disclosure, or preservation is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process or request; (b) enforce this Agreement, including investigation of any potential violation thereof; (c) detect, prevent or otherwise address security, fraud or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property or safety of Apple, its users, a third party, or the public as required or permitted by law."

• Love
Reactions: Jemani

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
The following is from the current iCloud services agreement which I am guessing many here didn't read before turning on the service, much less the average user on the street who doesn't keep up with all the nerd type details others here do.

Apple reserves the right to take steps Apple believes are reasonably necessary or appropriate to enforce and/or verify compliance with any part of this Agreement. You acknowledge and agree that Apple may, without liability to you, access, use, preserve and/or disclose your Account information and Content to law enforcement authorities, government officials, and/or a third party, as Apple believes is reasonably necessary or appropriate, if legally required to do so or if Apple has a good faith belief that such access, use, disclosure, or preservation is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process or request; (b) enforce this Agreement, including investigation of any potential violation thereof; (c) detect, prevent or otherwise address security, fraud or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property or safety of Apple, its users, a third party, or the public as required or permitted by law."

Many of us did.
However there is nothing that states (for the USA) the Apple is legally required to search our devices under any circumstances except in the aid of helping law enforcement or others comply with a warrant / subpeona / other similar document. Even the laws around CSAM in the US prohibit it.

Still, to your point, most never read it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Many of us did.
However there is nothing that states (for the USA) the Apple is legally required to search our devices under any circumstances except in the aid of helping law enforcement or others comply with a warrant / subpeona / other similar document.
My point with the post was to wake people up from their complacent EULA agreement that so many click agree on without reading. Apple has been scanning photos and email for a long time now and the angst and anger wasn't en masse like it is with the new announcement, because many here said yes without having a clue or even a real care about what they were agreeing to. They have been blindly trusting Apple and that just isn't wise or safe to do, in my opinion.

You are right. There is no law stating that Apple has to proactively search your photos etc. on device. When people blindly click on agree, said persons are agreeing to Apple's terms of use.

Before people start downloading iOS 15, they need to take the time to thoroughly read the terms of use. The terms of use are made to benefit and protect Apple (first and foremost). It is time for people to start being proactive about their own actions, instead of blindly following the Apple rhetoric.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
Has anyone noticed that some of these big YouTube people have said nothing or done a video on this recent announcement from apple. Not mentioning any names but just look at their channels.
They must not want to upset the hand that feeds them I guess.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Has anyone noticed that some of these big YouTube people have said nothing or done a video on this recent announcement from apple. Not mentioning any names but just look at their channels.
Yeah. They prolly choose to go radio silent rather than angering Apple and their PR team. iUpdate has two videos up so far. Linus Tech Tip rubbed that in in one of WAN shows. Rene also did one. Also of course Louis Rossman. But no MKBHD yet.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

Which announcement?

Meanwhile I have been seeing articles and video about the stance some Apple employees are taking against this.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Yeah. They prolly choose to go radio silent rather than angering Apple and their PR team. iUpdate has two videos up so far. Linus Tech Tip rubbed that in in one of WAN shows. Rene also did one. Also of course Louis Rossman. But no MKBHD yet.

Not a surprise for some not to comment. Am surprised MK hasn’t.
I am aslo seeing less videoa about this issue showing up when I search YouTube. Not sure if the owners are pulling them, search is not finding them, or Google is blocking/removing them.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not a surprise for some not to comment. Am surprised MK hasn’t.
I am aslo seeing less videoa about this issue showing up when I search YouTube. Not sure if the owners are pulling them, search is not finding them, or Google is blocking/removing them.
I can still find iUpdate and Rene's video through search or browsing their channels, and I don't know if Google will remove them voluntarily. Unless Apple sends requests to Youtubers directly, those videos should be there for a little while.

Reactions: dk001

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010

[...]

The privacy policy is even more explicit:

"Security and Fraud Prevention. To protect individuals, employees, and Apple and for loss prevention and to prevent fraud, including to protect individuals, employees, and Apple for the benefit of all our users, and prescreening or scanning uploaded content for potentially illegal content, including child sexual exploitation material"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.